The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2022, 10:15 AM

Question How do you use the Adjustable Mid Frequency Control for better tone?

How do you use the Adjustable Mid Frequency Control (aka AMF)? I'm trying to understand how this control can better shape my tone.

The Yamaha System73 is an example of a guitar preamp with an AMF. It has a range of 80 Hz to 5 kHz with the midpoint at 400 Hz.

Old 10-21-2022, 12:19 PM

I often use it to eliminate the most troubling frequencies: turn the mid knob up (maybe around 3:00), scan the frequencies, find the most offending one, then dial back the mid knob to eliminate it.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 10-21-2022, 12:24 PM

^^^ this ….. or turn the mid knob down to around 9:00 and move the slider till it sounds best.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-20-2022, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I often use it to eliminate the most troubling frequencies: turn the mid knob up (maybe around 3:00), scan the frequencies, find the most offending one, then dial back the mid knob to eliminate it.

This is exactly how I use a sweepable mid. It’s also how some very professional sound-people use it, which is where I learned it.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Hi CS…
There isn't a magic number. Things which affect the sound of our amplified instruments are:
  • The instrument itself
  • The pickup
  • The preamp
  • The PA system or amp it's playing through
  • The room we in

Rooms can sound vastly different, as do PA systems and amps we play through. The mid range is just one additional tone knob to adjust certain frequencies as you play. The mids often tend to be harsh if overdone, so an adjustable mid range selector is a useful tool.

A way to tell how adjustments affect output with the unit you pictured is to turn all three tone knobs to 'flat' (middle), and turn the midrange all the way up, and then play your guitar while someone else slowly slides the adjustable midrange frequency slider all the way from lowest to highest frequency so you hear the frequencies it is adjusting at their loudest (and sometimes most obnoxious) volumes.

Then turn the midrange dial down as far as you can and repeat the process and hear what is sounds like with those frequencies when subtracted. You will be able to isolate the strings which are being affected by that slider. Of the three frequency ranges, an infinitely adjustable midrange is the most useful.

This is just a quick-n-dirty way to see which mid range notes and strings are being affected by the unit you are using.

Hope this makes sense…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-23-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

The Mesa Rosette has two semi parametric mids. The technique I use is to set everything thing flat, boost the mids and sweep the frequencies until one pops out. Then lower the volume for that freq. In general I look for frequencies to cut to kill any piezo squawk.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
THIS. If I would have found this thread first, I'd have typed this exact reply.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification