The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
The X10 sure is a fine playing critter... love it plugged in...and true the neck is great... haven’t done 2 amps at once yet... guess I am having too much fun putting together a video for the X7 and one for X30...
Your videos are outstanding, Mr. K - I'll be looking forward to seeing and hearing the X7 and X30.

One of my all-time favorite guitars is the Taylor T5. I have used mine with an A/B/Y pedal, allowing the signal to go to an acoustic amp, an electric amp, or both. The difference with the X10 is: you can send different signals (piezo and humbucking) to different amps at the same time, as long as you send the signal out with a TRS to a Y cable. No switching pedal needed. AND, the X10 is a lovely acoustic guitar unplugged.

Flip the switch forward on the X10 and you get just the humbucking pickup; flip it back and you get just the piezo pickup; put it in the middle and you get both. With a standard guitar cord, that same switch allows you to blend those pickups with one signal going to your choice of amp. Still very cool, but the TRS into a Y makes the tone variety almost infinite... a nice rich acoustic sound coming from one amy and a growling electric sound (if that is your choice) from an electric amp.

This was my hope for the X10, but the reality is even better than I had hoped. I bought a short TRS to Y cable to try it out. It works great, but a longer cable allowing the plug in of the other two cables at the floor level would be a better stage solution. As is, I can loop the cords up behind the strap, and they are out of the way.

All that said, this is a very cool guitar!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
They all sound really good Jim. But I have to wonder if something in the recording hardware / software is automatically equalizing the volume somehow? Having roughly the same X20 and X7 it's hard to imagine they'd sound that similar to a listener at the same distance. Because, as you say, to the player's ear, there's an enormous difference. Have you played them with someone else in the room listening or, better yet, had someone else play them for you to listen?

-Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
All three were recorded while I was sitting in my comfy playing chair. The mics on the Zoom recorder were about 12" from the 12th fret and the soundhole. I have to say that I was less than happy with the lack of bass in the recording, but I set the levels manually, with no changes (only pressed the pause) between each guitar. The only reason I can think of why the X7 would sound so similar is that the projection is forward on that guitar, rather than up and forward on the other two. But, really, that X7 sounds better than it has a right to with its size.
My observation listening to your clip of the three guitars and your response to it really fired up my curiosity, although it took me a while to get around to testing it.

So I just played both my X20 and prior generation X7 for my wife and asked her if she noticed anything different between the sound of the two. She said that the X20 sounded a bit deeper, but otherwise very similar. I asked specifically about volume and she said they sounded about the same.

Then I did a very quick little sound-clip of my own using a condenser mike and I heard it exactly like she did. The X20 is a deeper / fuller sounding guitar, but the X7 matched it for volume. Which I find kind of amazing because from the player's perspective, that two-way oriented soundhole in the X20 makes it sounds ENORMOUSLY louder than the X7. The X7 sounds really good, but just doesn't seem to project as much. But, in fact, it does, it just doesn't project up at the player in anything like the same way.

I'm kind of amazed that this soundhole design makes THIS MUCH difference. I guess I shouldn't be - that's WHY they designed it that way obviously. But, man, it's vastly effective. Sorry to butt back in and go OT here - this thread is about your X10 and I hope you're loving it. But your clip really freaked me out a little bit and I just had to check it out for myself...

-Ray
Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My observation listening to your clip of the three guitars and your response to it really fired up my curiosity, although it took me a while to get around to testing it.

So I just played both my X20 and prior generation X7 for my wife and asked her if she noticed anything different between the sound of the two. She said that the X20 sounded a bit deeper, but otherwise very similar. I asked specifically about volume and she said they sounded about the same.

Then I did a very quick little sound-clip of my own using a condenser mike and I heard it exactly like she did. The X20 is a deeper / fuller sounding guitar, but the X7 matched it for volume. Which I find kind of amazing because from the player's perspective, that two-way oriented soundhole in the X20 makes it sounds ENORMOUSLY louder than the X7. The X7 sounds really good, but just doesn't seem to project as much. But, in fact, it does, it just doesn't project up at the player in anything like the same way.

I'm kind of amazed that this soundhole design makes THIS MUCH difference. I guess I shouldn't be - that's WHY they designed it that way obviously. But, man, it's vastly effective. Sorry to butt back in and go OT here - this thread is about your X10 and I hope you're loving it. But your clip really freaked me out a little bit and I just had to check it out for myself...

-Ray
Hi Ray,

Not butting in at all. I was surprised by the recording, as well. I have been able to listen to others playing my X7 and X20 (but not the X10 yet), and have found the X20 to be significantly louder and richer... but surprised by how that X7 "keeps up."

For some further explanation on that recording: I did use the Zoom H4n Pro and wonder if the stereo mic setting on that has auto level to make them all sound similar? I set the level with the X20 so it wouldn't clip, expecting that guitar to be the loudest.

And now back to the X10 - I did a couple hours with it this morning, exploring more about how it handles the output from each pickup to appropriate amps... my wife came into the guitar room to listen (and brush Rufus) and commented about how nice it sounds. When I flipped the switch on the guitar to go back and forth between acoustic and electric pickups/amps, the tone difference is impressive. Flip that switch into the middle to get both and ... wow!

I have the saddle piezo dialed in for the acoustic sound I like, and have tried plenty of options on the electric side. I am convinced! The X10 sounds nice acoustically (not plugged in). Plugged in with a single guitar cord, you have plenty of tone shaping. Plugged in with the TRS to a Y cable and then run to two amps is what sets this guitar apart from any other acoustic with a pickup that I've played.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hi Ray,

Not butting in at all. I was surprised by the recording, as well. I have been able to listen to others playing my X7 and X20 (but not the X10 yet), and have found the X20 to be significantly louder and richer... but surprised by how that X7 "keeps up."

For some further explanation on that recording: I did use the Zoom H4n Pro and wonder if the stereo mic setting on that has auto level to make them all sound similar? I set the level with the X20 so it wouldn't clip, expecting that guitar to be the loudest.

And now back to the X10 - I did a couple hours with it this morning, exploring more about how it handles the output from each pickup to appropriate amps... my wife came into the guitar room to listen (and brush Rufus) and commented about how nice it sounds. When I flipped the switch on the guitar to go back and forth between acoustic and electric pickups/amps, the tone difference is impressive. Flip that switch into the middle to get both and ... wow!

I have the saddle piezo dialed in for the acoustic sound I like, and have tried plenty of options on the electric side. I am convinced! The X10 sounds nice acoustically (not plugged in). Plugged in with a single guitar cord, you have plenty of tone shaping. Plugged in with the TRS to a Y cable and then run to two amps is what sets this guitar apart from any other acoustic with a pickup that I've played.
I find all of the plugged sound options interesting, but mostly in an academic way. The only reason I ever plug an acoustic in is to be able to record acoustic loops into my looper to play along with. It just has to sound basically like an acoustic guitar, which anything with a pickup seems to do well enough. I'm not terribly discriminating, to say the least. And I play unplugged at least 98% of the time. So I'm not a candidate for an X10 and would possibly remove the electronics from my X7 if I thought I could do it easily and without damaging the guitar at all. Then again, it's not hurting anything to have them...

Even with my electrics, I have one basic sound I keep everything dialed into and the only things I ever really change are an OD and a boost pedal so I can dial in a bit of gain for lead parts. I find a sound I like and generally don't mess with it...

-Ray
Old 10-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I find all of the plugged sound options interesting, but mostly in an academic way. The only reason I ever plug an acoustic in is to be able to record acoustic loops into my looper to play along with. It just has to sound basically like an acoustic guitar, which anything with a pickup seems to do well enough. I'm not terribly discriminating, to say the least. And I play unplugged at least 98% of the time. So I'm not a candidate for an X10 and would possibly remove the electronics from my X7 if I thought I could do it easily and without damaging the guitar at all. Then again, it's not hurting anything to have them...

Even with my electrics, I have one basic sound I keep everything dialed into and the only things I ever really change are an OD and a boost pedal so I can dial in a bit of gain for lead parts. I find a sound I like and generally don't mess with it...

-Ray
I get that, Ray. I have said before that the X10 isn't a guitar for everyone... while the body design is certainly similar to the other current Emerald offerings, acoustic guitar "purists" will probably be appalled at the controls (knobs and a switch) on the side, individual saddles, and a humbucking pickup on the top!! Of course, "purists" may feel much the same way about anything carbon fiber and body styles that aren't a dreadnaught.

When I saw the X10 at Emerald's 20th Anniversary unveiling, I was surprised by the those things mentioned above...then the "Aha!" went off. I play plugged in more often than unplugged. This guitar doesn't just bridge the gap between a nice acoustic and an electric, it fills the gap. These days (for me), playing an electric guitar as a solo is less than satisfying... but, having a guitar that starts with a nice acoustic sound and allows you to blend in electric tones and effects (amp dependent) has been a gas. Not to be confused with GAS as used around here... but the X10 may incite GAS in those so inclined to plug in.

Other than that first acoustic in 1964, every guitar I've owned has had a pickup. There was a Gibson acoustic in the 70s that required a soundhole pickup in order for me to play out, but all since that one have had onboard electronics. This X10 is the most sophisticated and versatile of that line of acoustics. Best playing one, too.

It may not be the guitar for everyone (what is?), but for those who play plugged in, there is a lot to like here.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:43 AM

Hi, Captain:

Really enjoy your recordings.

Two questions.

1. Is your X10 short scale (like 24.75 instead of 25.5 standard)?
2. How do you compare the neck between X20 and X7?
Are they similar or X7 is more bulky?

Thanks
Chong
Old 10-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

I have said, for a number of years, that the 10 came the closest I've come to an acoustic that plays like an electric. Alistair and I have pushed that with nylon string acoustic guitars that play like electrics. I think Alistair has it down.

I also think that a lot of you who play electrics are missing the boat. Another way of going acoustic/electric is to go electric/acoustic. As many of you know, I have an Emerald 7, thin-bodied, electric acoustic guitar. It's incredible.

So incredible that Alistair is now working on a 10, thin-bodied, electric acoustic guitar. The thin CF 7 body produces a surprising projection, one capable of being heard in a group of players. My hope is that the new 10 will be the ultimate electric/acoustic hybrid.

The new 10 acoustic Emerald has an incredible array of electronic options. I can imagine those being in a thin, hollow-bodied , steel string guitar. I have some of those in my forthcoming, woody, 10. I think everyone should have one.

And oh, I know where you can get one.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqxiao View Post
Hi, Captain:

Really enjoy your recordings.

Two questions.

1. Is your X10 short scale (like 24.75 instead of 25.5 standard)?
2. How do you compare the neck between X20 and X7?
Are they similar or X7 is more bulky?

Thanks
Chong
Thanks, Chong. To answer your questions...

1. My X10 has a 24.6" scale. That makes it a 13-fret to the body. Best access to the upper frets of any acoustic I've owned. This neck is thinner than my X7 or X20.

2. My X7 (previous generation) has a 24" scale; the X20 has a 25.5" scale. The feel of each is similar as far as thickness. I have read that the new X7 is a bit thinner than the version I have. My favorite neck profiles have been the Taylors I preferred before discovering the advantages (and tone) of carbon fiber. This new X10 is more like a Taylor neck, the X7 and X20 are a bit thicker - certainly not uncomfortably so.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

My first shot at a video review - of the X10...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS0q...ature=youtu.be

I used a Canon G3x for the video - first time at that, as well. I would like to hook the Zoon H4n Pro recorder to the camera to get better audio - this was just the mic on the camera, picking up the sound in the room. The piezo acoustic went into the Bose S1, the humbucking pickup went to a Roland Street Cube (that has been gathering dust for several years - fun to find a use for it again).

South Texas is in the midst of a large rain system, so there isn't any "going outside to play" for the next week or so... this was a fun afternoon project.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:20 AM

Great job on that video.
I'm surprised how well everything sounds with just the camera mic.

I remember those rainy dreary days in south Texas.
Spent a couple of years at the Naval Air Station in the mid 70's.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Thanks Captain. That really helps.

I am more leaning to X10 now after watching your video.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

Very nice video. Your demonstration reveals a beautiful musical multi-tool. Thanks for taking the and effort.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:14 PM

Nice video review Captain Jim! [emoji1303]
Old 10-19-2018, 03:59 PM

Does anyone else feel like the two pickups sound really similar?
Old 10-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post
Does anyone else feel like the two pickups sound really similar?
In person, they are WAY different. With the humbucking pickup, like any electric, the amp is an important part of the sound. This Roland amp that I am using has a variety of modeling amp sounds, so what was heard on the video is only one sample of that pickup. And, one that I had dialed in for a sound I like.

Thanks for the kind words folks - that is my first try at any kind of video review; I was trying to keep it simple since I was working on my own. On the job training.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber