The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-22-2021, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Just recorded this morning, the Stones, "You Got the Silver". I'm no singer, but really neither is Keith, so I don't mind doing his songs - I'm not trying to live up to much. When I listened back, the vocal only made me really cringe once, which may be a new record for me. Only three tracks, one for rhythm and vocal, a quiet one for backing lead, and another for the louder lead intro and break.

There was a new update I had to install this morning - I couldn't find anything it changed, but I'm sure there's something in there. I did notice I was getting a bit of feedback from my headphones back to the Spire, which has never happened with those headphones or any others - maybe they adjusted the sensitivity somewhat...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 02-09-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Another "Stayin' at Home" video, this time using the Spire Studio to record multiple tracks (instead of the MV88+ mic), shot with an iPhone 11 Pro, video production with iMovie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzYX...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-22-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

That’s really impressive Jim. Multi-instrumental with video to match. I know how you do the recording, but no clue how you match up the video, not to mention multiple frames in the video... Cool SG too!

-Ray
Old 01-22-2021, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
That’s really impressive Jim. Multi-instrumental with video to match. I know how you do the recording, but no clue how you match up the video, not to mention multiple frames in the video... Cool SG too!

-Ray
Thanks, Ray. I did my first video "production" this summer with a couple songs I did with my music partner. The only video software I have is iMovie (came on the MacBook Pro), so I have been messing with that. I'm sure there is a smart way to match up the video, but I just "trim and move" until it matches, since each of these are shot at different times. I've been told that Final Cut Pro is more "feature rich," but... old dogs, new tricks.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Another "Stayin' at Home" video, thanks to the wind blowing like stink here in the Tropical Tip (temps in the upper 70s, though). Again, I started with six tracks with the Spire Studio, then shot some video, then the tedious part: all the editing. Less than five hours... and it kept me out of the Blonde's hair while she is working on another quilting project. Plus, I just like making music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNsu...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-27-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Another "Stayin' at Home" video. Not my fault - Mother Nature gave us another day with wind blowing like stink (gusting to 35mph), but moderate temperatures (upper 60s). If I don't immerse myself in a music project, it's a sure bet that my wife will find some kind of "project" for me to work on.

This one started out to be a one view, record it for the camera video like most of the "Stayin' at Home" series. After doing a few "full band" projects, I couldn't leave it at that. After recording guitar and vocal tracks on the Spire, I felt it needed more... yeah, a quiet(ish) bass track. On to the video. Mostly one view, with a couple close up inserts. All in, less than 2 hours.

This one is a cover of the James Taylor song Country Road...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=balX...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Captain Jim; 04-20-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Another long-distance collaboration, with me in Texas and my music partner in Arizona. This one is a cover of the Van Morrison song Wild Night (something I've been playing since it was first popular). Mark: keyboards, bass, guitar; me: vocals, guitars, drums.

This project started with a song choice, then I did several tracks on the Spire Studio. Mark added several tracks, some back and forth, then he took it to a DAW (Logic Pro X) to do the music production. Then, on to the video (my part). I gave Mark some suggestions on what to shoot to make my video editing more streamlined. This one has my part being done in my home studio, where most of his video was out and about. Then, on to the video editing.

Here's the result...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f413Z5_j-S0
Old 04-02-2021, 05:33 AM

Nice Work!!!
Old 04-08-2021, 09:28 AM

Has everyone seen this:

Spire Studio 2 at Sweetwater

In stock.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-17-2021, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

A cover of the Marc Cohn song, Walking in Memphis. Music tracks recorded with a Spire Studio, video shot with an iPhone and edited with iMovie on a MacBook Pro. It was a gray ol' day here in the Tropical Tip, so a good time to play around in my music room.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Another Staying At Home music video. Joan (my wife) is my new Content Manager... this morning, she showed me a video that was a remake of this Tears for Fears song Mad World. So today, I learned the song, recorded six music tracks, and shot a single view video. I showed it to the CM, and she said, "Needs more cowbell." Yes, I'm kidding. She suggested that I should shoot some more video and show different angles. So, we compromised and I shot more video and showed different angles. My choice to go with the contrasty lighting. I said to Joan, "Do you remember that black sweater I had for one of the captain jobs about 10 years ago?" (I haven't seen it since then.) It took her about 4 seconds to pull it out. It was gray and blustery outside again today, but certainly not "sweater weather"... yes, I am willing to sweat for my art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Nrx61wzeM
Old 05-01-2021, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Here's another project that started with music tracks on the Spire Studio, then edited with video in iMovie. I used the Fender Mustang Micro for the guitar parts in this video, posted in the Electric Guitar sub-forum here...

-----

It was a rainy day in the Tropical Tip, so a good opportunity to make some music with the Fender Mustang Micro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAxYkw57j8w

First time in about 25 years that I made music with (gasp) no acoustic guitar somewhere in the mix. The music tracks were recorded with a Spire Studio. The guitar parts were direct into the Spire, through the Fender Mustang Micro - no amp, no Spire amp effect. Bass and electronic drums direct in, vocals through a Yamaha mixer then into the Spire.

Video shot with an iPhone, then all edited in iMovie. Fun project; the music took less than an hour, another hour to shoot the video, and a couple hours to edit.

I give the Fender Mustang Micro two thumbs up. My aging back gives it three thumbs up.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Another video that started with the music tracks on the Spire Studio. This time, I set up two cameras and let them run while doing the vocal/guitar track on the Spire. Added a bass track after the fact.

Just a little romantic song to put a smile on your face in these unusual times...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI9XeB72D4M

I used a Bose T4s mixer to balance the guitar/vocal track, with a line out to the Spire Studio.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD