The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Default Really Enjoying Michael Bashkin's Luthier on Luthier Podcast

Hello AGF,

I'm now a few years into exploring the world behind the scenes of acoustic guitars. AGF has been a phenomenal resource, of course. I recently found out about Michael Bashkin's podcast and have been practically binge listening to it these past few weeks. It's been a lot of fun and super insightful. The differences in approach, influence, and personality has been so much fun to delve into. I'd love to hear others experiences. Did anyone commission a guitar after hearing a podcast? Is there a particularly memorable one for you? A personality that surprised you? The Paul Heumiller interview was fascinating for me. I visited his shop a few months ago without getting the chance to meet him and even still it was one of the most memorable acoustic guitar experiences I've ever had.
Saez Marin G90 (Cedar/EIR)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM

I listen to it it as well. It’s a good show, and I usually learn something from it!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I may come off sounding really old, but how does one find and listen to a podcast? This sounds interesting so I’d like to try it.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/category/podcasts/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I may come off sounding really old, but how does one find and listen to a podcast? This sounds interesting so I’d like to try it.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I've listened to maybe half of them. The one with Paul really stood out to me as well. He's not a luthier, but his impact on and knowledge of the market is fascinating. And his stories about on yoga and prison are quite memorable.
I liked the Jason Kostal one as well. The NAGS interviews later covered some of the same ground, but that just shows how consistent in his philosophy Jason is.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

It a great podcast, I also recommend the fretboard journal podcast by Jason Verlinde, both fantastic.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

Have listened to every episode - highly enjoyable when faced with a long drive or plane ride. As previously mentioned Paul and Kostal’s episode was great but I really liked Joe Glaser’s episode, with John Slobod’s interview being worth a mention as well!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab.phila View Post
…I recently found out about Michael Bashkin's podcast and have been practically binge listening to it these past few weeks. It's been a lot of fun and super insightful. The differences in approach, influence, and personality has been so much fun to delve into.
Hi j.p.

Great show isn't it? I love the interaction and discussion, and reality that not all builders are alike.

Michael is also a great host and wonderful guitar maker (I own a 2005 Bashkin OM - Myrtlewood/Italian Spruce fanned fret…Baby #2 in the footer).

The podcast is a delight to listen to not only for information, but the overall tone of the discussions with adequate time for semi-lengthy conversation now and then.

Learning the history of builders is fascinating.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion