The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-06-2021, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
What a lovely guitar...adding another 'thumbs up' for the incredible, understated elegance with the blue accents.

I'm so glad you went for a soundport, John. I think you'll love it. The execution of this one adds to the aesthetic and beauty of the guitar - great choice! Even has a wonderful name (Luckenbooth Medallion) - I did not know Luckenbooth is one of the most romantic Scottish symbols of love. Is there a story behind that selection?

Can't wait to see the instrument advance into final form soon...
Thanks for the affirmation and kind words, Andy! Having a sound port is completely new to me, but I have heard so many great things about it, that I feel I made the right decision. In terms of design...and whether there is a story behind the choice...alas, I wish I could say there was a special reason to it, but honestly I didn't even realize there was a deeper meaning to this symbol. Thanks though for educating me on that -- in fact, I just did some reading up on this, and you're right -- there is definitely cool history and meaning to this symbol.

Is it too late to come up with a story for my wife?

Last edited by jjhturbo; 04-06-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhturbo View Post
Is it too late to come up with a story for my wife?
Excellent idea, John. Maybe Mary or Tim may have advice on this. Perhaps you could write a song for your wife (how does 'You Are My Luckenbooth' sound?). You have options!
Old 04-10-2021, 05:48 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Sorry to hear about the setback, but stuff happens. Guitar is looking fantabulous!
Old 04-12-2021, 06:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Excellent idea, John. Maybe Mary or Tim may have advice on this. Perhaps you could write a song for your wife (how does 'You Are My Luckenbooth' sound?). You have options!
Now that is an excellent idea CarmelCedar!

jjhTurbo, We will be expecting a demo CD in the near future so you better sharpen your pencil and start jotting down some lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Sorry to hear about the setback, but stuff happens. Guitar is looking fantabulous!
Hey, stuff happens in life and much of it is out of our control. Not to worry though because the new motor is making fresh air quite efficiently now. Sorry but we've not many pictures to share at this stage because we are just hanging out watching Cat Lacquer drying.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful work Tim. I really like the way you sequenced the finishing process and that sound port insert. Real craftsmanship.

John
Old 04-14-2021, 05:44 AM

While we're watching paint dry, how about some levity?

Years ago at the McJam, there was an attendee couple where the poor wife was sick the entire weekend and spent most of the McJam bundled up on the McKnight's living room recliner.

Near the end, I heard her husband and Tim discussing his purchase and shipment of a McKnight guitar. I found that odd because they had driven to the McJam in a van, RV or other roomy vehicle. Why not just take it with them?

After they departed, I asked Tim. He said what I should have obviously figured out - he didn't want his wife to know he had purchased a McKnight.

Alright - maybe not the funniest story, but I found it amusing at the time.

On a serious note - that is a fantastic looking guitar JJH! You will be thrilled with everything, I'm sure. I just put new strings on my McKnight mahogany dread last night and played for an hour or so. Incredible guitar! I'm sure yours will be just as incredible!
Old 04-14-2021, 07:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Oh, yes, Rodger. I remember that McJam.

McJams are the place to buy a spec guitar so the desired guitar can be played, inspected, admired, tested, listened to by the others and there can be a great discussion with the luthier and all the other wise attendees about the woods, the time it was made, the history of the wood and compare if to other sizes and shapes. It can be heard in different settings. Mic, no mic, out in the open air, in a quiet room, in a tin can which is the shed type building known as the "Lone Cone.

In John's case, we were able to do something we have never done before. We shared a phone face time and let him see we are real with a humidity controlled room for the woods. As is true for many who are here we let them tell us what they want, but Tim will direct them to clear their mind and show them how to shop with their ear. Then we work to direct them to use their eyes. John let us know he wanted subtle, clean lines that wouldn't be blunt to the eye. We enjoyed the time frame we shared that day. We prefer not to design guitars during the McJam but it's nice to give an education to those who know what they know and yet don't know what they don't know.

If you haven't learned this it yet during all McJams I tend to say, "If your questions aren't answered by Tim or me then ask Rodger." He and his wife are great attendees and good friend. He is good about keeping me in my place. If you don't believe me .... ask Rodger! Fact is you can also ask Bruce and Nancy, Kurt, Neil ... and now Dennis. They are knowledgeable, too!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:58 PM

Awww! Thanks for the nice compliment Mary!

I agree about the knowledge base of the McJam attendees. I learn something new every year.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful work, stellar execution—kudos Tim!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-16-2021, 08:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Beautiful work Tim. I really like the way you sequenced the finishing process and that sound port insert. Real craftsmanship.

John
Thanks for the kind words John. I typically wait until just before the last three coats of finish are sprayed before I install a sound port. Since its a pain to sand the port edges, especially on a port with multiple small holes, this prevents excess finish build up or finish delamination on the port edges. I use catalyzed urethane lacquer and as long as I spray successive coats within a 1-1/2 to 4 hour window each coat burns into the previous coat so no sanding is required between coats. Hope this makes sense?
Old 04-16-2021, 05:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Beautiful work, stellar execution—kudos Tim!

Steve
Thanks Steve.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Default The final stretch!

Oh my, just got these pics today (thanks, Mary!). I am in the process of admiring/drooling over these.

Tim - masterful, just masterful work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4822.jpg (37.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 4824.jpg (38.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 4826.jpg (52.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 4829.jpg (39.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 4834.jpg (28.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 4838.jpg (35.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 4839.jpg (34.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 4840.jpg (31.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 4843.jpg (28.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 4847.jpg (35.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 4848.jpg (39.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 4849.jpg (33.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 4850.jpg (28.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 4858.jpg (29.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 4861.jpg (29.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 4862.jpg (27.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 4867.jpg (35.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 4868.jpg (21.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 4869.jpg (40.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 12:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's a great job and I am so glad to have the heat of the wood shop on this cold snowy Ohio day. Your luthier will have a birthday next week. We have had snow on his birthday in the past and I sure am hoping it's not going to appear again this month.

C'mon spring!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
It's a great job and I am so glad to have the heat of the wood shop on this cold snowy Ohio day. Your luthier will have a birthday next week. We have had snow on his birthday in the past and I sure am hoping it's not going to appear again this month.

C'mon spring!
Wow, please send along my early happy bday wishes! Snow this late into April? I think the last time I actually saw snowfall (not just snow on the ground) was....hmm...more than 10 years ago?

My best to both of you.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
(to the tune of "You Are My Sunshine")

You are my Luckenbooth, my only Luckenbooth,
You make me happy just as you are.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you --
Almost as much as my new McKnight guitar.

Always here to help....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop