The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-10-2021, 03:52 PM

Default X 30 FINGERSTYLE qualities In-Depth Inquiry

The bold X 30. It has been praised about great bass, warmth and big sound. Also its been said it is »Piano like«, which is a big thumb up for me personaly, if it is real. There are some Youtube videos, to be able to listen the guitar, but IMHO very different from one onother, so I can't get my head around it in a way I want, to push the order button. I did found two recordings which are both in drop tunings I play in and generaly like them, but still I need some more information, which will hopefuly benefit others as well.

So I would like to start an In-depth discussion about those things which are important to have in a fine Jumbo fingerstyle guitar (at least for me) and hopefully there will be some input. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

TREBLES:

- are they melodic, musical and beautiful, so you realy like to listen them?
- are they fat, full and rich or mybe just sweet?
- is there the important clarity and ringing quality in them?

While I initialy just wanted to ask the above questions about trebles, I now added some other as well if you like to share some thoughts.

BLOOM or BOOM:
- does X30 bloom like a great jumbo guitars or it booms more like a fine dreadnought?

MUSICALITY:
- does it offer a wide palette of colors and dynamics?

TEHNICAL:
- is there the evenness in volume from string to string and same character/color of tone everywhere on the fretboard?
- is there same sustain decay of notes everywhere up the fretboard?

TOP RESPONSE:
- does the top behave similar to adirondack, european or more like a cedar?
- does it response to the lightest touch and can you also dig in?
- how does it perform with true mediums in drop tunings – any lost of ringing resonance? Or you prefer lighter Elixir PB HD or mybe brighter 80/20s? But probably 12-53 Elixirs would be just as good or better.
- your opinion: would shorter »00028 like« scale of 24.9'' help to increase qualities in trebles for drop tunings or make them worse in the particular case of X30, due to stiffer carbon top?

INSPIRATION (essential):
- does the guitar have that inspiring compelling factor and expressive qualities, like found in some great luthier made Euro/BRW instruments ?

I appreciate your guidance very much. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

The positive has been covered many times so I’ll give you some negative points (just my opinion ):
- I found the X30 a bit dead compared to the X20 fingerpicked
- Mine had a very obvious wolf note around open D/D#

Last edited by Tøf; 03-10-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:40 AM

I’ve had my X30 for a couple of months now and I find no weaknesses in it relative to hand made custom wooden guitars, one very fine one I own and. Have now consigned, due to the excellence of the X30.

I find it comfortable to play, due to it’s design incorporating the bevel and body contours.

I’m not a fingerstyle player so I’ll just say that it responds well to a light pick or heavy hand, with an even balance across the strings. “Responsiveness” is the word that best describes the X30. Each note is strong and clear with no overbearing treble, bass, or midrange.

I consider it on par with any major brand acoustic guitar on the market. It’s the only Emerald I’ve had a chance to play, so my opinion is solely focused on the X30 and others have far more experience with the other models than I do.

I will never part with this guitar, I recently consigned what I thought was the best sounding acoustic guitar I’d ever owned, with no regrets after bonding with this monster X30. It checks all the boxes for this player.

If anyone would have told me I’d be making these statements about a CF guitar I would have laughed out loud. That pretty much sums it up.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I’ve had my X30 for a couple of months now and I find no weaknesses in it relative to hand made custom wooden guitars, one very fine one I own
Hi Goodallboy. I presume you played many Goodall guitars in your life. How do you feel X30 compares to Goodall standard overall and especialy in treble register charm? Thanks
Old 03-12-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Don't be swayed too much by the Emerald fan club OP....most of the CF guitars are VERY good and can have a pleasing tone, but there are still some that prefer the tone of a nice wood guitar. It's something you have to figure out for yourself if it's one or the other. Personally I like one of each for the variety. The CF guitars do offer great value for what you get at that price point. You may prefer the tone of a Goodall, but if I'm not mistaken, don't they cost about 2x a nice custom Emerald ? To be honest, if I could have only one, I really don't know if it would be my 000-18 or my Sable. Both different and excellent in their own way. I'm sure others feel the same about their Emeralds.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander1356 View Post
Hi Goodallboy. I presume you played many Goodall guitars in your life. How do you feel X30 compares to Goodall standard overall and especialy in treble register charm? Thanks
It is interesting that you are asking about the trebles. I have had that same question because most of the X30 owners tend to talk about the surprisingly powerful bass. I got a few responses that the trebles are present and sweet, and do not suffer in comparison the bass output. I decided to take a chance and am waiting as mine is being built. I have a RainSong H-OM that is a delightful guitar, beautiful and balanced. We'll see in about 4 months.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-12-2021, 04:56 PM

My emerald was ordered Jan 18th and was in today’s shipping video. With them still ramping production up maybe you will be under 2 months.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander1356 View Post
I’ve played many Goodalls and owned a few more. Others have owned more than me but I did have a Goodall Grand Concert as my #1 guitar for over a decade, as some mail order brides came and went that I couldn’t bond with. It was unseated by a very fine McCollum. I’m moving the McCollum as we speak.

My X30 doesn’t have the treble shimmer of my Goodall (not all Goodalls have it) but they are strong and clear. The X30 has more of everything else, more bass, more mids, more volume, and the “speaker” is in my face and I’m in control of the volume. It’s a bad boy and I love it. So much so that I’m a very biased reviewer.

If this one mysteriously disappeared, I’d have one on order the next day.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-12-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
If this one mysteriously disappeared, I’d have one on order the next day.
Another neat thing about CF is that you never have to worry about the one that got away as you would with a wood guitar. You also don't have to wait for several years for them to sound "seasoned".
Old 03-13-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
- Mine had a very obvious wolf note around open D/D#
What is a "wolf note"?
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 03-13-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I think the correct term is wolf tone. Basically the note starts to sound and disappears immediately without ringing.
I thought my X30 was the exception but someone else mentioned it on the forum a few months ago, at the exact same frequencies. It was an early X30 so it might have been corrected.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Another neat thing about CF is that you never have to worry about the one that got away as you would with a wood guitar. You also don't have to wait for several years for them to sound "seasoned".
You raise an interesting point.

Since they are manufactured as they are, I’d really like to play another X30, just for the comparison.

Logic tells me your right and if you are, they will take over the world. :-)
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-13-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
I think the correct term is wolf tone. Basically the note starts to sound and disappears immediately without ringing.
I thought my X30 was the exception but someone else mentioned it on the forum a few months ago, at the exact same frequencies. It was an early X30 so it might have been corrected.
Thank you. I learned something new.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 03-13-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrnd View Post
Thank you. I learned something new.
Don’t get too concerned about it, in over 40 years of playing hundreds of guitars, it’s never been an issue.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-15-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
It is interesting that you are asking about the trebles. I have had that same question because most of the X30 owners tend to talk about the surprisingly powerful bass. I got a few responses that the trebles are present and sweet, and do not suffer in comparison the bass output. I decided to take a chance and am waiting as mine is being built.

I am happy for you. I am sure you will like it

What I wanted to know about X30 trebles is are they pleasing to the ear and musical? I gues I will have to see it on my own.

"Goodallboy" said they are strong and clear which are two good things for treble. And he definitely convinced me about goodness of X30!

Now I'll have to make a decision. Thanks for all comments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber