The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Everett Small Jumbo (P) Milano 2000 near-mint SOLD

IMG_3360 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

IMG_3368 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

Whew. On one of my mandolin cases a former owner put a sticker that says, “Fight Entropy!” I left it there to remind me that entropy sooner or later wins. And in my case it’s winning among other obvious ways as arthritis, in my right (former finger-picking) hand for now, but it's moving on, as entropy does. So this precious guitar and another (see the Kinnaird in a separate ad https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=612746) need to move on to new loving and less arthritic hands.

I have known and come to have a deep fondness for Kent “Carlos” Everett http://www.everettguitars.com/ and his work for the last 20 or so years, and have given grateful home to a half-dozen of his guitars. This is the most recent and the last of his guitars that I have savored, and it is in many ways perhaps the best.

IMG_3362 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

It’s a 2000 Milano P (roughly Small Jumbo size), built originally for Buffalo Brothers with many custom features: a world-class piece of stripy Indian Rosewood for the back and sides:
IMG_3367 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

one of Kent’s famous “salmon crate” Sitka tops with beautiful silking and figure:

IMG_3364 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

a gorgeous comedy/tragedy headstock inlay:
IMG_3361 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

Abalone top binding and rosette:

IMG_3363 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

(check out that bound soundhole, purfling, and fingerboard end detail!)

masterfully integrated curly maple binding, tail wedge, black/white purfling lines, and three piece (mahogany, maple, mahogany) neck:

IMG_3380 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

IMG_3374 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

Lacewood fingerboard binding and ebony position dots:
IMG_3376 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

And curly lacewood peghead back overlay:
IMG_3369 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

And even abalone decorative overlay on the edges of the bridge (who besides Kent does that?!?!)
IMG_3377 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

You may see some more pictures by clicking on the Flickr link beside any of the ones I’ve posted. My, what a gorgeous guitar. The usual specs (25.4” scale, 1 ¾” at the nut and 2¼” spacing at the saddle). K&K mini. Original case.

NO dings, dents, scrapes, or significant fretwear. What?!!?!? Yep. I am the second owner, and bought it from a kind guy in California who very rarely played it so responded to my “want to buy Everett” ad six years ago. It has never left our home, which I keep humidity controlled and safe for our instruments.
IMG_3461 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

So this is an almost-new 21 year-old guitar with the balanced, big, sophisticated voice that manages to be at once crisp and lush, the voice that is Kent’s signature sound (he's the one that did the "Voicing a Guitar" DVD, after all)...

I would never sell it were it not for…IMG_3463 by Mark Kunkel, on Flickr

$2550 or very near offer (I’m not in a hurry to sell), with usual inspection period of 48 hours with shipping costs paid by the buyer in the unlikely event of a return. I’ve been doing this for a long time and am known for careful and fastidious and prompt shipping, and for accurate description of my instruments. No trades, please, for the reasons I’ve described.

Happy picking, everyone… carry on with the fight against entropy!

Mark

Last edited by Markkunkel; 04-15-2021 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

These are wonderful, I've played several of Kent's guitars over the years (including a few Milanos) and they've all been great. That's a lot of guitar for the money.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-14-2021, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Warfrat...these are world-class guitars.

Kent is building his final 4 after a 45-year building career that has brought more than 800 instruments into the world.

This is a very very very good one, and thanks again for the interest so far.

Still available,

Mark
Old 04-14-2021, 08:41 AM

got any sound clips?
Old 04-14-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Hi there, and thanks for the interest.

I spent some time with this guitar last night, in standard and dropped-D tunings, and my... it just sings.

So I'll try to put something representative together and post it here. Stay tuned (so to speak).

Mark
Old 04-14-2021, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

This is such a great price for what it is, I didn't think it would last the first day! Low & behold it's still here! Someone will get a deal! GLWS!
Steve
Old 04-14-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, Steve, I think finding this sweet guitar a new and similarly appreciative home is a bit more important to me than getting top dollar for it. Kent's work seems to be a bit underappreciated here, and I agree that I haven't seen a guitar in this price range that would compare.

I note too (in response to a question) that there is a K&K Pure Mini installed. Great plugged-in sound.

Mark
Old 04-14-2021, 01:55 PM

This is a great deal on an Everett. I've owned a couple over the years and can vouch for the high quality of workmanship and artistry. Kent always added some special touches to his guitars.

You might want to give some body sizes, since everyone seems to define an SJ a little different, and I don't think the website gives that info unless I missed it.

I can also recommend Mark as a seller. I've dealt with him in the past and it was always a pleasant experience. Sorry you are dealing with the hand issues.

David
Old 04-14-2021, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Sold, it is...

and on to another grateful home.

Thank you for the empathy and the recommendation, David.

Here's to making peace with entropy!

Mark
Old 04-14-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markkunkel View Post
and on to another grateful home.

Thank you for the empathy and the recommendation, David.

Here's to making peace with entropy!

Mark
Please update your subject line to sold.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

done, and thanks for the reminder.

MK
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars