The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-14-2022, 12:37 PM

Default "crack central" indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
This reminds me of Helsinki, Finland, back in the early 80s. In winter, the temperature outside could be as low as -25C, but through appropriate clothing and crack central heating, I can't remember ever feeling cold.
Although central heating and dry winter weather are deadly enemies of the guitar.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Although central heating and dry winter weather are deadly enemies of the guitar.
Doesn't that depend on the kind of heating? IMHO the traditional central heating systems we have hear, with hot water heating big cast-iron radiators aren't as deadly as centrally heated hot air. Esp. not if you hang your laundry to dry on or in front of them (or use the porous ceramic humidifiers we had on every radiator in my parents' house).

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 08-14-2022, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Hah, do you have contingencies for if it's all but cool, and your company wants to attend the event from your showers, AC'ed inside ... or as a proper drive-in wedding from inside their AC'ed vehicles?

It's basically, just an open "house" from 5-9pm. Might be hot, but we'll have canopies set up in the shade of a two-story house with trees, and the sun will go below the ridgeline by 7 or so. There will be lights under the canopies and deck when it gets dark.

Attire is casual, and the attendees (all relatives) are basically locals who know what to expect. If it's sweltering horribly, we'll have a few no-shows and some who drop by just for a while. Of course, the house will be open for those who might melt.

Before this all became a daily buzz in the news, these were just considered hot summer days.

Edit added 8-15: Of course, this being Oregon, it might pour that day too.

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-15-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
It was so long ago for me that I was barely connected with guitars. I was 22 years old and had lost interest in the electric guitar thing. I bought a cheap classical guitar that year, but I knew very little about guitar health and certainly didn't worry about the guitar I had. In fact, at the end of my year there, I gave it away to my Finnish love interest as a farewell present!
Old 08-14-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
How do you guys cope ??
Well, here's how Mrs. Cougar and I do it....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-14-2022, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
I've been in the basement with the a/c on surfing AGF for about a month now.
LOL ................
Old 08-15-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Doesn't that depend on the kind of heating? IMHO the traditional central heating systems we have hear, with hot water heating big cast-iron radiators aren't as deadly as centrally heated hot air. Esp. not if you hang your laundry to dry on or in front of them (or use the porous ceramic humidifiers we had on every radiator in my parents' house).
Comme vous voulez.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

This thread is all over the place, and I'm joining late, so here goes:

What is the summer weather like? In Sacramento, it's hot and dry days, followed by (usually) cool evenings, driven by a "Delta Breeze" from the much cooler Bay Area that pushes the heat out of the way at night (evening temps drop 35-40F each night).

Fun fact: in July, Sacramento achieves the most sunshine of any city on Earth (avg. 14hrs, 12min per day).

How do we cope? Most houses have A/C, which we've been using more the last 2.5 years, since the kids and I have been home 24/7. Previously, when most of us would be at the office/school, we would use a whole house fan and bring in the cool air, so we'd rarely need A/C, unless we were hitting 100F+ for consecutive days. That cool air was moist, so I would be running my dehumidifier, even when the daytime RH outside was only 15-25%.

What are the electricity bills like? Oh, what I would do for Andy's electricity bills! In the summer, we would average $400-500, but between the increased cost and running more A/C at home, it's jumped to $700/mo. And we have two rental homes in Costa Rica that cost $500/mo each, so we are paying $1700/mo in electricity between the three of them.

Do I drink Guinness? Yes, it's my favorite. My alcohol rules are simple: I prefer my beer dark, my wine red, and my liquor clear. If it doesn't meet those criteria (aside from an occasional glass of white wine), then I'm probably not drinking it.

Stay cool, stay safe.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post

What are the electricity bills like? Oh, what I would do for Andy's electricity bills! In the summer, we would average $400-500, but between the increased cost and running more A/C at home, it's jumped to $700/mo. them.

Do I drink Guinness? Yes, it's my favorite.
That’s really high. I can see why like the Guiness
It’s because you live in CA, where the kwh rate is about 26 cents per kwh. The highest in the country. The average rate in the US is a little less than 11 cents per kwh. At least it is right now.
And they’re not that great either about keeping the power on 24/7, especially when peak hours hit. You have it rough, in spite of the nice sunshine.
You’re probably better off in Costa Rica from that standpoint, or at least getting your money’s worth for those high energy bills.
I’m hoping that a lot of the infrastructure money goes toward grid issues in the US. We really need to shore that up.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-17-2022, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have stood in the middle of the volcano in Nisyros, Greece in late summer.
I have climbed Mt. Tiede in Tenerife.
I have driven to Terlingua Texas and Ojinaga in Mexico.
I have driven from Sacramento to Kramer Junction on the 395, ten to Santa fe via the I40 (?)
i have walked through the little stone paths of Thira at midday with a Billingham bag wih two Canon F1ns and lenses from 15 m/m to 300m/m!
i have driven north to south on Crete (no real roads just tracks in a Fiat 500!)

but ....

I've never been so hot as in southern England in July and August! 85 to 100 F with RH from 60 to 23 and back again in 24 hours!
Walking a few hundred yards up to my allotments yesterday afternoon the sun actually hurt my face and arms.

The south of England is now officially declared a drought area.
In France the river Loire has dried up.

This stuff is getting scary.
Scientific researchers tell us that at midday in the heat of the African sun we can run down any animal on the plains because our ability to lose heat in a dry environment is so efficient.
They also tell us that those who exercise on a regular basis are able to lose heat more efficiently than those who don't because we train our bodies every day to do just that.
They also tell us that given time we adapt to heat and over a two week acclimatisation process the time it takes for the body to respond to increased temperature by sweating becomes shorter.
Personally on each of the hot days we have experienced in the UK I have been out at the hottest time and for most of the afternoon mountain biking or running cross country and pretty much had the outside world to myself. I took regular breaks in the shade wore light coloured clothing and always had water, no problems .
Unfortunately as we age our ability to regulate our body temperature and to exercise on a regular basis diminishes, that's the way it is.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:06 PM

As your compatriot once said, "When going through hell, keep going." Sir Winston Churchill.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 08-19-2022, 06:34 PM

Hope things are better for you Silly,

As to how we cope, I lived in Las Vegas, NV for 42 years. In the summer, when daytime temps of 114 degrees was not uncommon, we went from our air conditioned homes to our air conditioned cars to our air conditioned work places, then from our air conditioned work places to our air conditioned cars to our air conditioned homes. In other words, we would have died without AC.

Now I live in Northern Nevada where summers temps rarely go above 100 and happily the overnight lows go down to the mid 50s to the lower 60s.

Vegas heat is something I DO NOT miss.

I hope you have found a way to cool yourselves!

Best,
PJ
Old 08-19-2022, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

As mentioned above, we're coping alright in 90-105 temps by taking care of outdoor projects before noon every day. It's also helpful to live an hour from the coast, where it's usually 25-30 degrees cooler. That happens weekly with the grand-dog.

But Mrs. Tinnitus and I are confounded by something our chunky calico cat is doing this summer. Of course, cats like to sleep in sun, we get that. She comes and goes as she pleases through flaps in the garage.

So why does she sleep inside an air conditioned house all day when it's 80 outside and then insist on staying outside when it's 90, 95 or 100+? We had a couple nights over 85 recently, and she slept outside all night too.

Outside temp drops down? She comes inside to a 73 degree house. Temp shoots way up? She stays outside to bake on one of the decks, whichever is hotter. Exactly the opposite of what we'd do - but we're not cats. (BTW, we keep big bowls of water front and back, and she seems to like it cold from the fridge.)

Anyone know why she does this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprint wagon.jpg (12.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-19-2022 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:29 PM

As kids in the 50’s no one had ac. It was a treat to go to the drugstore and marvel at the comfort and then turnaround and walk back out into the oven. You couldn’t dance or you would sweat like a mofo. I recently switched over to mini splits but use them primarily for heat in winter and just a few days in summer for cooling. Its a very temperate climate here. I should google “power devoted to air conditioning in America.” I’m told it’s not common in Europe at all.

Edit: 6% of all electricity consumed in the US is attributed to air conditioning.

Last edited by radiokid; 08-19-2022 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
As mentioned above, we're coping alright in 90-105 temps by taking care of outdoor projects before noon every day. It's also helpful to live an hour from the coast, where it's usually 25-30 degrees cooler. That happens weekly with the grand-dog.

But Mrs. Tinnitus and I are confounded by something our chunky calico cat is doing this summer. Of course, cats like to sleep in sun, we get that. She comes and goes as she pleases through flaps in the garage.

So why does she sleep inside an air conditioned house all day when it's 80 outside and then insist on staying outside when it's 90, 95 or 100+? We had a couple nights over 85 recently, and she slept outside all night too.

Outside temp drops down? She comes inside to a 73 degree house. Temp shoots way up? She stays outside to bake on one of the decks, whichever is hotter. Exactly the opposite of what we'd do - but we're not cats. (BTW, we keep big bowls of water front and back, and she seems to like it cold from the fridge.)

Anyone know why she does this?
Because cats normal body temperature is between 101° and 102.5°? Maybe she’s trying to warm up.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic