The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2022, 08:42 AM

Default TC Helicon Acoustic Play Portable Power Help

Hi everyone, I've not logged in for 6 years, and I was surprised I remembered my password after all this time ha ha, so I hope everyone is doing well?

I'm after some expert advice on how I should power my TC Helicon Acoustic Play correctly out on the street for busking, I've been doing a lot of looking around on Youtube but it's all a bit confusing with 12v/9v this and positive/negative/polarity that, I really ain't got a clue what the hell I should be looking for

To the best of my limited understanding, I'm under the impression that I need something like the Jackery 240 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmK...index=7&t=231s

I'm based in the UK, so we use a different power supply (I think) than Europe or America so the unit I'd need would have to fit the UK power criteria, so I was hoping someone could put me out of my misery and point me in the right direction of what it is I need to buy, and without breaking the bank

Ideally, I'd like the power supply to be able to power my TC now and then in the future maybe a couple of other FX pedals like a looper, and all that will be going into my Roland street cube EX which has it's own battery supply

So, I'd like it to have a really good battery life before it needs charging, and as small & portable as possible, and as I say, without me having to remortgage ha ha

Basically, the easier it is to use, the better

Thanks in advance folks for any help/advice offered
Old 11-22-2022, 10:32 AM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=655882

I ordered one of the Myvolts 12V adapters, will use it with a USB power bank. The Jackery is likely overkill unless you need to power an amp as well (I have one of the 500 versions for those situations).

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-22-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=655882

I ordered one of the Myvolts 12V adapters
Hi dude, thanks very much for the reply, I've been scouring the internet for the last 2 days now and I'm STILL none the wiser, my knowledge of electric currents and all that techy stuff is ZERO ha ha

Is this the one I need? https://myvolts.co.uk/product/47077/..._Effects-pedal

And, if so, then, if you'll excuse my ignorance, what else do I need to go with it that will give me 5 hours + busking time, and maybe in the future be able to add a couple of other pedals to my setup as well?
Old 11-22-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearnsy View Post
Hi dude, thanks very much for the reply, I've been scouring the internet for the last 2 days now and I'm STILL none the wiser, my knowledge of electric currents and all that techy stuff is ZERO ha ha

Is this the one I need? https://myvolts.co.uk/product/47077/..._Effects-pedal

And, if so, then, if you'll excuse my ignorance, what else do I need to go with it that will give me 5 hours + busking time, and maybe in the future be able to add a couple of other pedals to my setup as well?
You need a "power bank" - something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YPY31FL...roduct_details

You'll want at least 10000mah (that's the capacity). I'm assuming you're using an amp that has its own battery? If so then a power bank and the my volts should work fine. I haven't gotten mine yet but others have reported success.

The basics you need to know - pedals run on DC power at a certain voltage and draw a certain current. Most "Boss style" pedals run at 9V and draw different amounts of current (milliamps) depending on the type of pedal. Distortions usually don't draw much current, delays usually much more.

The other thing you have to contend with is the connector (typically a barrel for the Play and pedals), and the polarity of the connector. Most pedals are "center negative", meaning the the positive side of the battery connection goes to the outer barrel, the negative to the center pin. Other devices can be "center positive" - you don't want to mix this up (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols )

The power bank is putting out 5V over USB. The Myvolts cable steps up the voltage from 5V to 12V (for the Play).

So short story is you need to know the voltage required, the current required (you can provide more current than necessary, the device will just draw what it needs), and the polarity of the connection.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You need a "power bank" - something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YPY31FL...roduct_details

I'm assuming you're using an amp that has its own battery?
Yeah, I've just bought the Roland street cube EX, and it takes 8 AA batteries, so that's not a problem, I'm happy using batteries for that, I just wish they made the FX pedals battery powered as well, it'd save me a headache

Quote:
So short story is you need to know the voltage required, the current required (you can provide more current than necessary, the device will just draw what it needs), and the polarity of the connection
That was one of my main worries, if I don't know what the hell I'm doing and I plug the wrong adapter into the wrong socket and end up blowing my FX up as well as myself, I could probably handle blowing myself up, but not my beloved TC pedal ha ha

So, basically, if by accident I OVERPOWERED it and I put say 18 volts into the unit, it would still work OK, but if I UNDERPOWERED it, then it wouldn't work correctly?

So if I get that Ripcord USB to 12V DC power cable and then a good standard long life powerbank, (Say 20,000+ MAH to be on the safe side) it's just a case of plugging the power lead into the TC unit, then the USB into the charged powerbank and I'm good to go out on the street?

One final thing, do I need to be concerned with the UK/US/EU DC/AC power supply when buying the powerbank or if I buy from a UK retailer it will be standard anyway, and shall I look for one with more USB ports in case I want to add extra pedals in the future?

Again, thanks very much for your help, I've been away from the forum and guitars/music in general for 6 years (Had 2 heart attacks) and didn't feel upto getting back out into the gigging scene, so I'm hoping the busking will get me back into it and dust off the cobwebs kind of thing and then I'll take it from there, see where I'm at
Old 11-22-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearnsy View Post
So, basically, if by accident I OVERPOWERED it and I put say 18 volts into the unit, it would still work OK, but if I UNDERPOWERED it, then it wouldn't work correctly?

So if I get that Ripcord USB to 12V DC power cable and then a good standard long life powerbank, (Say 20,000+ MAH to be on the safe side) it's just a case of plugging the power lead into the TC unit, then the USB into the charged powerbank and I'm good to go out on the street?
Voltage and current are two different stories. Running higher voltage runs the risk of frying something. Running lower voltage shouldn't cause damage, and it may or may not function. I've run the Play on 9v before and it works OK. I think it has more headroom and probably sounds a bit better at 12V. Some dirt pedals sound better with a bit lower than 9V.

Current is a different story - the device will draw as much as it needs, and you want to provide it more current than it draws.

Yes to the latter - should just need the power bank, Ripcord and Play.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:09 AM

Thanks again Nos, you've been a great help, much appreciated

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification