The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
...and puppies, kitties and bicycles...
Sad about the first two. Having done well selling two used bikes, I'm probably almost as interested in that as in a used guitar.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I've never known guitar prices to go down. In 1973 I had to choose between a new Martin D 18 that cost $450 and a new Guild D 25 that cost $240. I've given up on waiting for those prices to come down.

(The guitar shop threw in a set of strings, an A=440 tuning fork, and an elastic capo when I bought the Guild, by the way.)
Bear in mind that $450 in 1973 is worth $2761 today. And today's D-18, with a little seasoning, is likely a much better guitar than the one you were considering back in tha day. It's honestly a bargain.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:02 PM

I have a friend who is an older programmer that moved to Portland from SF Bay area so he could buy a home. He is beyond working 60 hour weeks so willing to be a contract worker. Five years ago he had to take less money in Portland. Today with work from home the norm, he signed a contract for SF money. So those with skills will come out fine in the new reality. Those that don't are screwed. So maybe the haves will buy more guitars to make up for the have nots. Time will tell.
2014 Martin 00 15 12 fret custom
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play your guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-28-2021, 02:39 PM

IMHO everything will have price increases.
Mostly because of tax increases.
2018 X30
Old 01-28-2021, 03:02 PM

Like others have said, list and street prices for new instruments won't come down - they're going to try and hold that line as much as they can. But it may mean that they can't or won't raise list prices as much (if at all) in coming years.

The used market could soften. Whether it's guitars, pedals, etc they're all hovering close to what you could buy brand new.

Who knows. It's also the "Reverb effect" - so many folks try and jack up their asking prices to account for the cut that Reverb (or eBay) takes. I don't know for sure, but my hunch is that Reverb has taken off during the pandemic as well. And since Reverb becomes one of the main reference points for used prices, it ends up inflating the value of the used market, since you'll use the Reverb price to set your initial asking price whether you're selling there, or on here, or locally.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Post pandemic used prices= bear market. Used prices down. Used volume up. I just sold a 2015 Gibson 345 custom for $800 more than I paid for it new. This never happens unless it is the top of the market.
My thoughts too, especially in the sub $1000 market. Many people bought guitars for the first time and many of them will have decided guitar isn't for them.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:53 PM

Remember how 80%-90% of the comments back in March and April of 2020 on future prices predicted an abundance of great deals as a projected mass of people would need to sell to pay their bills?

Most people donít need to and donít want to sell their guitars. And a vast majority of the instruments that never get played simply stay where they are or are passed along to family.

I doubt selling prices go down. But we may see fewer of those ridiculously high asking prices on instruments that sit for months with no takers.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:07 AM

Called Maury and asked for his best price. He said the price on his website was his best. I was surprised after reading about his discounts. Btw the guitar was in stock.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion