The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-02-2019, 06:09 PM

Default I'm after a mandolin.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
A 300 dollar mandolin is like a fifty dollar guitar. Really throwing your money away.

I’m new to the mandolin, but this seems hyperbolic. I just picked up a Kentucky KM-270 oval hole for not much more than that (a new and unblemished open-box model). It’s all solid wood with a thin nitro finish, and I’d say that’s a step up in quality from a similarly priced guitar. It came pretty highly recommended as a starter mandolin from multiple sources, and the online user reviews are quite positive. Build quality is okay—not exceptional, but fine—and the sound is satisfying. It’s fun to play, and that’s what matters to me at this point. If I stick with it, I can see wanting a nicer mandolin at some point, but I’m not in any hurry for now.

Last edited by AgentKooper; 02-02-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:33 AM

Mandolin is more intuitive are far as fingering due to its tuning. You do have to spend more if you want any quality at all. Poorly made/voiced mandolins sound like you dropped all your silverware on a hardwood floor. Physically, the double course strings do not suffer marginal tuners or neck carves. The good news is that quality instruments are available at reasonable prices used, $1500 gets you an excellent used A style.

Other considerations....

Plan on trying a lot of different strings to find some that work well. Mandolins are VERY string sensitive.

Plan on learning to use a thick pick. By "thick", I mean something 2.5mm or larger with properly beveled edges.

Lots of good online resources for material and you will find tunes tend to come to you quicker. Getting good tone is much harder and you will need to really work to get your right hand capable.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
But I recently saw a show by Kate Rusby...
Funny, a Kate Rusby record (Underneath the Stars) was the thing that made me want to play mandolin many years ago.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:37 PM

I've pulled the trigger on an Ashbury 'Lindisfarne' mando. At £420 it was a little over the price that I had in mind. I love it.....can play Irish/ Scottish/ Lebanese folk on it.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
I've pulled the trigger on an Ashbury 'Lindisfarne' mando. At £420 it was a little over the price that I had in mind. I love it.....can play Irish/ Scottish/ Lebanese folk on it.
Wow, I looked up that model - very nice indeed! Had not heard of this maker, and I’ve never seen a mandolin with koa back and sides. I hope you are enjoying it. I ended up with a Collings A-style after going through a couple of beginner models. I love it.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Funny, a Kate Rusby record (Underneath the Stars) was the thing that made me want to play mandolin many years ago.
It's a great album of traditional British folk style with a few contemporary tracks put in.
I believe the mando/cittern player is John McCusker.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:34 AM

Edit: tried posting a link to a pic. Didn’t work.

Last edited by Puddleglum; 03-06-2019 at 12:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments