The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2016, 05:01 AM

Default Alvarez Yairi Masterworks DYMR 70

A good slope shoulder is always a good strum to me. I don't own one, yet, but enjoy playing them at local stores whenever I stop in. In researching online and visiting Alvarez's website, I saw the Yairi Masterworks DYMR 70 SB and it looks stunning! 12 fret, slotted headstock, etc. I've listened to YouTube videos but it's hard to really gauge a guitar based on those. I don't have a local dealer, so I'm coming here to see if anyone here has played/owns one and how do they compare to Gibsons.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchman View Post
A good slope shoulder is always a good strum to me. I don't own one, yet, but enjoy playing them at local stores whenever I stop in. In researching online and visiting Alvarez's website, I saw the Yairi Masterworks DYMR 70 SB and it looks stunning! 12 fret, slotted headstock, etc. I've listened to YouTube videos but it's hard to really gauge a guitar based on those. I don't have a local dealer, so I'm coming here to see if anyone here has played/owns one and how do they compare to Gibsons.
Hi Perchman,

Kazuo Yairi and Gibson cannot really be compared model vs. model - at that level the only fair comparison would be individual Yairi vs. individual Gibson. As a lifetime "fan" and owner of both brands, I can say that the quality and tone of Kazuo Yairi instruments is on a par with Gibson (generally speaking), and although I have not experienced the Masterworks DYMR 70 SB you are referring to, you can probably buy confidently. Yairi is one of the most underrated yet respected shops there is.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Hi Perchman,

Kazuo Yairi and Gibson cannot really be compared model vs. model - at that level the only fair comparison would be individual Yairi vs. individual Gibson. As a lifetime "fan" and owner of both brands, I can say that the quality and tone of Kazuo Yairi instruments is on a par with Gibson (generally speaking), and although I have not experienced the Masterworks DYMR 70 SB you are referring to, you can probably buy confidently. Yairi is one of the most underrated yet respected shops there is.
Just saw a bunch get put on eBay earlier; I would've drooled more if they weren't sunburst.

I have an Alvarez slope shoulder, and I have yet to play a flattop I prefer over it. I've played another of the same model, but it didn't sound near as good as mine. I guess I had a special case.

Anyway from what I've heard on youtube, these are fantastic versatile guitars, great for both classical and blues
Old 09-02-2016, 09:18 AM

Yairi build quality is second to none. They are excellent instruments and most guitar players have never even heard of them. When you say Alvarez Yairi most then say "Oh yeah, Alvarez makes a good guitar." Yairi's are made in a seperate workshop in Japan and have nothing in common with Alvarez guitars other than Alvarez is the distributer of Yairi guitars in America and they get to brand them as Alvarez Yairi.
Finding a Yairi to play or even a dealer with any Yairi guitars in stock is near impossible. You will probably have to buy online without being able to play before you pay. The quality of Yairi makes them a pretty safe bet, though. When the DYMR-70 came out it got excellent reviews. Good Luck.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:25 AM

You can't go wrong with a Yairi, and that's a whole lot of guitar for a $2k street price. As noted above, there's a big difference between the Yairi and "normal" Alvarez line. The Yairi's are hand made, and the Masterworks line has solid back and sides.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:30 AM

Having been a long time fan and owner of a few Yairi's I really can't
add much more than what has been said.

Great sounding (imo), high quality guitars, great value especially if you
buy used. Buying new you will take hit money wise if and when you decide
to sell it.

My DY62C is an outstanding guitar, my other guitar player friends tell me it's
one the best playing and sounding acoustics they've ever played. That
includes some Martin and Taylor owners.

I can say if your looking for a guitar that sounds like a Gibson, buy a Gibson.
Yairi's have there own sound just like a Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc. does.
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
Mid 80's Alvarez 5009 classical
63 Yamaha No100 classical
89 Gibson Les Paul Standard
04 Gibson Les Paul Supreme
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
05 Gibson SG Special Peter Townsend
95 G&L Legacy
Old 09-02-2016, 11:58 AM

They are amazing instruments.

I have more than a couple, and have owned others in my time playing guitars.

I currently own two of their all-solid wood line, and they are excellent, and different enough from the majors (Martin/Gibson/Taylor) to remain interesting, and unique in sound and appearance.

I like their direct-coupled bridge, and every luthier I've had work on these guitars throughout the year has commented what a great design they feel it is. For me, I like the look, and the feel of the guitars a lot, and am very happy with mine.

Happy to answer any specific questions, though I haven't played that particular model. I am confident it's worth it, though
2013 Guild Orpheum Orchestra (sunburst mahogany)
2002 Martin OM-28v
Martin CEO-7
2009 Alvarez-Yairi DYM-95SB
2006 Alvarez-Yairi FYM-95
1979 Alvarez-Yairi DY-11
1976 Yairi YW-600
Gibson Hummingbird "Mapleburst"
2007 Gibson J-45 TV
2013 Gibson Sheryl Crow SJ
Old 09-02-2016, 04:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

You know, I've stopped talking about Yairis, but they are so undervalued and such superb guitars that I don't want demand or pricing to increase.

Even though Mr. Yairi is no longer among us, his family still runs his shop in Japan, and any guitar with his name on it is worth a close look and listen. The list of famous and accomplished his instruments is truly legendary.

my two cents,
scott
Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 AM

I just picked up an Alvarez Yairi dy77 , it is one of the best guitars I have ever
owned,not a Masterworks, but hey
Quality thru and thru, and the sound is fantastic,
I have owned Martin, Taylor , Larrivee, Takamine,Guild,Yamaha and a couple of
others, I paid less for this guitar than any of the others,
it really is that good, check one out.
Dave

Last edited by Daveyo; 09-03-2016 at 12:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion