The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Doug, I'm sure it's seated properly in the slot. I removed my shim a few times as I was lowering the action and it's completely flat on both sides. The issue is with the "A" string which I think is weird and volume wise it is quite a bit lower than the others, annoyingly so I might add.
I'd contact Rich and see what he suggests. I'd expect that the design of the soloist would minimize string balance issues, but there can be so many possible problems with any UST (actually any pickup...) in this respect.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'd contact Rich and see what he suggests. I'd expect that the design of the soloist would minimize string balance issues, but there can be so many possible problems with any UST (actually any pickup...) in this respect.
Yep I most definitely will ask Rich if he has any suggestions. Although, because it's on the A string I have a bad feeling on what he might say.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:37 PM

Update:

I figured out the string balancing issue I was having. Keeping in mind the Soloist I have was bought from another member so it wasn't specifically made for my guitar. Length wise it doesn't fill the entire saddle slot (just a few mm short) so I just played around with the positioning a bit until I eventually got them all even.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Glad you figured it out. I wonder if it's worth another go at ToneDexter, with this fixed. No idea, but it seems possible that significant string balance issues might confuse tonedexter.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Glad you figured it out. I wonder if it's worth another go at ToneDexter, with this fixed. No idea, but it seems possible that significant string balance issues might confuse tonedexter.
Absolutely. When the kids go to bed tonight I will play around with it again.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:42 PM

To resurrect this thread, mostly due to other unfortunate issues, I have the Barbera Soloist back installed and managed to get some nice wavemaps with Tonedexter. With other pickups I was basically using 3 particular mic positions for my wavemaps but for whatever reason those positions wouldn't give me a good wavemap with the Soloist. After some trial and error I managed to find a mic position that worked for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification