The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Default Thoughts on my Martin Woodstock 50th Anniversary

FWIW, I Just received my Martin Woodstock 50th Anniversary Dred today and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised.

I purchased it for two reasons:

1. I attended Woodstock and have great memories of it (Despite the brown blotter acid!) , and will never forget Hendrix's performance of Voodoo Child and Joe Cocker's "A Little Help From My Friends", etc. and

2. I wanted a guitar that I didn't have to worry about cracking in low humidity as I want to hang it on a wall horizontally as a piece of art.

Okay so it's not a D-28/18 etc, but does holds it's own. It sounds pretty balanced and has good sustain, and the fishman pickup is very good.

Now if I only had some more brown acid... ;-)

And it came setup as: Neck relief .010, 12 Fret E = 6/64 and e = 5/64

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...oodstock-50th/

Last edited by ScaryLarry; 02-15-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Good for you. I think they are cool. I was there Thurs, Fri, and left on Saturday. My pregnant wife couldn't take any more. We found that if we drove past the stage, we could go to a little town. Once we got down there, she wanted to get back home. Then we circled back and came down rt 17. People were camping all the way to Mahwah!

Right now I'm sitting here in my house in the mountains west of Woodstock. Where are you these days?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:53 PM

That's great! I am now in California. Winters in the Gold country (Angels Camp) and Summers in the high country (Mono County @~10,000'). Low humidity in both places.

I drove as close as I could, and left my car on the side of a road, and was smart enough to leave my car keys under one of the front tires. It took me hours to find it on Monday afternoon, and I was naked and muddy having lost my clothes, wallet etc. My parents were upset when I came into the house muddy and naked! ;-)

Hendrix was amazing on Monday. When he started to play Voodo Child the sky got dark and the wind got strong blowing cans and bottles around and it made the performance even more dramatic.

Hard to believe it's been 50 years! I thought it would be just one of many more amazing concerts. Little did I know.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Cool functional wall art! That's a really good idea!

I was a mere pup at the time (12), but do remember hearing about it - my brother was the right age (17), but the west coast was pretty far from 11225 ...

I did, however; get drug by my brother to many GREAT iconic concerts in the five years or so that followed ... 50 years ... wow.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryLarry View Post
That's great! I am now in California. Winters in the Gold country (Angels Camp) and Summers in the high country (Mono County @~10,000'). Low humidity in both places.

I drove as close as I could, and left my car on the side of a road, and was smart enough to leave my car keys under one of the front tires. It took me hours to find it on Monday afternoon, and I was naked and muddy having lost my clothes, wallet etc. My parents were upset when I came into the house muddy and naked! ;-)

Hendrix was amazing on Monday. When he started to play Voodo Child the sky got dark and the wind got strong blowing cans and bottles around and it made the performance even more dramatic.

Hard to believe it's been 50 years! I thought it would be just one of many more amazing concerts. Little did I know.
Now we know why you are Scary Larry.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:05 PM

drive-south - LOL!
Old 02-16-2019, 08:07 PM

I like it because they put the graphic on horizontally instead of vertically like so many other models of this kind. This way it can be read while the guitar is being played.

Also, I think the graphic is kinda cool.

I was surprised because ordinarily I do not care for pictures of any kind on guitar tops.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 02-16-2019, 11:00 PM

Personally I’d rather just have a framed poster and a ‘67 D-28. If it were a D-28 with a Grit Laskin style of inlay on the fretboard or headstock I would think of it as cool but quite frankly I think that painted guitar tops are like wraps on sport cars that kids seem to like these days: akin to graffiti.

FWIW I was born slightly south of there that summer so I can’t really comment on the festivities.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

I think it’s pretty cool and playable...? Is intonation acceptable? As someone said, functional art that you can pull off the wall and play. Wish they would have left the fishman off and cut cost another $100. Maybe i’ll trade in my Little Martin FeLIXII for one!🤔 LOL. Enjoy it!
Old 02-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Scary, I've got a question.

How many people would you say were actually there any more when Hendrix played? It was now the fourth day of Peace & Love and most people had something to get back to.

For years after, if you believed everyone who said they saw Hendrix at Woodstock, it seemed like half the people on the East Coast were there!

I don't know what that little town was, but it was not that down the same road that went behind the stage. We were able to sit in a regular restaurant and have breakfast, but, once got a little comfort, she just wanted to go home.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:03 PM

Lowrider - Not really sure, but a lot less than Sunday for sure. A lot of people left on Sunday due to the weather, but I was determined to see Hendrix. I've been to many concerts since, and nothing compared.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I think it’s pretty cool and playable...? Is intonation acceptable? As someone said, functional art that you can pull off the wall and play. Wish they would have left the fishman off and cut cost another $100. Maybe i’ll trade in my Little Martin FeLIXII for one!🤔 LOL. Enjoy it!
Definitely playable and the intonation is about spot on and as I stated, the
setup is very good.

Actually the fishman pickup sounds pretty amazing on this guitar.

You can get $50 off is you ask at the big mail-order stores.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Personally I’d rather just have a framed poster and a ‘67 D-28. If it were a D-28 with a Grit Laskin style of inlay on the fretboard or headstock I would think of it as cool...
How about about a D-35?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodstock D35.jpg (47.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 12.07.25 PM.jpg (63.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 02:28 PM

Makes perfect sense to have gotten this Martin.......I can see where having it on your wall would be very special. The Martin HPL's are better than one would expect. I bet it is fun to play and cool to look at.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 02-17-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
How about about a D-35?
I actually like the DX Woodstock better and it's 1/7th the price! I am sure they will sell a bunch of these also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion