The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-20-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Very cool! That’s the original shape/type that first interested me...solid body, single cut, like a Les Paul. I’ve since decided on a totally different animal. So so SO excited!
Don't know what you bought, but IME (playing since 1962, 40+ years as a teacher in the public and private sector) a hollowbody or semi-hollow is a good first choice for an acoustic player making the transition to electric: similar size/feel, natural acoustic response (albeit at a lower volume), and installing heavier-gauge strings (11's or heavier, preferably with a wound G) not only offers more acoustic volume and a warmer, "woodier" tone when plugged in, but a stronger signal to the pickups - and since we're on the subject of strings, flatwounds will allow you to set the action significantly lower than roundwounds (making the guitar much easier/faster to play - a handy little hack all those fleet-fingered 1950's jazzers and rockabilly cats knew )...

Looking forward to your NGD...
Old 01-20-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Ahh
Called over by the dark side!
Losing the purity of acoustic. It is a sad road
First an acoustic
Then acoustic electric
Then acoustic cut away
And finally electric!
Confess...were you lured by a Les Paul or a Stratocaster ?
We on the light side will patiently wait for you to come back!!
Hahaaaa....for me, such a happy road! And lured by neither of those you listed, and maybe not too dark a side for those of us who love all kinds of music, but I’ll say no more!

So very stoked!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 01-20-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Very cool! That’s the original shape/type that first interested me...solid body, singe cut, like a Les Paul. I’ve since decided on a totally different animal. So so SO excited!
It was hard to settle for just "one". I had really wanted one in seafoam (Likely a Squier)...purely for the colour....but then the Ibanez caught my eye.

I didn't even want to spend that much on a guitar either, since my goal was only to experiment and not to ever perform, but I like it!

I just got a little "beginner" amp. Smallish and has enough buttons and knobs to keep me happily entertained. It's a Line 6 Spider V 20 watt.

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 01-20-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
It was hard to settle for just "one". I had really wanted one in seafoam (Likely a Squier)...purely for the colour....but then the Ibanez caught my eye.

I didn't even want to spend that much on a guitar either, since my goal was only to experiment and not to ever perform, but I like it!

I just got a little "beginner" amp. Smallish and has enough buttons and knobs to keep me happily entertained. It's a Line 6 Spider V 20 watt.
Oh, that’s awesome! It sounds as if you chose well! Enjoy the heck out of it!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 01-20-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Don't know what you bought, but IME (playing since 1962, 40+ years as a teacher in the public and private sector) a hollowbody or semi-hollow is a good first choice for an acoustic player making the transition to electric: similar size/feel, natural acoustic response (albeit at a lower volume), and installing heavier-gauge strings (11's or heavier, preferably with a wound G) not only offers more acoustic volume and a warmer, "woodier" tone when plugged in, but a stronger signal to the pickups - and since we're on the subject of strings, flatwounds will allow you to set the action significantly lower than roundwounds (making the guitar much easier/faster to play - a handy little hack all those fleet-fingered 1950's jazzers and rockabilly cats knew )...

Looking forward to your NGD...
Well, I can hardly call myself an acoustic “player” since I’ve only been at it about 5 months, but I am SO psyched about what you wrote and the choice I finally made. All will be revealed...

And thank you for the information regarding the strings. I know it comes with 10’s, but I don’t know if flatwound or round. I will probably leave it as is for the first little bit while I get used to her and then we will see about strings. Many, many thanks!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 01-20-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
...thank you for the information regarding the strings. I know it comes with 10’s, but I don’t know if flatwound or round. I will probably leave it as is for the first little bit while I get used to her and then we will see about strings. Many, many thanks!
Standard issue on modern electrics is roundwound 10's with a plain G - FYI you might find the latter more than a little "sproingy" in both feel and tone compared to your acoustics' roundwound G, so if you'd like to keep a lightweight "electric" feel with a more familiar response these should be right up your alley:

FWIW the first thing I do whenever I get a new guitar is to change the strings - IME unless you're buying a high-end guitar the OEM strings generally aren't the best quality, and a fresh new set will give you a better idea of your guitar's true tonal potential...
Old 01-21-2021, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I think adding an electric guitar for a youngster of 58 sounds like a great idea! Keep it interesting.

I have been playing for just about the same number of years you've been on earth. Mostly acoustic the last 25 years or so, but I did add another electric guitar about 3 weeks ago... I am enjoying the change of pace.

Have fun with the new acquisition!
Old 01-21-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I think adding an electric guitar for a youngster of 58 sounds like a great idea! Keep it interesting.

I have been playing for just about the same number of years you've been on earth. Mostly acoustic the last 25 years or so, but I did add another electric guitar about 3 weeks ago... I am enjoying the change of pace.

Have fun with the new acquisition!
Well, there you go! Thanks for the encouragement! Enjoy your new toy, too :>
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 01-23-2021, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

totally acoustic(guitar, mandolin, open back banjo, weissenborn) until this past year, 60 yrs old, and it definitely puts you into being an outright beginner again, a whole different animal, but its so much fun!

may i suggest one pedal, this is all you need, Cornerstone Gladio(made in italy by a husband wife team, he designs, she builds'm). if you have the coin, grab a Fender Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster amp. You are done. You have enough now.

go play.............

d

Sasha turned me onto the Gladio-you can find a lot of different electric brands he demo's here thru the gladio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvfbUxNXxX8

heres RJ Ronquillo using different guitars thru the Gladio,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbRValq00M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKOokX7Y__s

Last edited by darylcrisp; 01-23-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:09 AM

[QUOTE=darylcrisp;6613213]totally acoustic(guitar, mandolin, open back banjo, weissenborn) until this past year, 60 yrs old, and it definitely puts you into being an outright beginner again, a whole different animal, but its so much fun!

may i suggest one pedal, this is all you need, Cornerstone Gladio(made in italy by a husband wife team, he designs, she builds'm). if you have the coin, grab a Fender Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster amp. You are done. You have enough now.

go play.............

d

Daryl,

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I think pedals and such are kind of far away for me at the moment. I am keeping it simple and light. Bought the Yamaha THR30II amp. I like the desktop amp idea and it sounded best to me. I’m never going to gig, and having the retired hubster at home makes me think the desktop idea is the best solution for my needs. I’ll eventually get the Line 6 transmitter and I’ll be totally cable-less. Yay!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 01-24-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
...I’m never going to gig, and having the retired hubster at home makes me think the desktop idea is the best solution for my needs...!
My wife said almost the same thing after we both retired in June '16 (FYI we first met as church musicians in "Summer of Love" 1967) - "we're retired, we're not doing church work anymore - we don't need to take on any more gear..."

We found a uke group at the local senior center (tenor uke for her, uke-banjo for me)...

Connected with a couple guys who played the local bar-band/catering-hall circuit in the '60s/70s, and a lady who did the Greenwich Village coffeehouses in the Dylan/PPM era...

Local coffeehouse where I had been playing open mics and a couple solo gigs had a Stones tribute night, sponsored by the local acoustic music cooperative - we thought it might be fun to put together an ad hoc band...

Played the gig, audience loved us, everyone got the itch again - made it an ongoing venture and went electric...

Bought three guitars, two amp heads, a speaker cab, and a complete PA system (8-channel head, mains/monitor cabs, mics/stands/cables)...

Before Corona (the virus and the brew... ) and some consequential interpersonal issues shut things down for good, we had a fairly successful three-year run: local gigs, a TV appearance, a regular following of a couple hundred - not bad for a bunch of old geezers...

Never say never...
Old 01-24-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
totally acoustic(guitar, mandolin, open back banjo, weissenborn) until this past year, 60 yrs old, and it definitely puts you into being an outright beginner again, a whole different animal, but its so much fun!

go play.............

d

Sasha turned me onto the Gladio-you can find a lot of different electric brands he demo's here thru the gladio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvfbUxNXxX8

heres RJ Ronquillo using different guitars thru the Gladio,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbRValq00M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKOokX7Y__s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
My wife said almost the same thing after we both retired in June '16 (FYI we first met as church musicians in "Summer of Love" 1967) - "we're retired, we're not doing church work anymore - we don't need to take on any more gear..."

We found a uke group at the local senior center (tenor uke for her, uke-banjo for me)...

Connected with a couple guys who played the local bar-band/catering-hall circuit in the '60s/70s, and a lady who did the Greenwich Village coffeehouses in the Dylan/PPM era...

Local coffeehouse where I had been playing open mics and a couple solo gigs had a Stones tribute night, sponsored by the local acoustic music cooperative - we thought it might be fun to put together an ad hoc band...

Played the gig, audience loved us, everyone got the itch again - made it an ongoing venture and went electric...

Bought three guitars, two amp heads, a speaker cab, and a complete PA system (8-channel head, mains/monitor cabs, mics/stands/cables)...

Before Corona (the virus and the brew... ) and some consequential interpersonal issues shut things down for good, we had a fairly successful three-year run: local gigs, a TV appearance, a regular following of a couple hundred - not bad for a bunch of old geezers...

Never say never...
Steve,

That’s a great story! But...... you’ve never heard me play or sing
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 01-24-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Steve,

That’s a great story! But...... you’ve never heard me play or sing
When we started the band my wife hadn't picked up a guitar in several years, and for all practical purposes was a non-singer...

By the time we broke up she was handling lead vocals (there was a great country-pop alto hiding in there), singing harmony throughout, and playing killer rhythm guitar...

In the words of John Lennon, "you're never too old to be the person you were meant to be"; as I used to tell my fifth-graders, if the desire is there the success will inevitably follow - don't sell yourself short...
Old 01-25-2021, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=CarolD;6613292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

go play.............

d

Daryl,

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I think pedals and such are kind of far away for me at the moment. I am keeping it simple and light. Bought the Yamaha THR30II amp. I like the desktop amp idea and it sounded best to me. I’m never going to gig, and having the retired hubster at home makes me think the desktop idea is the best solution for my needs. I’ll eventually get the Line 6 transmitter and I’ll be totally cable-less. Yay!
i purchased the THR20II and these are wonderful amps, they play plenty loud if you want but so accessible and easy to use-you can use a pedal on these also-just in case you want to give it a whirl.
I picked up the Fender Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster later, and its a whole other world-sometime check this out, it has a built in 5 position "attenuator" so you can play at bedroom level and get the full sound/feel of a tube amp being driven and open. 25 lbs carry weight, and has beautiful clean tones and anything else you desire.

so............what kind of guitar did you end up with...........

d
Old 01-25-2021, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Carol. welcome to :

The Dark side

Don't let anybody tell ya different ---the only time it's "too late" to "Go Electric" is when you're dead.

I was 65 when after 50+ years of acoustic only, I purchased my first electric ,,,,,BUT there is a warning to be heeded
The potential Gas is at least double

From no electric to this in 5 short years

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-25-2021 at 04:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars