The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Tone of the Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 with a better neck?

I love the tone of the Martin D-28 Authentic 1937.
I hate the neck, and many people do. (I find it too thin in the first position and tapers way too fast up the neck. A generally chunky neck is far more ergonomic.)

My question is: What single guitar--by any maker--has the closest tone to the D-28A'37 with a more typical 30s style neck?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 PM

I'd go with a rosewood or granadillo dreadnought from Pre-War Guitar Compay. Fantastic tone and their neck carve is really nice.

Martin * Pre-War Guitars * Brothers Music
Old 02-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintitthelife98 View Post
I'd go with a rosewood or granadillo dreadnought from Pre-War Guitar Compay. Fantastic tone and their neck carve is really nice.
I’ve heard wonderful things about these pre war co guitars. Is their tone really that similar to the D28A? Given how dry and, potentially, a bit harsh/less lush they seem on record compared to the Martins, I am very curious to hear their Indian rosewood version—perhaps warmer, lusher, richer? I would very much love to play a PW guitar! Thank you!
Old 02-16-2019, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

The neck on the ‘37 D28 Authentic is plain dead weird I admit. But, I got around it just by adapting like I do for most guitars. It doesn’t even faze me anymore. Especially after the first notes hit my eardrum.

I do want to play a Pre War guitar. Have never seen one in Austin or the Bay.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-16-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I’ve heard wonderful things about these pre war co guitars. Is their tone really that similar to the D28A? Given how dry and, potentially, a bit harsh/less lush they seem on record compared to the Martins, I am very curious to hear their Indian rosewood version—perhaps warmer, lusher, richer? I would very much love to play a PW guitar! Thank you!
They definitely will have a dryer tone to them than the D28A but I personally prefer that. I have not played or heard their Indian Rosewood guitars so I can't speak to those.

Where are you located? I'd imagine there is someone near by with a Pre-War Guitar that you could try. There is a pretty big thread about them on UMGF in the Guitar Gallery section.

Martin * Pre-War Guitars * Brothers Music
Old 02-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Had a 37 D28A. Wonderful guitar. Tried to want to like the neck. Could not and A/B’d the D28A against a DL Wilson BRW dread. Bought the Wilson because the tone, volume and neck were better (for me). Sold the D28A.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion