The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-24-2022, 12:35 PM

Default Bose S1 vs Everse 8?

Sorry if this has been asked. I’m starting to do gigs and the pa would be mostly for vocals in most scenarios. I’m kind of torn between these two. The Bose is something I know a lot about, I’ve heard one not to mention someone I play with uses the L1 and it sounds great not to mention Bose has been fantastic customer service wise. But hard to deny the EV looks great although I’ve used the bigger Everse tower and it wasn’t as good as the Bose tower. Bad dispersion. Can anyone steer me one way or the other? I also can get a good deal on the Bose making it around 475 which would be significantly cheaper than the EV…so is there anything to consider?
Old 11-24-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Here you go - 4 pages of discussion: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=657690
Old 11-24-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Here you go - 4 pages of discussion: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=657690
Thanks man. My search didn’t find this!
Old 11-24-2022, 01:51 PM

Electro-Voice Everse 8. Unbelievably loud on battery power with my passive pickup plugged directly into the High-Z input on Channel 2. Smartphone/tablet app controlled mixer, full band eq, phantom power, compression, reverb, delay, IP43 rated weather resistance..etc. Played a nightmare of a brewery for live sound with a single one high on a stand in the corner and it delivered loud and clear sound throughout the place. Played an outdoor gig downtown and people said the sound could be heard from blocks away. EV nailed it!
Old 11-24-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Electro-Voice Everse 8. Unbelievably loud on battery power with my passive pickup plugged directly into the High-Z input on Channel 2. Smartphone/tablet app controlled mixer, full band eq, phantom power, compression, reverb, delay, IP43 rated weather resistance..etc. Played a nightmare of a brewery for live sound with a single one high on a stand in the corner and it delivered loud and clear sound throughout the place. Played an outdoor gig downtown and people said the sound could be heard from blocks away. EV nailed it!

Hard to deny all of that. I’m trying to decide if I should pay more for a black one now or get a cheaper by 80 bucks white one I found. All my gigs are outdoors so that’s iffy
Old 11-24-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
Hard to deny all of that. I’m trying to decide if I should pay more for a black one now or get a cheaper by 80 bucks white one I found. All my gigs are outdoors so that’s iffy
What I've read about the Evolve 30 and 50 models in white is that they show ware if you just even look at them wrong, haha. Your call. Personally would only get white if I was steady playing weddings, but I have not weaseled my way into that market (yet.. meHeh).
Old 11-24-2022, 03:06 PM

If your gigs are outside then EV is the better choice because it is louder and stays cleaner near clipping. EV has a great App with many EQ choices. EV has a much fuller sound with low end that is missing from the S1Pro.
$475 is a great price for the Bose. Bose has a 120 degree dispersion vs 100 degrees for the EV. Can't beat the quick adjustments with old school dials on the Bose compared to menu diving on the EV. Not sure about the mic preamps on the EV but many people claim they need to put a mixer in front of the S1Pro to get decent volume on the mic channel.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
If your gigs are outside then EV is the better choice because it is louder and stays cleaner near clipping. EV has a great App with many EQ choices. EV has a much fuller sound with low end that is missing from the S1Pro.
$475 is a great price for the Bose. Bose has a 120 degree dispersion vs 100 degrees for the EV. Can't beat the quick adjustments with old school dials on the Bose compared to menu diving on the EV. Not sure about the mic preamps on the EV but many people claim they need to put a mixer in front of the S1Pro to get decent volume on the mic channel.
Hi Wweiss,

To play outside, should I dumped my JBL eon one compact for the everse 8?

I don't need the onboard stuff since I use an EAE stompmix mixer anyway

I bought a magazine with a review/comparison of Bose/JBL/HK and the HK move 8 is out.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-25-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Wweiss,

To play outside, should I dumped my JBL eon one compact for the everse 8?
Not sure it's worth the extra $$$? I've yet to see any comparison reviews comparing the JBL Compact to the Everse 8 in real life performance setting.
Also, you'll be giving up one channel with the Everse.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:18 PM

Cuki79
Curious, what did that article say that makes the Move 8 out of the running?
I haven't done any A/B testing with the JBL Compact/Everse8. If you don't need that third channel the EV is definitely louder before clipping. JBL has a new Firmware Update coming out in the next few months that might address the early clipping light issue. I find the JBL Compact a little muddy on the top end where the EV is crystal clear, similar to the QSC house sound.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Cuki79
Curious, what did that article say that makes the Move 8 out of the running?
I won't show the measurement graphs but the review says the HK move 8 overall tone is scooped in the low mids (500Hz-2k), Bass (125-500Hz) and Highs (8-16kHz) are upfront. Edges are on the back with no sub-bass at all (below 125Hz) and the high end is tamed (16-20KHz). So the tone is coloured.

The Bose S1 is coloured too but differently. (strong Bass boost but no sub bass cut, no such dramatic treble emphasis.)

By comparison the JBL is almost flat. The Bass is boosted and of course the sub-bass weak (but not cut) but the rest is more even. However the review note the lack of dynamic. It also says distortion comes into play as soon as the clipping colour ring turns red.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-26-2022, 06:02 AM

I'm a huge fan of the Bose rigs. I have both an S1-Pro and an L1-Compact.

I use them in all manner of configurations, sometimes alone, sometimes together.

I once bought an EV mic, when I really wanted a Shure.

I eventually bought the Shure and vowed to never make that mistake again.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-26-2022, 11:38 AM

I gigged for twelve years with an AER compact and busked with an AERcompact mobile,fine amps.About five weeks ago I bought a Bose s1.I sold it after three weeks and bought an Everse 8.I tested out already seven times in demanding situations and I find it way way better then the Bose.Much better bass and volume,loads more eq controls,effects,phantom power etc etc. the voice channel,which I find weak in my AERs,sounds just great,I got also very positive impressions from fellow musicians.The application works great but I will eventually get a Stompmix four.I am not confortable with having to use smart phones for everything.
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars
Old 11-26-2022, 12:22 PM

Went with the Everse 8 as I found a Black Friday deal for 694 after tax. Seemed like a way better option as it has much higher eq capability which I will need since I play several instruments and depending on the setting I’ll be utilizing it for harmonica, harmonica and guitar, sometimes guitar and vocal…just seems smarter!
Old 11-26-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
Went with the Everse 8 as I found a Black Friday deal for 694 after tax. Seemed like a way better option as it has much higher eq capability which I will need since I play several instruments and depending on the setting I’ll be utilizing it for harmonica, harmonica and guitar, sometimes guitar and vocal…just seems smarter!
Oh my! Do you mind if I ask where you got this Black Friday deal? That's an amazing price for a recently released piece of gear, one that I thought next to impossible. Perhaps a Cyber Monday deal could be had for similar pricing. Thanks in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification