The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-07-2019, 01:11 AM

Exclamation Stuck Nut: Neck Bowed! [HELP]

My truss rod nut is stuck, so I cannot tighten it to straighten the neck. I can - just about - loosen the nut, so I know the nut is not at the end of its thread, but when I try to tighten it the key bends instead. See the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0Eh-Vp6cY

What can I do? Can I take the nut off, lubricate the threads, and then retighten?

Guitar = Fender Redondo Classic (2019)

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-07-2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Fixed video
Old 10-07-2019, 02:05 AM

Your truss rod appears by the video to be maxed out, that is the nut has wound to the base of the thread that has been cut on the rod, I dont understand how you think its not by the fact you can undo the nut

Whilst I do not recommend this, I have seen guitars come in to my shop that have had washers installed to space the nut out further to allow it to be tightened further.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-07-2019, 05:06 AM

my only advice at this point seek professional assistance...
Old 10-07-2019, 07:37 AM

You can try removing all string tension and see if the nut can be turned without opposing tension. If not, as stated above, the nut has probably reached the end of its travel and you'll need professional help to resolve it.

Are you trying to lower the string height using adjustment of the truss rod, or are you just trying to reduce relief in the neck?
Old 10-07-2019, 09:05 AM

If you can remove the nut, lube the threads and the contact face of the nut well, screw it back on and have another go at it.

Works most of the time for us!

Frank Ford
Old 10-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Thanks all. I can undo the nut, but not redo it. That is why I do not think it is at the end of the threads.

I’m trying to get a straighter neck. My electives have .05 mm relief, which I love. The strong height will be adjusted later by sanding the bridge down a little.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:58 AM

If you are searching for the perfect way to ruin your truss rod, you just found it. NEVER use force on the truss rod nut Allen wrench. If it doesn't move with slight hand pressure there is a problem.
BTW, which way is your neck bowed. If upward, the way you are proceeding will bow it up more. Counterclockwise will bow the neck down or back. I only mention this because the wrench tells me maybe you are not familiar with exactly how the Truss rod operates.

Ed
Old 10-07-2019, 11:42 AM

I don't think you need professional assistance to add a couple of washers. Just make sure you still have several threads engaged. [washers added only after getting the nut off, lubing, and trying it again]
Old 10-07-2019, 06:00 PM

Dont over force it, you can and most likely will snap it.

This person did even with the warning in the truss rod cavity

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-07-2019, 06:03 PM

Default A thought

OP seems to not understand how the truss rod works and what is resolved by altering its tension. I think we can gab all day and not improve OP's understanding. Better, I think, is for OP to take the instrument to a luthier and start this discussion face to face.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
If you are searching for the perfect way to ruin your truss rod, you just found it. NEVER use force on the truss rod nut Allen wrench. If it doesn't move with slight hand pressure there is a problem.
BTW, which way is your neck bowed. If upward, the way you are proceeding will bow it up more. Counterclockwise will bow the neck down or back. I only mention this because the wrench tells me maybe you are not familiar with exactly how the Truss rod operates.

Ed
Counterclockwise loosens the nut, allowing string tension the pull the neck upwards into a bow. Righty tighty, lefty loosy. Or am I wrong?
Old 10-07-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
If you can remove the nut, lube the threads and the contact face of the nut well, screw it back on and have another go at it.

Works most of the time for us!
What use for lubrication? Copper slip like on a car? I have thought of using WD40 to loosen, but I don’t know how the wood would react, so left it.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:40 AM

Oil or grease for lube - don't overthink it. Just not WD-40 for lube - it's too thin.

A drop of WD-40 down into the nut won't hurt anything and might help unscrewing. Hold the guitar peghead down and drip in a drop where the wrench goes. It might be a through hole and work wonders taking the nut off.

Frank Ford
Old 10-08-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Your truss rod appears by the video to be maxed out, that is the nut has wound to the base of the thread that has been cut on the rod, I dont understand how you think its not by the fact you can undo the nut

Whilst I do not recommend this, I have seen guitars come in to my shop that have had washers installed to space the nut out further to allow it to be tightened further.

Steve
Curious as to why? I've done this technique several times and haven't had any problems with it. Of course one would have to take into consideration thread count but I've not seen that as a problem on maxed out rods.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Curious as to why? I've done this technique several times and haven't had any problems with it. Of course one would have to take into consideration thread count but I've not seen that as a problem on maxed out rods.
My worry is I can unscrew the nut a little, but not rescrew it. That is why I don’t think the nut is maxed out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair