The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2022, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

Tim, have you tried playing a CofE church and standard village hall without a p/a at all? I sing with a Welsh MVC and we always have solo spots spaced within a choir concert. There are a few of us who will play guitar and sing songs during these slots in exactly the venues and audience size you describe, using no amplification at all.

It works just fine, surprisingly so, particularly in churches where the natural reverb can screw up amplification.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-19-2022, 11:45 PM

Thanks guys really helpful.

Lots to consider.

Tim
Old 11-19-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Tim, have you tried playing a CofE church and standard village hall without a p/a at all? I sing with a Welsh MVC and we always have solo spots spaced within a choir concert. There are a few of us who will play guitar and sing songs during these slots in exactly the venues and audience size you describe, using no amplification at all.

It works just fine, surprisingly so, particularly in churches where the natural reverb can screw up amplification.
Thanks Robin, I think that is what I’m finding. So much natural reverb. Playing unamplified would work in these settings for sure but I have a grand piano behind me, another guitarist and two vocalists with me. I don’t stand a chance against the piano! The natural reverb is the big issue though totally agree.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
My Acus One For Strings 8 is excellent. Have never tried a Schertler Jam, but I hear good things about them, too.
Sorry I didn’t see this post initially. The Acus amps look excellent and get good rep for sure. What are the vocals like through it?
Old 11-20-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWar View Post
Sorry I didn’t see this post initially. The Acus amps look excellent and get good rep for sure. What are the vocals like through it?
Vocals are excellent. The effects are nice as well. I think it is an excellent one-piece rig.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Vocals are excellent. The effects are nice as well. I think it is an excellent one-piece rig.
Can’t hear enough good things about them and the flexibility of working as a stand alone amp with all the time shaping and feedback features as well as being able to use as a monitor with a PA is really good. They also have a lovely asthetic.

I’m going to order the:

Acus One forstrings 8
Elite acoustics D6-58
Shertler Jam (and return ones I don’t like)

My friend has a Bose s1 and another has an AER so will try those also.

Will update after tried them all out. Thanks for the advice guys.

Tim
Old 11-21-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like (!!!) you've already made a few decisions about an amp, but I have to add: DO NOT RULE OUT the AER Compact 60 because some folks don't like them for vocals...

I play 6 and 12 string guitars and sing, and I LOVE my Compact 60/2 for voice... I use a Shure Beta 58A, and it sounds wonderful through that amp! My AER weighs in at just under 13#s, and it produces an amazing amount of high quality sound for one little 8" speaker and 60 solid state watts... I have used it as my sole source of amplification in rooms that were far larger than I would ever have expected to use it with any success.

One thing I will say is that, with any smaller amp, you want to have a bit of distance between you and the amp, in order to let the sound "bloom"; otherwise, a smaller amp can sound very "boxy" and directional. I try to have 12-20' between my stage position and the AER when I use it.

A friend has a Domino III and loves it. After his first gig with it, he sold off all his other PA gear - the JBL pole-mounted speakers, the monitors, the power amp and mixer. The AER sounded SO good that he made the decision immediately to have that unit as his only amplification...

I use a small mixer with mine; a Bose T1. I use the same mixer with my bigger rig, a Bose L1 Model II, and it's a great piece of kit... any small mixer would give you the flexibility and inputs you desire, though.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-22-2022, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. Budget around £1000. Fishman looks good but would value 3 channels ideally. Thanks
technically you can use the 'aux in' as a third channel. Granted, it doesn't go through the effects of the two main channels but can be useful in a pinch. I've run my mandolin this way on numerous gigs and it can work.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I have realized that I have the One For Strings AD, and not the 8.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification