The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 12-29-2020, 08:45 AM

Default string recomandation for Timberline Parlor HG

Hi, got my first harpguitar , a Timberline T20HGpc, as a christmas gift. It´s a lot of fun and more easy to get something nice sounding out of it then expectet. But its sounds a little bit harsh ..lack of lower midts to me . The sub basses er impressive and sounds really good , but the normal six strings are missing some depth. Maybe its the parlor size or mahagony ..
I changed the strings ,put som Elixier phosphor bronze on which i usally like but it´s still a little too crisp when i really dig in.
Do somebody have the same eperience?
Old 12-29-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwel View Post
Hi, got my first harpguitar , a Timberline T20HGpc, as a christmas gift. It´s a lot of fun and more easy to get something nice sounding out of it then expectet. But its sounds a little bit harsh ..lack of lower midts to me . The sub basses er impressive and sounds really good , but the normal six strings are missing some depth. Maybe its the parlor size or mahagony ..
I changed the strings ,put som Elixier phosphor bronze on which i usally like but it´s still a little too crisp when i really dig in.
Do somebody have the same eperience?
Try a set of Martin Retro (aka "monels")...they work well on all mahogany (and also on carbon fiber) bodies (including my T30HGc).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:59 PM

I'd love to hear more from others on what neck strings they've gravitated towards on both sizes of Timberlines. As you know, I was the (co)designer of them, and haven't found the ideal gauges/brands either. That's because each has a non-standard length, perhaps a plus for players, but makes dialing in strings trickier. (For example, I found myself wanting a .0125 for the high E string on the Auditorium.) The physics isn't straight-forward either, as tension, elasticity, materials, desired tone and touch all affect the result differently.
Subs have a lot more leeway, and again touch (technique) may dictate players' needs far more than my carefully engineered gauging. (Some helpful articles about this are my https://www.harpguitars.net/2015/04/04/sub-bass-redux/ and, for Hedges fans, https://www.harpguitars.net/2010/12/...-for-hedges-2/ )
PARLORS: The subs that these come with are too light, as they are the same set that's on the full-size. This was done simply for cost-savings on the custom string sets needed. I offer after-market sets (for either standard or SB tuning) for the parlors that make them more equivalent to the tension of the full-size Auditoriums.
A final reminder: In standard, the low string is typically meant to be F or F#. If all you're using it for is to double your E, then A) you're missing out on 1/6th of your sub-bass value, and B) you need a heavier gauge than what it came with.
Best,
Sir G
Old 11-28-2021, 10:11 PM

This is what I have on my T60HGc (auditorium size):

What is typical for me is E/F/F#,G,A,B/Bb,C/C#,D, but now and then I will crank up one or two of the higher subs a m3 or so or drop a couple lower/mid subs up to the same. These gauges seem like pretty fair all-around compromise for that guitar.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar