The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2022, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I set speaker behind me. Set volume so I can hear. Goes past me and into the room.

I get sound good to me. Everybody else hears what I hear.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Is that because in order to hear anything in the IEM due to crowd and PA volume, you'd have to raise the IEM volume to dangerous levels?

I've never used them, but a friend who runs a (loud) cover band started with dual IEMs then switched to single because he felt he was losing room awareness.
1. Short answer is yes. You will end up compensating for the "ear out" by cranking the ear in. Ear damage is very real, can happen quickly/immediately, and is permanent. Don't mess around if you value your hearing, and what musician doesn't?!

2. With due respect to your friend, he is flirting with danger and he is wrong. One can compensate for room ambience with a good mix and an ambient mic. Like other gear solutions, IEMs done well is great; done poorly and it's horrid. @Shuflebeat beat me to it and gave you the goods: advise your friend to heed for his own good

But as you've already read, yours is a simple/straightforward fix so all this is academic. Experiment with different speaker positions and proximity as each cab has its own sonic personality and you'll quickly see/hear what works for ya

Edward
Old 11-20-2022, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
1. Short answer is yes. You will end up compensating for the "ear out" by cranking the ear in. Ear damage is very real, can happen quickly/immediately, and is permanent. Don't mess around if you value your hearing, and what musician doesn't?!

2. With due respect to your friend, he is flirting with danger and he is wrong. One can compensate for room ambience with a good mix and an ambient mic. Like other gear solutions, IEMs done well is great; done poorly and it's horrid....
Thanks Edward! I'm all too aware of hearing risks, having acquired permanent tinnitus and significant hearing loss in one ear after a bout with pneumonia, but fortunately as mainly a solo singer-songwriter type have not had to worry too much about excessive stage noise or disorder myself. I'll definitely convey this to my buddy, promptly.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:23 AM

Oooh, tinnitus is a bear, sorry you had to go through that! I had an occasional "ring" in the past, but took care and time, and fortunately it passed. I dodged a bullet, so just passing along the feel-goods to fellow players! Best to you on the solo gigs, man ...that's awesome!

Edward
Old 11-21-2022, 02:36 PM

like others have said....put the amp in front of you on the floor like a monitor (angle it back somehow) and it will be loud for you and the rest of the place will get the sound as it bounces off the wall behind you, at a much lower volume.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:14 PM

I totally agree with Jack B 1.
Do not worry about pointing your amp at the audience. Point your amp at you. The low volume is what they are after so you don't need to worry about the outward sound. make sure you can hear yourself. If that is too loud for the venue, then take your music somewhere else.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sa View Post
I totally agree with Jack B 1.
Do not worry about pointing your amp at the audience. Point your amp at you. The low volume is what they are after so you don't need to worry about the outward sound. make sure you can hear yourself. If that is too loud for the venue, then take your music somewhere else.
I never thought to do that until I saw a friend performing in the corner of a very small venue. He had just a monitor in front of him and the sound bouncing back into the club was plenty loud. Great idea I thought for small, low volume places. The other great solution is in-ears.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:35 AM

hmm I guess I will try to point it AT me in the front instead of behind me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification