The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the good wishes, folks. Seems I must have pushed a bit too hard and would up with an ambulance trip back to the hospital... and an “finger wagging in my face” along with another “slow and steady “ discussion.

Back home again today is the new gentler plan.

Jim
Old 04-30-2019, 06:56 AM

Get better and don’t over do it darn it !
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-30-2019, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I found out the hard way too that it's real easy to over do it before you know you over do'd it.
Relax Jim....sorry to hear about the ride back. The wagging finger can be worse than the Dr. !!! Take care sir....you have a kitty that depends on you !
Old 04-30-2019, 08:57 AM
Guest 928

Jim;

Sorry to hear about your trip back. I don't know if you're on pain meds, but I've had serious back problems and learned early that the pills were my worst enemy. I'd start feeling like king Kong and then really hurt myself. In any event, take care of yourself.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 PM

The trouble with being very early in recovery is that you've overdone it before you realize - and then it's too late. The next day is tough! There is a learning curve. Take small steps and go easy, my friend.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The trouble with being very early in recovery is that you've overdone it before you realize - and then it's too late. The next day is tough! There is a learning curve. Take small steps and go easy, my friend.
Yep. It has been made very apparent to me that this won't be the "fast and easy recovery" I had anticipated. Fortunately, my Honey is helping get me through this, even with the protracted recovery time. Today was the first opportunity I had to download and mix the tracks that my friend and playing partner sent back - it was just the boost I needed...

Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Yep. It has been made very apparent to me that this won't be the "fast and easy recovery" I had anticipated. Fortunately, my Honey is helping get me through this, even with the protracted recovery time. Today was the first opportunity I had to download and mix the tracks that my friend and playing partner sent back - it was just the boost I needed...

Nice...sounding good. Is that track just your partner?

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 05-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Nice...sounding good. Is that track just your partner?

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
That is Mark on keyboards on two tracks, me on guitar, drums, bass, and vocals on the other tracks.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks for the good wishes, folks. Seems I must have pushed a bit too hard and would up with an ambulance trip back to the hospital... and an “finger wagging in my face” along with another “slow and steady “ discussion.

Back home again today is the new gentler plan.

Jim
Sorry to learn about this Jim. Hopefully, having tracks to work on, like your "Still Rock N' Roll To me" will be just the medicine the doctor ordered to pass the time and heal all wounds. I actually like this version better than the original. Your guitar track sounds nice.
Hang in there!
Chris
Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

I'm awaiting to hear a progress report--are you back to feeling somewhat mobile? In my experience, it sometimes seems really easy to go down while moving up is a bugger. Wrote a song about it:

Please tell me why bad news
travels like wildfire
and good news travels
like snot.

Hope this note finds you well and in good spirits.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Two steps forward, one step back. While exercising over the weekend, I apparently pulled a muscle in the hip, so back to the walker and a decreased exercise schedule for a few days. It is going much slower than I had hoped, but still making mostly forward progress.

Still haven't reached that "glad I did it" point... the PT guy says that may be another month in the future. On the bright side, I can still make music.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Guest 928

Good! There is a bright side, and music is a joy. And you are rich with a wife who puts up with you, a cat who listens to you (more or less), and some cool toys waiting to be put to use.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:59 PM

We've been following your progress via the blog, Jim. Way to go! Yes it is very easy to overdo things and have some setbacks, but the overall trend is in the positive direction. That "it was all worth it" day is coming, even if a bit slower than you wanted.

I was released from the sling as of last Thursday and cleared to carefully play. Now I have managed a few 30 minute playing sessions myself, almost every day. So far I am limited to finger style, as strumming would jostle the shoulder too much. My fingertips get sore too easily but will recover their toughness. PT is uncomfortable (read: painful) during the session itself, but is necessary to recovering full range of motion. Tomorrow will include playing fro about 45 minutes with the Uncles (honored elders) at the senior center's Hawaiian music day, followed by lunch. That will be ukulele and voice in front of a crowd, backed by a choir. He's baaaaack.....
Old 05-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

In the classes I attended before the knee replacement, there were both hip and knee patients in the class. They said that the hips were a lot less painful deal than the knees....it sure don't sound like it. I'm still having my share of problems after 3 and a half months, but can function for the most part. The PT guy said you always hear about the fast recoveries that take a month or so...well, you aren't in that group. Sounds like you aren't in that group either Jim. It was 2 hours of sleep a night for months for me, so I can relate to that. I hate it when someone says "Give it time" so I won't say that to you, but I do hope you start getting better. Another thing they said in the class was that the hip patients had to refrain from any $exual activity for at least 6 months, so you got that to look forward to. Play, Play Play...it helps.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

Ah, intercourse. That's one good reason for forums.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber