The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Either a Boss 2 button jobby or a Jamman. You'll want that dedicated stop switch, and having more than one track is always a bonus, too.

I know you said "simple", but a lot of these one button loopers that merely record phrases wind up being unnecessarily limiting.

Something that quantizes your loops is also a bonus.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
…If Boss would make all their loopers quantize with each other that would really be awesome!
Hi Revy

Have you checked out the new Boss RC-10R?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-14-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Default LOOPERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Revy

Have you checked out the new Boss RC-10R?

No, No, No, No!!!!!!!!!!
No more loopers!!!!!!
A lead guitar player and drummer would be cheaper!!!!!

The RC505 made me dizzy looking at it!
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 PM

My old Jamman Digitech is okay. I use it to record chords then play lead along with them. It has wide pedals not stomp buttons, has been tough a nails and still working for me after many years. It is tricky though as they all are in hitting that record start on left then hitting it again to hopefully not be a split second off the beat. It easily clears for the next on the fly loop and I've even pulled off double leads with it. I also have saved loops I either recorded from playing or from input from another device. I do have to reach down to adjust the loop output volume at times. It has been a lot of fun especially in practice with stacking up to four guitars going at once just for fun. It has been easy to use and how that old style low capacity card in it keeps going I don't know.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
A Boss RC-1 with a FS-5U footswitch is an awesome tool in a live arsenal. It has something no other looper has, an indicator that you can glance at that tells you exactly where you're at in your loop. An experienced musician should know where they're at, but if you have a long loop with not many changes and get a little lead happy a quick glance for reference is nice. You can stop the loop any time with one tap of the FS-5U or clear the loop by holding down the FS-5U. Then start another by tapping the RC-1 again.

I also have an EHX 720 but it's a little more finicky on timing with the switch. That can be overcome with practice. l tapped the function selection switch with my foot so many times the multi functions quit working. I also use an RC-3 to hold drum tracks. If Boss would make all their loopers quantize with each other that would really be awesome! Don't know too many people with timing good enough to not keep two loopers from straying away from each other when used together.
Since you have the EHX-720 you probably know that if the display is selected for "loop progress" then whatever loop is selected counts from 0 to 10 repeatedly, showing you where you are at within the loop. It essentially does the same thing as the RC-1's LED circular array.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I have a Boss RC-3 but like the EHX720 a lot. I went with the RC-3 because I got a deal on it and I already had a Boss FS-6 dual foot switch that makes it a lot less clumsy to use it, avoiding the double-tap thing. I did have a Ditto Looper initially but I just didn't bond with it and returned it.

I know the EHX has an input for a foot switch. Which switch will work with it and what are its functions in conjunction with the pedal?
Electroharmonix has a switch available, but I imagine any of them would work. The switch schematic is listed in the user guide. I put together a simple two button switch, mostly to increment through the 10 loops so I don't have to bend over...
You can use a third switch if you throw in the two diodes shown in the diagram. This one was about 15 bucks in parts. The functions are labeled in the photo showing how it's put together.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:24 PM

I'd love to see Ed Sheeran's loop setup.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-14-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
A Boss RC-1 with a FS-5U footswitch is an awesome tool in a live arsenal. It has something no other looper has, an indicator that you can glance at that tells you exactly where you're at in your loop. An experienced musician should know where they're at, but if you have a long loop with not many changes and get a little lead happy a quick glance for reference is nice. You can stop the loop any time with one tap of the FS-5U or clear the loop by holding down the FS-5U. Then start another by tapping the RC-1 again.

I also have an EHX 720 but it's a little more finicky on timing with the switch. That can be overcome with practice. l tapped the function selection switch with my foot so many times the multi functions quit working. I also use an RC-3 to hold drum tracks. If Boss would make all their loopers quantize with each other that would really be awesome! Don't know too many people with timing good enough to not keep two loopers from straying away from each other when used together.
OK so here's the big question for me. Lets say I'm playing a song that has a repetitive chord progression like maybe wagon wheel. Can I record that progression on the fly and then play lead over that progression, then stop the loop so I can go back to playing on my own?
Old 10-14-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoliner66 View Post
OK so here's the big question for me. Lets say I'm playing a song that has a repetitive chord progression like maybe wagon wheel. Can I record that progression on the fly and then play lead over that progression, then stop the loop so I can go back to playing on my own?
Yes absolutely!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoliner66 View Post

As fore mentioned, absolutely!

An added foot switch gives you two options. You can tap the looper and record your loop, tap the looper when you’ve recorded what you want and it will play back right away. If you start playing right away it will overdub. If you don’t want to overdub, tap the looper again and it will continue playing your loop. Then play your lead, tap added foot switch and loop will stop. Or, tap looper and record your loop then tap the foot switch and it will stop recording. Then you can continue playing your song. Any time after when you want that loop to play, tap the looper and it will play your loop, tap the foot switch and it will stop. Every time you do this it will automatically start at the beginning of the loop you recorded. Hope it makes sense. Easier than it sounds on paper! [emoji4]
2004 Martin J-15
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 10-15-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I'd love to see Ed Sheeran's loop setup.
Ed uses a single piece of equipment, his Chewie 2 looper:

https://reverb.com/news/ed-sheerans-...oard-gear-site

The video has really good overhead shots of Ed's looper in use.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Default 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Since you have the EHX-720 you probably know that if the display is selected for "loop progress" then whatever loop is selected counts from 0 to 10 repeatedly, showing you where you are at within the loop. It essentially does the same thing as the RC-1's LED circular array.
Mine is stuck on "0". The dial that changes functions quit some time ago. All I have anymore is the lights. Is sucks, I used to use the fade out option when I would finish a song playing out with a harmonica.
2004 Martin J-15
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 10-15-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Mine is stuck on "0". The dial that changes functions quit some time ago. All I have anymore is the lights. Is sucks, I used to use the fade out option when I would finish a song playing out with a harmonica.
Aha.

Not under warranty? The fritzed control is pretty rare with the EHX-720. The good news is they are cheap enough to buy another if you really like the function of it, as I do.

It's a really good looper if someone is looking for a good introductory looper that's easy to use but is fully capable of satisfying looping well into the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification