The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair@lowden View Post
Just to clarify the materials used in this guitar for those that are interested,

Soundboard: Reclaimed Sinker Redwood
Back and Sides: Ancient Bog Oak

BushmillsŪ Irish Whiskey barrel wood for the back inlay, soundbox bevel, bindings, rosette, head facings, and BushmillsŪ12th fret inlay.
Is it true there will only be 8 of these guitars? Would it help if we offered to drink more Bushmills in an effort to force them to build more barrels and perhaps free up some future wood? I am willing to lend to that cause.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Put it this way:
Inlays of whisky barrels detract nothing from its value as a musical instrument, but add to its value as a collectors piece.
Yes, that is true, no doubt they will all sell.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Just give me a Bud and a kazoo, I'll take it from there.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-13-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ok, some feel it's just marketing, lets compare with a recent guitar build as a marketing comparison.
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars.../d-200-deluxe/

I think Lowden may have a slight edge in the taste dept.
Thanks steve! Appreciate the kind comment. A lot of hours were spent styling this guitar between Lowden and Bushmills.
Some will see it as a marketing exercise which of course it is but at the end of the day the passion that went in to designing and making this guitar from George and his team coupled with the enthusiasm and input from Bushmills has led to us creating something which we feel is truly special and a genuine showpiece of what Lowden have to offer and of course it was no bad thing getting to hang out at the Bushmills Distillery and being 'inspired' by what they have to offer
Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 PM

If it were Jamison's or Red Breast.... I find Bushmills' overtones a bit too sweet for my taste.

Still an impressive looking instrument.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Is it true there will only be 8 of these guitars? Would it help if we offered to drink more Bushmills in an effort to force them to build more barrels and perhaps free up some future wood? I am willing to lend to that cause.
My offer goes unnoticed. Disappointing. I love your guitars! In a more sober way as it stands....
Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 PM

Fylde Guitars have been using reclaimed wood from single malt whisky barrels for a few years now.

http://www.fyldeguitars.com/singlemalt.html
Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

i think its a beautiful looking guitar, and I'm sure it sounds excellent being a Lowden.

I think its neat that two "families" of distinct quality of making something, came together and fashioned this out.

I've played a few open back banjos made from white oak(the pot/rim) and necks, sounded great. Deering has just came out with 2 open back and a resonator model using white oak. I find it carries a smooth, clear, deep tone.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
My offer goes unnoticed. Disappointing. I love your guitars! In a more sober way as it stands....
HAHA! Yes I think that would be helpful. Maybe we should all join in with you to help the cause!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair@lowden View Post
HAHA! Yes I think that would be helpful. Maybe we should all join in with you to help the cause!
It takes a village. (A happy village and a thirsty one. Which came first may be hard to determine.)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic_Stevo View Post
Fylde Guitars have been using reclaimed wood from single malt whisky barrels for a few years now.

http://www.fyldeguitars.com/singlemalt.html
I was going to mention this earlier, but I didn't want to be provocative. 😜
Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
So you would "want one" without hearing, touching, playing one? I've played some nice Lowdens but would never consider buying a brand new - zero history model - anything. When you grab yours, pease post an extensive review herein.
It's a f50 lowden. Yes it will vary to others based on new wood, but lowdens fall into a pretty consistent enough voice in general to make a guess at the ballpark it'll be in. And of course would want to play first. But longing can start with the eyes too
Old 06-14-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
.... Still leaves the question about the bog oak as a unique tone wood. Can't even imagine what it would sound like or the challenges of working it.
Doesn't seem to have been an answer to this.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Ok so the cask oak is basically ornamental. Still leaves the question about the bog oak as a unique tone wood. Can't even imagine what it would sound like or the challenges of working it.
Big oak is incredibly hard, almost like metal. There's loads of it lying around here in the west of Ireland, I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:15 AM

Unless the Lotto ticket comes in, I doubt I will ever own one - maybe a heavy scratched used one in a few years time after Mr Gomm or such is finished with it! But it would make a great story for friends or an audience if you are brave enough to play out with it. ( play a few tunes and then say something like: "Ahem, for the guitar players in the audience or others that are interested, the binding and inlays here and here...>>>>>> are made from used Bushmills oak barrells! The back is Bog Oak, possibly thousands of years old and the front is Sinker Redwood reclaimed and all lovingly crafted into this magnificent Lowden guitar!" Pretty cool for the TV spot....

Actually, I enjoy glancing at the figured Sycamore ??? binding on my S35 when I open the case or pack up and I think I might just lie to friends who haven't seen it before...from here on, it is reclaimed whisky barrell binding! It is already signed by Tommy and Phil Emmanuel, another story for the crowd/friends.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
lowden, whiskey