The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

View Poll Results: What Comes First In Songwriting?
For me the music comes before the lyrics..... 17 22.67%
For me the lyrics come before the music..... 7 9.33%
It depends for me....A little of both it seems.... 37 49.33%
I wish I could write music for my lyrics!.... 3 4.00%
I wish I could write lyrics for my music!.... 7 9.33%
I have no talent in either department.... 4 5.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2019, 05:17 AM

Truefire just published a lesson with Ellis Paul entitled: "Song Factory: Birth of a Song (A creative system for inspired songwriting).

Much of it is intuitive, but it does provide some needed structure and ideas of where to go next. I recommend it!

Rick
Old 02-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Truefire just published a lesson with Ellis Paul entitled: "Song Factory: Birth of a Song (A creative system for inspired songwriting).

Much of it is intuitive, but it does provide some needed structure and ideas of where to go next. I recommend it!

Rick
I just decided to purchase that last night as I really like Ellis and his approach to his songwriting. I am looking forward to exploring it this week.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdambrosemusic View Post
I was rather surprised that this was not an option.

I know personally for me this was influenced by the fact that I write at home where I can listen directly in my DAW and save what I'm working on.
Lyrics and melody coming at the same time might not have been a poll option since it may be rather rare for most folks. I have only had one song that came to me with lyrics and melody at the same time and it was a very cool experience. Interesting thought about what influence might have on cultivating that option. Thanks for sharing that.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Like most everyone else it's a hazy combo.

For me the usual is a line comes, whether pre music or as I sing. Often the line is pretty obtuse even to me. But then I turn it over in my head and find a story for how it got there. At that point I try to get a verse and a chorus. Once I've gotten that I can tend to get on with it without the guitar to some extent.

The other challenge is do you keep the same measure/feet count for each and every verse or do you allow every verse to follow the lyrical direction. I do both but certainly some measures can be super hard to write to and you end up literally counting out syllables.

This is one about my Mum getting dementia and us having to put her in a home. I definitely combined both approaches above because... Well there was a lot to say and I really wanted the story to be as clear as possible (without venturing into super literal Nashville revolution territory).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPhpWzb0LPU

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write