The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-26-2022, 09:19 AM

Default Beater system

For $299, the Harbinger MLS900 isn't bad. Stupid Deal of the Day today. I've got one. Works decent. Nice backup system.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Through 11/28/2022, the Harbinger MLS1000 Personal Line Array Speaker System is on sale for $599.99. I wonder if the extra power and frequency response are worth the extra $200 over the Harbinger MLS900 Active Personal Line Array?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbing...aker-System.gc
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-26-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Through 11/28/2022, the Harbinger MLS1000 Personal Line Array Speaker System is on sale for $599.99. I wonder if the extra power and frequency response are worth the extra $200 over the Harbinger MLS900 Active Personal Line Array?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbing...aker-System.gc
I bought the Pro Coverage on my 900 knowing it will break. They will supposedly replace it with a 1000 when the 900s are all gone, so let's go, people. Buy up the rest of the 900s!!!

The 1000 get effects too. I use my mixer and pedalboard for that.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I bought the Pro Coverage on my 900 knowing it will break.
Do you literally beat on it? A warranty doesn't remove the pita aspects of dealing with a return. Haven't had issues with any qsc gear over the years.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-26-2022, 06:14 PM

When I was looking for a tower line array PA system, I saw 4 of the Harbinger units on the floor at the Guitar Center.
They were a lot cheaper than any of the other brands.
The salesperson told me that these were remanufactured units and that almost all of the units that they sold, came back not working.

I would agree that if you want to purchase one of these units, be sure to get the extended warranty with it.
Odds are that you will be using the warranty before very long.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Do you literally beat on it? A warranty doesn't remove the pita aspects of dealing with a return. Haven't had issues with any qsc gear over the years.
My Yamaha gear is rock solid.

Actually, I did have to beat on the MLS900 to get it to work once. I took it apart in the dark and gave it a bump in the wrong direction. When I assembled it, only the woofer was working. Some Fonzie persuasion did the trick.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
When I was looking for a tower line array PA system, I saw 4 of the Harbinger units on the floor at the Guitar Center.
They were a lot cheaper than any of the other brands.
The salesperson told me that these were remanufactured units and that almost all of the units that they sold, came back not working.

I would agree that if you want to purchase one of these units, be sure to get the extended warranty with it.
Odds are that you will be using the warranty before very long.
I'm not sure why anyone would purchase something they would depend on for public performance if it had a iffy reputation. Odds are it's going to fail in the middle of a set.

Our brick and mortar store carried Behringer equipment and I went in looking for a combo amp. The owner told me that it was inexpensive, but any of their products that had a power amp section might be best to avoid. He told me that many of those types of products came back often to him. That was several years ago, so they have probably improved their reliability in that time.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would purchase something they would depend on for public performance if it had a iffy reputation. Odds are it's going to fail in the middle of a set.

Our brick and mortar store carried Behringer equipment and I went in looking for a combo amp. The owner told me that it was inexpensive, but any of their products that had a power amp section might be best to avoid. He told me that many of those types of products came back often to him. That was several years ago, so they have probably improved their reliability in that time.
I"m with you. Behringer is a brand I won't buy. Harbinger is another. Enough variables on a gig to deal with, I want my gear to be as rock-solid as possible. A warranty doesn't do me any good when something dies the second song of a 3 hour gig...

Old 11-29-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
only four posts in before QSC came up. This may be an AGF record
Old 11-29-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
and no mention of Bose yet - another record

Old 11-29-2022, 12:35 PM

Not being creepy here. Perhaps we are overlooking a key word here. SYSTEM. Is the users voice and instrument not part of the SYSTEM? Amplification is a part of a system. When playing in public, no matter how pleasing YOU sound, the audience only hears what you are doing through the speakers. While choosing a system does not require a great deal of experience or education ( might help tho..) you should put some practical thought into a selection. Why would you buy a system that does not sound very nice, and has known warranty issues to showcase your talent?
Good solid sound requires a good solid SYSTEM.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Not being creepy here. Perhaps we are overlooking a key word here. SYSTEM. Is the users voice and instrument not part of the SYSTEM? Amplification is a part of a system. When playing in public, no matter how pleasing YOU sound, the audience only hears what you are doing through the speakers. While choosing a system does not require a great deal of experience or education ( might help tho..) you should put some practical thought into a selection. Why would you buy a system that does not sound very nice, and has known warranty issues to showcase your talent?
Good solid sound requires a good solid SYSTEM.
One symbol: $
Beginners probably don't set aside $3k for a sound system budget. Much like they don't buy $3k guitars. Their budget is closer to $300.

And, I know a guy who makes a living playing and he has used the MLS900 for well over a year and a half now. Maybe my ears aren't the most refined, but I don't think the MLS900 sounds terrible. It's not nearly as crisp as an IP500 or my IP300, but the bass is actually better than the L1C Bose. For my classroom at school (work) it's getting the job done, and it saves wear and tear on my Stagepas 1K.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I had a pair of QSC K10 speakers and sold them.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-30-2022, 03:02 PM

My beater is my old Carvin AG100D. It's been a killer cheap rig for nearly 2 decades and still works perfectly. I still use it for many uses (it's a decent small bass amp) and hate that Carvin failed as a business.

I mean, I know they're still (sorta) around, but nothing like they were in those days.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-01-2022, 07:33 AM

my brother inlaw bought some Harbinger passive speakers.

All I can comment on is "They work"... we don't use them any more because the EV speakers he bought after blow them away.

I've had so-so with Berhinger.. Mostly using their mixers.

if I had the money to spend again, I would probably go Mackie or Yamaha.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification