The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-02-2023, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Brad Clark SuperNatural Pickup Review

Has anyone else tried this?
Old 07-03-2023, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Great review, as always, Aaron - thanks. I remember hearing that Brad Clark was working on a pickup system some time back and was wondering when that was going to show up. I really liked the tone from that first example of the pickup system that you had custom dialed in. Oddly, I really didn't like the sound of that guitar mic'd as it had a very noticeable and annoying plink or clinkiness in that high end that jumped out at me. But once you started the pickup demo that was gone. Not sure how I feel about the little battery tool as it seems like it's a prime issue for either wearing out, breaking or losing it when you need it most. I suppose if you have a guitar you love that you just can't get a great pickup sound out of it's worth a try but in all honesty I'm sure I'd just buy a Cole Clark guitar.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I really liked the tone from that first example of the pickup system that you had custom dialed in. Oddly, I really didn't like the sound of that guitar mic'd as it had a very noticeable and annoying plink or clinkiness in that high end that jumped out at me. But once you started the pickup demo that was gone.
Same here. Didn't like the mic only tone either, but the pickup sounds good.
But with all the parts it doesn't look like an easy DIY install.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Great review, as always, Aaron - thanks. I remember hearing that Brad Clark was working on a pickup system some time back and was wondering when that was going to show up. I really liked the tone from that first example of the pickup system that you had custom dialed in. Oddly, I really didn't like the sound of that guitar mic'd as it had a very noticeable and annoying plink or clinkiness in that high end that jumped out at me. But once you started the pickup demo that was gone. Not sure how I feel about the little battery tool as it seems like it's a prime issue for either wearing out, breaking or losing it when you need it most. I suppose if you have a guitar you love that you just can't get a great pickup sound out of it's worth a try but in all honesty I'm sure I'd just buy a Cole Clark guitar.
It’s worth noting that the guitar sustained damage to the end pin which is why I didn’t review the guitar solely as an acoustic guitar in case it was somehow compromised.

Last edited by AeroUSA; 07-03-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Cool review, Aaron! Interesting system. I really thought the battery replacement was cool. You mentioned 6 holes in the bridge for installation. That might be kind of daunting.

It sounded pretty good and your review was systematic and informative, as always.

You did mention Cole Clark and Maton in the review and the obvious connection. I have a slightly off-topic question, as I know you have played both CC and Maton.

Is the neck profile on the Cole Clark similar to Maton? I have gigged a Maton as my main stage acoustic for the past 2 years. It always sounds great live and is predictable and easy to dial in. Just plug in and go, for the most part. I don't love the guitar itself, though. I've tweaked it a lot, but the neck profile is a little on the deep side for me, and though I'm not sure of the fingerboard radius, it feels less flat than some other guitars I like.

Again, off-topic - but any insight on how the Cole Clark feels in the left hand? Bigger, smaller, Wider, thinner, etc?

Thanks for the great info as always.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Nice review.

As a side note, I've used feedback busters that have soundhole controls. You just cut out a portion of the rubber feedback buster to accomodate the controls. You're still covering 80-90% of the soundhole. It's the long waves that cause the most feedback issues anyway.
Old 07-03-2023, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Nice review.

As a side note, I've used feedback busters that have soundhole controls. You just cut out a portion of the rubber feedback buster to accomodate the controls. You're still covering 80-90% of the soundhole. It's the long waves that cause the most feedback issues anyway.
Yeah I know but I prefer not having to do any cutting and covering the whole thing.
Old 07-04-2023, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mic had nothing to do with the pickup. Used only as a reference. While you can get the system with a mic, I believe he said that the guitar he was sent had a UST paired with a SBT.

To date the Cole Clark system is the best I've heard.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-04-2023, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Well, Aaron, it all sounded pretty good. I'll take my single-source Trance Amulet Dual Mono M installations over this Brad Clark system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-25-2024, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Back on this pickup. Your video says "link to their web site below." But I'm not finding a link.

Of course the question is can this be installed in a separate guitar? Surfing it I find their are mfrs (Kepma, Auden) that are including it as an option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification