The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM

Question Alvarez Masterworks for Blues

Hello, all.

I just joined AGF yesterday since I'm taking a greater interest in playing acoustic. I've been playing for about four years (during which I lost about a year of playing due to a car crash). I'm an "intermediate" player always on electric guitars.

My primary, if not only, interest (when playing guitar) is in the Blues. I've played many instruments over the years, in many genres, so now I'm content to focus only on Blues.

A few years ago I made too hasty a decision when purchasing an acoustic and ended up with a Breedlove Oregon dreadnaught, $1500. A very nice guitar but it ain't a Blues instrument. I'll be putting it up for sale, in fully mint condition.

I just ordered from Musician's Friend an open box Alvarez Masterworks MPA66. They had a choice of four open box MPA66 guitars, all at $479, so I chose the one that was clearly in better shape (near mint) than the other three. At that price, I decided that it wasn't important to consider the AP66, of which there were no open box in stock. Thus, the additional cost of the MPA66 over the AP66 was not that much. By the way, I'm a little concerned that MF had so many open box MPA66s! Why are there so many returns?

Here is my conundrum. I like everything about the all-solid mahogany Masterworks, although I must admit that what I like is only on paper. (The guitar I ordered might arrive today.) What I'm second-guessing is whether I should have also considered the MFA66, a "folk" or "OM" size instrument, just as appropriate for Blues as the parlor-size.

I'm eager to hear what any of you Blues players have to say. Thanks.

David
Old 08-24-2016, 12:51 PM

Hi there!

Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up about find a 'blues guitar'. Instead, I'd look out for a guitar that sounds and feels good to you. If you can tick that box, you can bet it'll sound good for blues, whatever it is!

Incidentally, I also briefly had an Oregon dread and had a similar reaction. Although I wasn't specifically looking for a blues instrument, the sound of it just wasn't for me, even though it was a lovely instrument and would no doubt have delighted someone else.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

I have the ap66, which is nice, but I'm sure yours will have a mellower sound being all solid wood. You can play the Blues on anything, but I like my Gibson best for that.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-24-2016, 01:09 PM

Welcome to the AGF!

I was just eyeballing those open-box MPA66s a few days ago myself. I noticed someone had snatched up the one without any scratches! Congrats on your soon-to-be new guitar.

I haven't played the Masterworks guitars you mention, but I have played the Artist Series parlor (AP66) and the OM version of that (AF66, I think it's called). If the Masterworks versions are similar, I'd say you made a better choice with the parlor. The AF66 was thin and tinny to my ear in comparison to the parlor. The 12-fret body vs the 14 on the OM/Folk probably has a lot to do with it; the parlor just had a fuller, deeper sound, despite being the smaller instrument.

I've found the Artist Series parlor to be a really satisfying and versatile guitar for a lot of genres. Hopefully you'll like it. (And if not, rather than the OM/Folk, you might want to consider this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar )
Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have the ap66, which is nice, but I'm sure yours will have a mellower sound being all solid wood. You can play the Blues on anything, but I like my Gibson best for that.
I agree you can play blues on anything, and honestly make it sound great!! Enjoy your search!!

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 PM

I can't speak directly to the MW Parlors, I have played several of the A series Alvarez parlors but none of the Masterworks. I own a Masterworks MFA70 (Spruce over RW) and it is exceptional.

There are several Masterworks owners here, both of the parlors and the OM's. As for playin' da bluz - I've been a blues player for 25+ years (mostly harp) and play both finger style blues and Blues in open G on a reso. I find blues on an OM or Parlor about the same - obviously more volume in an OM and more nasal "honkiness" on a parlor.

My only concern about the Alvarez parlors is their super short scale length (24") - you do lose punch on a scale that short. Just something to consider. On the flip side, it makes bends super easy.

I have been contemplating the MPA66 myself - let us all know what you think of it when it arrives.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

So, did the guitar arrive? If so, please give us your impressions on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, blues, mahogany, masterworks