The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-24-2021, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson electrics...neck breaks at headstock

Perhaps a "Capt. Obvious" question...but I see a ton of Gibson Les Pauls & SG's that have had the neck broken at the base of the headstock. I see it mostly on older instruments for sale, not newer models so much.

Is this from people knocking the guitar over while on a stand onstage...or just being too careless with their instruments? Is this a weak point on Gibson electrics...and, why?
Old 02-24-2021, 09:08 AM

It's more common on Gibsons because the neck is angled back as well as the head stock too. Unlike a Fender for example where the head stock is flat on the same plane as the fretbaord. And yes falling off guitar stands is a common cause. When you walk off stage and trip on the cord and pull your beloved Gibson off the stand and it hits the stage. IF it falls backwards then the first point to hit the ground is the tip of the head stock.

A weak point? Well yes kind of but the back angle on the neck does make playing more comfortable for many people.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

As redir noted above, it seems to mostly be caused by the headstock making contact with the floor, as in someone knocking it off of the stand or dropping it. I'm not aware of any that just broke for no reason, but I'm not saying it couldn't happen. I had an Epiphone LP at one point that had a neck break. It was an easy enough repair, but it's still disconcerting.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Hey Ozark,

I think the reason you see it on older instruments is because back then we didn't have guitar stands. Nobody did. We leaned them up against our amps or a chair or whatever was around. It was inevitable that some would fall or be knocked over. you don't see as much of it nowadays, because we have tons of stands to choose from. That is why (or at least one of the major reasons) stands are now so common. I don't remember exactly when they became widely available, but i think it was late 70's early 80's.
I have a good memory, it's just short.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 02-24-2021, 01:13 PM

It can happen with either forward or backward falls. It can happen in or outside the case. The angle of the headstock. the weight and size of it. The lack of Volute... On forward falls it's a matter of momentum and inertia. The headstock wants to keep moving after the neck stops. Whiplash if you will.

It's one of the reasons PRS has a small headstock.

And some folks consider a repaired neck break as "better" Not me. But they are out there!
Old 02-24-2021, 02:01 PM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, they don't spontaneously break. Someone has to drop the thing or knock it down. That isn't recommended for musical instruments, thou knowest. I've got a 1974 Kalamazoo Les Paul Standard I bought used in '77 that has survived this long without a break. Knock on wood and thank the Lord. In fact, none of the six Gibsons I've owned have suffered a broken neck.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Years ago, I bought 10 Epiphone Sheratons (John Lee Hooker model) from MF on a SDOTD. It was either 4 or 5 of them had a headstock break when they arrived at my house via UPS.

They were in their hard case in in the original shipping boxes. Somewhere along the line, they took a pretty good hit.

I sent them back without any problems.

Last edited by Bluside; 02-24-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:06 PM

The headstock is also weakened with the cavity where the truss rod is .
Old 02-24-2021, 09:30 PM

It's from people knocking it over, but, I believe alot of it has to do with Gibson's neck design. The break always happens at that exact point which is the "V" part that joins the neck and the headstock.

I've heard stories of people leaving it on the stand where the wind knocked it over and it hit the floor which caused the break.

The most nerve-racking experience for me was that I had to fly and check in my LP on a 14 hour flight. Thankfully it survived.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:05 AM

Loosen the strings for shipping, airplanes, etc. I insist on it when purchasing long distance.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
...I see a ton of Gibson Les Pauls & SG's that have had the neck broken at the base of the headstock.

Is this a weak point on Gibson electrics...and, why?
This is a built-in feature to prevent far more massively destructive damage to the rest of the guitar.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:59 AM

Agree with all of the prior comments, but some of it also has to do with mahogany as a neck wood. Mahogany isn't actually that strong on impact. Maple is much tougher (you might say more flexible, I guess).
Old 02-25-2021, 07:01 AM

Not just Gibsons,, any guitar with a set neck and that back angle with the head stock is vulnerable, it's literally the Achilles heel and Gravity is not your friend.

I know a few techs that say fixing these breaks is probably the biggest single source of income they have. And most are 100% fixable. The best bet if this happens to you, is just find someone who's been in the bizz for a while, chances are, they've fixed dozens of them before.

I have 6 Gibsons, a few of them have some years on them, knock on wood, none of them have ever had to have a headstock repaired.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Not just Gibsons,, any guitar with a set neck and that back angle with the head stock is vulnerable, it's literally the Achilles heel and Gravity is not your friend.

I know a few techs that say fixing these breaks is probably the biggest single source of income they have. And most are 100% fixable. The best bet if this happens to you, is just find someone who's been in the bizz for a while, chances are, they've fixed dozens of them before.

I have 6 Gibsons, a few of them have some years on them, knock on wood, none of them have ever had to have a headstock repaired.
It's definitely bread and butter for a lot of shops. I can almost tell when they walk in with that deer in the headlights look. Their beloved Gibson has a cracked headstock and they think it's toast and I'm like, "Nah man it will only cost ya $100 bucks and will be good as new."
Old 02-25-2021, 10:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

That's funny. My luthier tech tells me his bread and butter is correcting the bad work some other techs do. But really, he's one of those guys who always has a bunch of out-of-town work waiting in his shop. It's good to see him busy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars