The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Default Help Deciding , trade Journey Of660 for Cargo or Similar?

I've had my Journey for almost a year. I have not needed the take apart feature like i thought i would. I like the tone for fingerpicking but not for strumming. I am thinking about selling and replacing with maybe a cargo or something similar.
I have a Legacy dread and want a small body guitar. Any suggestinds appreciated.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:54 PM

I am very fond of the RainSong Parlor. In an Access Stage 1 gig bag it is light and compact.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-11-2019, 01:49 PM

I agree that the OF660 excels more as a fingerstyle guitar than a strummer. While I can't really point you to a CF replacement (because I've not played any for a decent length of time outside of the Shorty or the OF660) I can at least give you some food for thought- especially since it sounds like you and I hybrid players.

In my view a good strummer must not be anything less than 24.875" in scale. So that rules out the Cargo and the stock X7- and almost the OF660 (more on that later). I say that because part of what really drives a great strummer, or even just a good one (at least in my opinion), is scale length. I'm convinced that physics play a role here. The greater the scale, the greater the tension to drives the top= more power and more projection.

I don't know what strings you have on the OF660 but I've been finding that I need to use a 13 and 17 for the plain steels. I've found this to be true on the Shorty as well- beefing up the treble strings makes for a better strummed sound and really rounds out the top end of a CF guitar, and makes the trebles much more musical. It also makes the melody lines of fingerstyle work sounds sweeter without sacrificing playability in the process. Some strings that are effective in doing this are John Pearse New Mediums (in either 80/20 or PB), D'addario NB Balanced Tension, D'addario EJ24s, LJ's Choice Retros, and Elixir HD lights.

have personal experience with the LJ's Choice and currently have my Martin D Jr. 2 strung up with John Pearse New Medium 80/20. Those 2 sets have become my go-to on that guitar, which is 24" scale. No problem at all with strumming. I'm still on a search for the best pairing for the Journey. I've been playing the Journey a lot lately debating whether or not it's a keeper. I've yet to come to the conclusion to sell it.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:29 PM

I can't help you, since my only experience with an OF-660 was brief at Kramster's house in FEB 2017 (AZ Carbon Fest I). My airline travel days are over so there is no need for the removable neck feature of the Journey.

Our Cargo has lived in the closet since an X7 first came to live with us, rarely seeing daylight. The X7's longer 24" scale is more versatile than the 22.75" Cargo, at least for me and my big paws. My wife (and they are both her guitars) is good either way. Cargo does have a somewhat bass-heavy sound that is way bigger than its physical size.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I agree that the OF660 excels more as a fingerstyle guitar than a strummer. While I can't really point you to a CF replacement (because I've not played any for a decent length of time outside of the Shorty or the OF660) I can at least give you some food for thought- especially since it sounds like you and I hybrid players.

In my view a good strummer must not be anything less than 24.875" in scale. So that rules out the Cargo and the stock X7- and almost the OF660 (more on that later). I say that because part of what really drives a great strummer, or even just a good one (at least in my opinion), is scale length. I'm convinced that physics play a role here. The greater the scale, the greater the tension to drives the top= more power and more projection.

I don't know what strings you have on the OF660 but I've been finding that I need to use a 13 and 17 for the plain steels. I've found this to be true on the Shorty as well- beefing up the treble strings makes for a better strummed sound and really rounds out the top end of a CF guitar, and makes the trebles much more musical. It also makes the melody lines of fingerstyle work sounds sweeter without sacrificing playability in the process. Some strings that are effective in doing this are John Pearse New Mediums (in either 80/20 or PB), D'addario NB Balanced Tension, D'addario EJ24s, LJ's Choice Retros, and Elixir HD lights.

have personal experience with the LJ's Choice and currently have my Martin D Jr. 2 strung up with John Pearse New Medium 80/20. Those 2 sets have become my go-to on that guitar, which is 24" scale. No problem at all with strumming. I'm still on a search for the best pairing for the Journey. I've been playing the Journey a lot lately debating whether or not it's a keeper. I've yet to come to the conclusion to sell it.
Meh... I'm a strummer/flat-picker with a room full of guitars, and my Cargo does just fine. Does it compare to my dreads/jumbos, etc? Nope. But it is a pleasure to play and sounds very good for such a small body and short scale. I chose it over the Rainsong and Emerald guitars that I tried out. Actually... I bought two Cargos. Anyways... the Cargo was superior to most other guitars for travel, which is why I chose it. As with all guitars... it's best to try before buying.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Funny you should mention 13 and 17 for the plain steel. I just put on a set of Elir HD Nanowebs 80/20 to try. these are 13,17,25,32,42,53.
Maybe that will help.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:18 PM

I've really liked the sound of my McPherson touring... Not helping it because of a nerve issue I've got in my hand, but it's a great sounding instrument
Old 05-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Funny you should mention 13 and 17 for the plain steel. I just put on a set of Elir HD Nanowebs 80/20 to try. these are 13,17,25,32,42,53.
Maybe that will help.
I'm a fingerstyle player primarily and I'm in the pursuit of tone more than anything. I've heard that the 2 kinds of strings that work great on the OF660 are Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and Elixir HD lights. I've tried the former and they are stellar- just wish they didn't turn my fingers black. I've not tried the HD lights but I do have a set of Elixir 80/20 Bluegrass (Med/ light).

I'm so convinced that this has been one of the tone issues that I've been facing with my short scale guitars that I'm actually ordering .13 and .17 singles in bulk.That way I can swap out the .12 and .16 on every set until I find what works best. I might just go back to the Ernie Ball if the Elixirs do not impress- I'm typically not a fan of the feel of them. The Aluminum Bronze sounded monstrous on the OF660 just need that extra beef on the top to take out the plinky/ tinnyness.

It isn't just me- check out this pro's video

Last edited by steelvibe; 05-12-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:45 PM

By the way....RIP Pete. Gone way too early and a heck of a player and a kind soul.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm a fingerstyle player primarily and I'm in the pursuit of tone more than anything. I've heard that the 2 kinds of strings that work great on the OF660 are Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and Elixir HD lights. I've tried the former and they are stellar- just wish they didn't turn my fingers black. I've not tried the HD lights but I do have a set of Elixir 80/20 Bluegrass (Med/ light).

I'm so convinced that this has been one of the tone issues that I've been facing with my short scale guitars that I'm actually ordering .13 and .17 singles in bulk.That way I can swap out the .12 and .15 on every set until I find what works best. I might just go back to the Ernie Ball if the Elixirs do not impress- I'm typically not a fan of the feel of them. The Aluminum Bronze sounded monstrous on the OF660 just need that extra beef on the top to take out the plinky/ tinnyness.

It isn't just me- check out this pro's video

I have tried the EB almn. Bronze and thought they were good but didnt last long. I live on a boat so..., i am hoping the HD Elixir strings are the answer.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I have tried the EB almn. Bronze and thought they were good but didnt last long. I live on a boat so..., i am hoping the HD Elixir strings are the answer.
I live in an extremely dry climate and have the opposite problem you do (and the reason I have a CF to begin with). The Elixirs should work better for you but you may just find that the OF660 isn't the right guitar for you too.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber