The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-07-2019, 06:42 PM

Default stiff tuning machine

I have a 2002 Gibson J50. The tuning machines on it are original. Some of them feel stiff and sometimes when turned the string pitch doesn’t change unless it’s turned more than should be turned.

Is this an easy fix for an amateur? Something I can take apart and intuitively figure out? Perhaps get new tuners? If I were going to get new tuners I would probably stick with what I have so I don’t have to drill any new holes. But are there other kinds you can recommend that wouldn’t require new drilling?

These are what I have now.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 AM

That little hole you see in the back of the tuner plate is where the drop of oil goes
Old 10-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That little hole you see in the back of the tuner plate is where the drop of oil goes
Ahhh, supposed to lubricate! What kind of oil would be appropriate? I know I have some vegetable oil in the kitchen =).
Old 10-08-2019, 10:44 AM

Mineral, not vegetable.

3in1 oil, a Single drop.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Ahhh, supposed to lubricate! What kind of oil would be appropriate? I know I have some vegetable oil in the kitchen =).
Vegetable oils will go rancid. Use standard light machine oil, like 3-in-1 brand.

Kluson tuners, often used by Gibson, have a dedicated group of people who like them. I'm not fond of them and find them of very poor quality. I wouldn't hesitate to replace them unless one is attempting to keep an instrument original. Lubricating them might improve their performance, but won't turn them into a great tuning peg. In my opinion, of course.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Vegetable oils will go rancid. Use standard light machine oil, like 3-in-1 brand.

Kluson tuners, often used by Gibson, have a dedicated group of people who like them. I'm not fond of them and find them of very poor quality. I wouldn't hesitate to replace them unless one is attempting to keep an instrument original. Lubricating them might improve their performance, but won't turn them into a great tuning peg. In my opinion, of course.

Thank you all. If I were to replace, I don’t need to stay original. My only restriction would be to not have to drill new holes. What would be some good alternatives.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:07 PM

3 in One oil is what I like to use too.

Gotoh and Grover make some better replacements for the Kluson's. Kluson's at this point are desirable only because of the tradition. They really are awful tuners inmho. IF you want to go way up in scale you could get Waverly's and they should come close enough to fit in the Kluson foot print but they are also open back tuners, not covered.

It seems like the covers on those tuners server two points, one, they keep the dust out of the gear mechanism and two, they keep the dust and dirt in the gear mechanism
Old 10-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Thank you all. If I were to replace, I don’t need to stay original. My only restriction would be to not have to drill new holes. What would be some good alternatives.

Stew Mac, a good place to look. Gotoh make some Kluson look a likes that are pretty good.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:57 PM

never mind

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair