The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 AM

That instrument was made, prepped and sold for you to buy and enjoy. If your tuning makes you play more and brings you joy you shouldn't waste another second worrying about.

In the absolute worse case scenario: Someday, down the road years from now, you end up having to get it repaired... or worse yet, buy a new one. Then the process will start all over

Enjoy it.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Huh?

How can one guitar be tuned to two different tunings at the same time?
I think I did that on stage once. Hazards of playing a 12 string....

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-22-2017, 10:51 AM

I'm a mostly open tuned player. When I was starting out I was advised that open E or A would add more tension to the neck & could make the neck bow over time, therefore it was safer to use open D or G & capo up, which is what I've always done. That said, someone showed me a guitar that had been used exclusively in open E for 25 years a while back and the neck was straight as a ruler.

Swapping between tuning a lot does kill strings though.

Hear some footstomping acoustic blues at pistolpetewearn.co.uk!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dadgad, fingerstyle, guitar maintainance, open d, special tuning