The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2020, 03:15 AM

Thanks Aaron. I will try your mic position and Make some new IR’s. Your IR’s sound better than mine. I do like more of the sparkle and less of the boxy midrange. I assume you have the ability in the preamp you used to EQ the mic prior to the Optima. If so, did you make any adjustments or just leave the settings flat?

Also, I used a analog mixer as a mic preamp. Do you think I could get a better result going another route?

The more time I spend with this pedal, the more I like it. You are correct in saying that If used only for the DI, EQ and reverb, it’s a great value. My Taylor sounds great with just this alone. Is it me or is there a huge range built in the EQ? Seems a little goes a long way. You can get a really good blend balancing the preamp’s gain with the IR level on the pedal.

As always, great job on the review and thanks for doing this.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks Aaron. I will try your mic position and Make some new IR’s. Your IR’s sound better than mine. I do like more of the sparkle and less of the boxy midrange. I assume you have the ability in the preamp you used to EQ the mic prior to the Optima. If so, did you make any adjustments or just leave the settings flat?

Also, I used a analog mixer as a mic preamp. Do you think I could get a better result going another route?

The more time I spend with this pedal, the more I like it. You are correct in saying that If used only for the DI, EQ and reverb, it’s a great value. My Taylor sounds great with just this alone. Is it me or is there a huge range built in the EQ? Seems a little goes a long way. You can get a really good blend balancing the preamp’s gain with the IR level on the pedal.

As always, great job on the review and thanks for doing this.
Thanks! Yes the EQ is very powerful. I’m sure the mic preamp will make a difference but I didn’t EQ it on the way in.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Here is my review:

I think this is the best IR pedal I've heard yet. The top end isn't full of artifacts, and the distance sounds "right". It comes across as more immediate than others. Really cool!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 09-24-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I think this is the best IR pedal I've heard yet. The top end isn't full of artifacts, and the distance sounds "right". It comes across as more immediate than others. Really cool!
I have to agree. The Nux demos I saw online did not sound good at all but Aaron made it sound great. I often find IR pedals can sound hollow or digital but this sounds very good.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I have to agree. The Nux demos I saw online did not sound good at all but Aaron made it sound great. I often find IR pedals can sound hollow or digital but this sounds very good.
Some of the demos are of the stock IR’s only. One demo makes an IR with a guitar and tries to use it with another guitar. I think there is still a lot of misunderstanding. I know I’m still getting my head around it!
Old 09-25-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Some of the demos are of the stock IR’s only. One demo makes an IR with a guitar and tries to use it with another guitar. I think there is still a lot of misunderstanding. I know I’m still getting my head around it!

Great review and tips, thanks Aaron. It really is a nice piece of kit, especially for the price.

I am going to try your technique of aiming the mic "up" the fretboard.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 10-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Is anyone using one of these and happy with it? I’m working on a review and it would be useful to hear your experiences.
Yes, I'm happy with the Nux Optima Air. I got a Taylor 914ce with an ES2 installed and the preset of the 814 is very close to my 914 and works great with the ES2. On the other hand, the ES2 doesn't sound/work to well with the other preset images. I really prefer it over the Tonedexter (returned it after 2 weeks) and my trusty Fishman Aura Spectrum. I blend the image and the PU about 40/60 This is how I blend the PU and my DPA4099 CORE. Adds enough air for a natural sound without sacrificing the directness of the PU.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:00 PM

PS: What I'm missing are a PAD and a PHASE switch. I use the Optima Air with a Fishman SA330, which has both. Via my Acus amp the Optima Air is all hiss and noise, as was the Tonedexter.

Edit: Downloaded the files Cuki79 made with a Taylor 814ce DLX and loaded them into the Nux Optima Air. Solved all issues regarding hiss and noise. Cudos to Cuki79 and jonfields45 for the IR files and the insights regarding IR.

Last edited by stringbound; 10-30-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:39 AM

Hi Aaron,
Thanks for an excellent comprehensive review of the 'NU X Optima Air'.
Please can you tell me if the Bass, Mids, Trebles and DIout are identical to the Stageman Floor in terms of sound. If so I believe the extra costs for the Optima would be well justified as the Stageman Floor is a very good preamp on its own.

Cheers Alan
Old 10-31-2020, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmarle View Post
Hi Aaron,
Thanks for an excellent comprehensive review of the 'NU X Optima Air'.
Please can you tell me if the Bass, Mids, Trebles and DIout are identical to the Stageman Floor in terms of sound. If so I believe the extra costs for the Optima would be well justified as the Stageman Floor is a very good preamp on its own.

Cheers Alan
I believe they are. Obviously the features on each are different.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
Edit: Downloaded the files Cuki79 made with a Taylor 814ce DLX and loaded them into the Nux Optima Air. Solved all issues regarding hiss and noise. Cudos to Cuki79 and jonfields45 for the IR files and the insights regarding IR.
Thanks, I added two guitars today and we have now 81 guitars in the database!

Unfortunately, we have been attacked by bots, so I don't allow messages on the website anymore. People who can not use the free app, will have to reach me through the AGF.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-01-2020, 08:02 AM

For those who care: I’ve just have a quick chat with Nux support over Messenger (they replied within 10’ on Sunday!). The input impedance is 10M ohms and the output is 1k ohms.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Thanks, I added two guitars today and we have now 81 guitars in the database!

Unfortunately, we have been attacked by bots, so I don't allow messages on the website anymore. People who can not use the free app, will have to reach me through the AGF.

Thanks Cuki. I've sent you a PM as I cannot download any IR's from the database. Just curious if there was something I was missing or perhaps it's just something on my network/pc's end blocking them.

EDIT- a quick workaround is opening the IR file google doc page in a "new window" and then trying to download. Weirdly, that works.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------

Last edited by Akousticplyr; 11-01-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I've read in discussions about the ToneDexter that mag pickups (Dimarzio Angel, Fishman Rare Earth, etc.) don't fare well in it. Is the same true of the Optima Air? I'm assuming yes, but It'd be helpful to get confirmation.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euraquilo View Post
I've read in discussions about the ToneDexter that mag pickups (Dimarzio Angel, Fishman Rare Earth, etc.) don't fare well in it. Is the same true of the Optima Air? I'm assuming yes, but It'd be helpful to get confirmation.
True. IR are made for linear response pickup. The response of a mag pickup is not linear, because each string experience a comb filtering that is different. Google “pickup comb filter till” and you will find a clear explanation. To have the same benefit you would a need a Hex mag pickup and 6 IR pedals with corresponding IR file for each string....
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification