The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2019, 12:15 PM

Default Turning a mono guitar pickup sound to stereo

Hi, I was just wondering about this today - am I able to cheaply turn a mono guitar pickup sound into stereo just by running it into a pedal?

I was thinking :

Mono source -> Stereo Reverb Pedal -> Stereo outs

Would something like the HoF Reverb Pedal do this? Or does it simply replicate 2 copies of the mono source into each of the stereo outs?

EDIT: And suppose this works, can I run like Stereo L to one input of an AER Compact 60, and Stereo R to input 2 of the amp? OR is this act effectively summing it back to mono, and I really need 2 amps?

Thanks!

Last edited by lppier; 10-14-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:45 PM

A stereo output effect that adds time-based modifications to the signal will make an input mono signal sound stereo-ish. Reverb, delay, flanger, phaser, chorus, roto-speaker....

Some settings and some effects will add intended comb filtering effects so that it won't sound like a stereo recording in a good room. Reverb and delay can sound more like a natural recording if used on a mono signal judiciously.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-15-2019, 05:16 AM

The "Normal" way to do this is with a delay line.

You want (iirc) 20-40ms delay, full "wet" with no modulation. You might need a Y cable to split your signal.

The undelayed 'dry' signal feeds amp 1
The delay output (full "wet") feeds amp 2

The guitar will appear to be "closer" to whichever signal arrives first. There are tons of webpages and YouTubes by folks who have rediscovered this trick.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:10 AM

Easy peasy. Most stereo pedals are dry through on one side. So use a pedal like a Boss CH-1 which is mono in and stereo out. Done
Old 10-15-2019, 08:36 AM

But, as you already thought, putting both left & right into 2 channels of a MONO amp will result in a summed sound.

Generally, I've always felt a stereo sound - when playing live - should be avoided as it can often mean that a person on one side of the room only hears the left speaker, a person on the other side only hears the right speaker, and just a few select people in the center hear both balanced together.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-15-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
OR is this act effectively summing it back to mono, and I really need 2 amps?
IMHO, yes. You'd need a second amp to really get the full benefit of "Stereo"
Old 10-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Or a stereo amplifier.
~Bob
Old 10-15-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
But, as you already thought, putting both left & right into 2 channels of a MONO amp will result in a summed sound.

Generally, I've always felt a stereo sound - when playing live - should be avoided as it can often mean that a person on one side of the room only hears the left speaker, a person on the other side only hears the right speaker, and just a few select people in the center hear both balanced together.
Watch That Pedal Show's episodes on "Wet Dry" and "Wet Dry Wet" rigs . . .I can't afford it, no WAY can I have two or three 50 watt amps humming along at that volume but D**N it sounds good . . .

Last edited by cdkrugjr; 10-15-2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM

Have you heard of the TC Electronics SCF pedal? It is not a reverb pedal but rather a stereo-widening pedal. I discovered it through Michael Hedges who used it as part of his on stage rig. Hard to discribe exactly what it does so here is a demo. It has a traditional stereo chorus effect but my preffered setting is the 'Pitch Modulation' setting.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification