The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-05-2022, 06:11 PM

CASD57 - Correct I still have my CP8. I personally am looking for a battery operated speaker to aux out from my JBL MK2 for a complete battery setup for outdoor use. I haven't tested them side by side but I don't expect the Everse to match the volume of the CP8. With the CP8 I would have to bring an external power source which is no big deal, but if the Everse is almost as loud that will be one less thing to bring. If you don't need all the latest high tech bells and whistles you will thank Santa many times over for the CP8!

Last edited by wweiss; 11-06-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I don't understand why people would choose the Bose... It also has only 2 instr. inputs and AUX in exactly like the EV.

Only the JBL has an extra Line input.

I don't think it is odd... Very few battery powered speakers have more than 2 jack inputs

Made a list back in the days:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=499033
I have one of the JBLs, but I really prefer the sound of the Bose S1s.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I have one of the JBLs, but I really prefer the sound of the Bose S1s.
Hi DavidE,

I was not talking about tone. I was answering JackB1 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Very odd that EV would only have 2 instrument channels in this speaker. That one major thing might be enough to sway people towards the JBL or Bose.
I was just mentioning that Bose and EV have the same number of instrument inputs so if having 3 instr input is an important feature then one would rather choose the JBL.

As far as tone. I am not a fan of the Bose but for very specific reasons.
* The Bose sounds great for vocals: No doubt. The 180° spread gives you a spatial feel... like singing in your shower. I used to have a Bose L1 mII. Those are incredible for singing.
* The Bose sounds good with piezo pickups.
* The Bose sounds good as long as you don't push it too much. I believe it is meant to be a "just be slightly" louder than crowd noise. I guess people should be able to talk and enjoy the background music.
I tried it in thos kind of situation with my HD-28 + TA Amulet and a SM58.

However I prefer the JBL which has more bottom end and clearer highs... I don't love the JBL tone... But I prefer it over the Bose. The JBL is not loud either but it is louder than my Laney AH4x4 that sounds great (without the JBL bottom end). I feel the JBL has something wrong going on around 2 KHz, I EQ it out with the parametric EQ (which is great on this unit).

I wish I could have better therefore I am interested in a feedback on both the EV Everse 8 and HK Move 8 which can potentially sound better.

I use an EAE stompmix so I don't need "features" on the mixing board anymore such as Mobile phone control or FX.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 11-06-2022 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I posted this question to another thread, but I felt it perhaps more relevant to this one. Help me understand the value of one of these compact speakers vs some of the larger amps from EAE. It seems to me the latter is much more versatile and sounds minimally as good as any if not better. Is it the dispersion that is the advantage for these speakers?
Old 11-06-2022, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Random reactions to some of the above:

Bose claims 120-degree dispersion for the S1, not 180 deg. (unlike the sticks). I, too, love the Bose sound including the S1.

CP8's listed max spl is 124db, Everse 8's is 121db (S1 is "103 dB / 109 dB peak").

On whether those we're discussing may underpeform compared to EAE so what's the advantage--as I responded in the other thread, maybe portability, and cost on the higher end? The EAE D6-58 weighs 30 pounds, and the A6-55, 28 lb., considerably more than the others. On cost
  • JBL EON One Compact, $629
  • Bose S1 Pro, $699
  • EV Everse8, $749
  • EAE A6-55, $799
  • EAE D6-58, $1299

Sweetwater prices except for EAE. HK 8 costs $849 on US Amazon .com, looks like less on the other side of the pond?

I'm unsure whether the D6-58 belongs on this list in terms of volume, the EAE site is somewhat spec-stingy and I can't find SPL for any of their products. Maybe it's much louder? And A6-55 is marketed as a "guitar amplifier" and has only a 5 1/4" woofer, compared to the 8s on the JBL Compact, Everse, HK Move 8, etc etc. But dispersion isn't an issue on the D6-58 at least, an email query prompted EAE to share that it's 115 degrees, on the high end for the other portables.

Rabbit holes.

Another explanation could be they don't offer more, other than portability. Just like the Fishman sa300x ran circles around other early sticks in some connectivity features and has good to excellent sound, but just wasn't adopted by most folks here.

Last edited by Chriscom; 11-06-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Nelson View Post
I posted this question to another thread, but I felt it perhaps more relevant to this one. Help me understand the value of one of these compact speakers vs some of the larger amps from EAE. It seems to me the latter is much more versatile and sounds minimally as good as any if not better. Is it the dispersion that is the advantage for these speakers?
Hi Brent,

I don't own an EAE amps but I'll try to answer from what I read on the forum and elesewhere...

EAE amps were not sold as "mini PA" but as Live performance Studio monitors

A regular studio monitor is not about projecting sound. It is more about having the most accurate "acoustic image" in the "near field" (2-3 feet from your ears). Some are meant for the mid field. All are designed to have flat response.

EAE amps were from what I've read closer to studio monitor than good old PA speakers.

To conclude:
  • PA speakers are meant to throw sound efficiently.
  • Studio monitors are meant to create an accurate acoustic image in the near field

EAE amps are closer to the second one. You can use them to play in small places but they are not meant to fill big rooms with sound.

UPDATE: Methos post (see later in the thread) confirms and informs some of what I wrote: EAE amps are indeed made to sound transparent and accurate. However they are not weak, for example the, D6-58 is louder than the Bose S1 pro without giving the 180 degree dispersion Bose offers with its design of course.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Last edited by Cuki79; 11-08-2022 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks gang. I own an EAE, which sent a Bose S1 packing right quick. I scored both a D6-8 mkii and an A4-8 mkii each for under $500. If one is patient and shops around they can be had for prices in the ballpark of most of these compacts. For what I do (singer/songwriter stuff) and hear, the amps from EAE offer me much much more than any compact could. So I often wonder what the advantages are for the latter. I appreciate your insights!
Old 11-06-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Meanwhile the 30m/50m has Hi-Z, typically for some guitar inputs, on only one channel, an odd choice. Yes, I'm too in the weeds on this but I'd love to have sat in on their features discussions).
fwiw I've plugged direct into the 30M hi-z with both the Martin and the Beard and both sounded totally usable. I typically have a Play Acoustic and/or pedal board, but I could do a gig just plugging straight into the 30M hi-z.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-06-2022, 01:28 PM

Perhaps as a corollary to the other "why these" above... why are these units better than a k8v2 or CP8? Is it a dispersion and slight increase in versatility of the onboard mixing kit?
Old 11-06-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't own an EAE amps but I'll try to answer from what I read on the forum and elesewhere... EAE amps are not sold as "mini PA" but as Live performance Studio monitors....

To conclude:

PA speakers are meant to throw sound efficiently.
Studio monitors are meant to create an accurate acoustic image in the near field

EAE amps are closer to the second one. You can use them to play in small places but they are not meant to fill big rooms with sound.

EAE amps are not sold as "mini PA" but as Live performance Studio monitors.
Respectully, I feel that's a bit sweeping. I don't think any of their current models are so described, and none in the "featured" section of the EAE site. They mention use as stage monitors, but in marketing materials and videos are also touted for live performance in "small to mid-sized" venues.

Anyway the expense and care of battery powered amps seems beneficial mainly for musicians playing out.

It would be interesting to learn what kind of spaces Methos used his D6-58 in. At the time, for the indoor stuff, I think the main competitor in his mind was the Bose S1s--which he also used outdoors--and then he transitioned to the Evolve 30m.

Edit: Re why are these units better than a k8v2 or CP8?, the thread topic is battery-powered PAs.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Respectully, I feel that's a bit sweeping.

It would be interesting to learn what kind of spaces Methos used his D6-58 in.
Well You might be right… Methos is probably the right person to answer the question. I hope he will chime in.

I would be glad to update my post then.

The battery powered loudspeaker makes the question tough. Because none of these speakers are really loud because of battery operation… so it naturally brings the speakers closer to studio monitor territory.

Anyway in this market there are some product that are closer to “big Bluetooth speakers” like some Mackie freeplay products. Some are closer to PA and some to studio monitors… at least in the sens on “what” the brand put the emphasis on the design…

Would you agree with that?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 11-06-2022, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...The battery powered loudspeaker makes the question tough. Because none of these speakers are really loud because of battery operation… so it naturally brings the speakers closer to studio monitor territory.

Anyway in this market there are some product that are closer to “big Bluetooth speakers” like some Mackie freeplay products. Some are closer to PA and some to studio monitors… at least in the sens on “what” the brand put the emphasis on the design…

Would you agree with that?
Cuki, you are far more knowledgeable about electronics design than I will ever be, and your description characterizing near-field monitors was perfect. I don't have the breadth of knowledge to share an opinion on how closely the PAs we're discussing here get in the neighborhood of monitors. All I know is what they're marketed for. Though I think we all recall that Bose critics--of the whole line--sometimes disparage their products as glorified hi-fi. And I should give you your due by noting that I later found one EAE video of an older model showing its use as a near-field monitor.

I'll ping Methos tomorrow if he doesn't pop up by then.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:02 PM

Three channels isn't enough for 2 people that use two channels each.
When I got my JBL Tower, I also got a Yamaha mixer.
This combination gives me up to 5 channels.

I recently bought a Bose S1 Pro.
The Yamaha mixer will work for either system, when needed.
The added benefit of the mixer is more choices for effects.
It also has fantom power.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It would be interesting to learn what kind of spaces Methos used his D6-58 in. At the time, for the indoor stuff, I think the main competitor in his mind was the Bose S1s--which he also used outdoors--and then he transitioned to the Evolve 30m.
Quote:
Well You might be right… Methos is probably the right person to answer the question. I hope he will chime in.
I felt a disturbance in The Force and knew I was needed!

I have not as yet watched Aaron's videos on the EV Everse 8. A quick look told me that it wasn't much of an improvement over similar systems I already own so I didn't bother venture too deep. Much of the reason for that is that I've pretty much abandoned the battery powered systems I own for the EV30M. The ability to perform amplified with no external power is awesome and keeps yet one more cord at home but the truth is, in years of using the Bose S1(s)/EAE StompMix X6 combo and/or the EAE D6-58 all-in-one amp, I almost never actually need to play without power since power is always available. I still own all the systems mentioned above. One of the Bose S1's is always in the trunk as a backup. On occasion I'll take the D6-58 if I think there is a serious need for power, inputs, quality sound but with no available power.

Here are the three systems, in the order we purchased and used them, and the reasons why they were great and we still own them:

Bose S1/EAE StompMix X6 combo - The Bose S1 is great for the super-light weight and great sound and dispersion considering it's diminutive size. But it lacks power and is very limited in useable inputs and tone shaping. Enter the StompMix X6. The Bose S1 can really get quite loud with anything preamping the signal. The X6 is a battery powered mixer with 6 inputs and a ton of tone shaping abilities, EQ and effects. They are both small, lightweight and battery powered. Add a second S1 (we did) and you have a compact and lightweight modular system that can be used many, many configurations and punches well above its weight, physically and sonically.

EAE D6-58 - This is what you get if you take that great X6 mixer and stuff it inside a relatively small and light, more classic amplifier with quality components and a LOT more power than the Bose S1 alone. The sound IS very reference monitor like. It does not 'color' the sound like the Bose and some other systems. That does not mean that I don't like the Bose sound, in fact I really do like it. I'd likely own a Bose Pro8 system if they had a built in mixer like the EV30M. I bought the D6-58 for basically what the S1/X6 combo gave me but in an all-in-one box. Less things to carry. It does accomplish that but the added weight detracts a bit from benefit.

If push came to shove and I had to choose between either the D6-58 or the S1/X6 combo, I think I'd go with the latter. Add in that second S1 and the it's game over. I have used both systems in just about every way imaginable - indoors (all types and sizes) and outdoors and both systems sound great. Different, but great.

And not that this thread is about this, but since it was mentioned above...

EV30M - The advent of a stick column system that finally had enough built-in inputs and tone shaping capabilities finally won me over. And although I did like the Bose Pro8 sound better (after a direct but limited A/B testing in a store) the EV30M won out in most of the more important (to me) categories. Don't get me wrong, the EV30M sounds great. It sounds WAY better than the S1(s)/X6 combo or the D6-58 but thats just because of the way it's built. There is nothing like having that physical and tonal separation with the low end coming out of the sub/base unit and the mids and highs coming out of that tower up high. A good analogy of the type of sound from systems discussed above would be that the Bose S1 & Pro8 sound are very similar - warm and enveloping while the D6-58 & EV30M sound very clean, clear and reference.

So it really comes down to actual need and desire of what is most important to the end user.

Warm sound vs reference.
Weight vs power/tone shaping
AC vs battery
Dispersion
Old 11-07-2022, 06:34 PM

Aaron's latest report post-gig says it's a lot better than the competition. I'm personally sold because it's a lot louder than what I am currently using (Roland AC33 + Laney AH4x4)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification