The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-21-2021, 04:53 PM

Default Reverend Guitars opinions?

Anyone have opinion on Reverend Guitars they'd like to share? I'm specifically looking at the Contender 290 for the P90 pickups.

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guit...tender-290-291
Old 02-21-2021, 05:20 PM

I have a <something - can't remember what it's called> 390. They are solid guitars. Mine sounds and plays great. The P-90's rock!

I highly recommend them.

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 02-21-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I have owned two. One had P90s. Both were very good guitars! No complaints here!
Old 02-21-2021, 07:54 PM

I've had 3 of them, still have 2. Reverends are great guitars, well built and include all the bells and whistles stock. Just keep in mind they are their own thing. Don't buy one expecting a Gibson or Fender copy. That bass rolloff makes them really handy for gigging, you can cover a lot of ground with them.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
Anyone have opinion on Reverend Guitars they'd like to share? I'm specifically looking at the Contender 290 for the P90 pickups.

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guit...tender-290-291
Check out this Phil McKnight video, he ranks imports in a certain price range from worst to best. Reverend came in at #3, just behind Schecter and Fender. He's one of the very few YT guys who actually knows what he's talking about, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3z1TSRJoMg
Old 02-23-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Check out this Phil McKnight video, he ranks imports in a certain price range from worst to best. Reverend came in at #3, just behind Schecter and Fender. He's one of the very few YT guys who actually knows what he's talking about, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3z1TSRJoMg
Phil McKnight is my favorite YouTuber. I listen to his podcasts (weekly QA) in the car and watch his other videos. That was a great video (I watched it when it came out).
Old 02-23-2021, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

I've had several over the years going back to a US made Slingshot with a composite body and 2 P90 pickups. I've also had a Pete Anderson PA-1 as well as a Jetstream 390, both Korean made. All were great guitars with unique and very usable features. They are very good instruments.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Phil McKnight is my favorite YouTuber. I listen to his podcasts (weekly QA) in the car and watch his other videos. That was a great video (I watched it when it came out).
I like him, the 5 Watt guy, and Rick Beato when he's not live or part of a group thing. I actually like Darrell Braun too: some people slag him for never saying anything negative, saying he's just a shill, but I have not found that to be the case. If he doesn't like something he comes right out with it; he's just not a jerk about it.

I can't think of any beyond that right now, honestly.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:16 PM

The music and arts I took lessons at pre-covid had on on the rack for a while. It was nicely made. I think the one, I think it was the Sensei model, that was very nice, IMO. Well made. Nice fit and finish. Played nicely. I never plugged it in to anything, so I don't know how it sounded but it looked like a good guitar.

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/sensei-ra
Old 02-25-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I like him, the 5 Watt guy, and Rick Beato when he's not live or part of a group thing. I actually like Darrell Braun too: some people slag him for never saying anything negative, saying he's just a shill, but I have not found that to be the case. If he doesn't like something he comes right out with it; he's just not a jerk about it.

I can't think of any beyond that right now, honestly.
Yes, I also subscribe to Darrell Braun and watch most of his vids. Fluff (Riffs, Beards & Gear channel) has some great videos too although his playing is always downtuned metal. His "Rate or Roast my Rig" videos are funny. People send in pics of their rig (guitar/amp/pedals) and he adds humour as he rates/roasts the rigs.

Back to the thread .
arwhite (OP) - did you make a decision on the Reverend?
Old 02-25-2021, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Decide yet? Thats a sharp looking guitar, and it looks like they got all the important components well thought out. Keep us posted if theres a NGD coming!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-25-2021, 05:12 PM

I don’t own a Reverend but I’ve heard nothing but good things about them. It might be worth a try.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 02-26-2021, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Some of the best built guitars that I’ve owned. The older USA versions are favored a bit more then the newer offerings. However, having owned and played both...they’re not miles apart.

The roasted maple necks play fantastic. Took me a while to get used to the pickups (Jet Stream HB) but once I got them dialed in they were fine. Locking tuners. Good caps/pots. Roasted maple neck. Hand wound pickups.

There’s not really anything negative to say. Great guitars.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 03-04-2021, 10:25 AM

I had a Reverend Rocco, purchased around 20 years ago IIRC. The neck was great and it sounded good too.

Traded it to a playing pal a number of years ago. I mostly played my "pseudo-Duo-Sonic". I found I prefer short scale electric guitars, it's what I was used to.
But that's me, there was nothing wrong with the Rocco.

edit: there was one thing. I broke a tuning peg on it, the only time that has happened to me on any guitar. Just by using it, normally. And then later on the guy I sold it to also broke a tuning peg.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:35 PM

I just bought one of their Airwave 12-strings. It's a gorgeous, very well made instrument, with remarkably good intonation and playability, particularly for a 12. My only complaint about it is that the tone coming out of the P-90s is a little darker than I think a 12 should sound, but I'm learning to work with it.

I've also owned a Reverend tube amp for almost 20 years, and it's still going strong. They make good stuff.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars