The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2016, 06:57 PM

Default Goodall gc vs cj

Hi im wordering whatbthe direct tonal differences are between the gc and the cj size. I have to purchase sight unseen but i want to choose the right size. Does anyone have dimensions or playing experiences with both sizes? Is the cj like the taylor grand auditorium?

Fyi, Im leaning toward the cj so far(adi/eir). I currently play a martin Gpcpa4 rosewood.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

The GC has a lower bout width of 15", while the CJ has a lower bout width of 15 7/8" (specs available on the Goodall website).

All other things being equal (if they ever can be), specifically, the top wood, back & sides wood, scale length, and string gauge/type, the CJ should have a little more bass response and overall volume potential, while the GC should have a little more clarity and "sweetness".

If you're buying from a distance, make sure there is a trial period, so that you can return a guitar if it doesn't meet your expectations or needs.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg1996 View Post
Hi im wordering whatbthe direct tonal differences are between the gc and the cj size. I have to purchase sight unseen but i want to choose the right size. Does anyone have dimensions or playing experiences with both sizes? Is the cj like the taylor grand auditorium?

Fyi, Im leaning toward the cj so far(adi/eir). I currently play a martin Gpcpa4 rosewood.
I've owned several Goodall's and the GC was the best sounding of the herd. It's totally subjective but for my uses as a singer songwriter, the GC is the perfect body size. I believe it has a better tonal balance and projection (I didn't say volume) than the larger bodied guitar.

Mine was Cocobolo/Sitka and that had much to do with it's tonal qualities.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-23-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post
The GC has a lower bout width of 15", while the CJ has a lower bout width of 15 7/8" (specs available on the Goodall website).

All other things being equal (if they ever can be), specifically, the top wood, back & sides wood, scale length, and string gauge/type, the CJ should have a little more bass response and overall volume potential, while the GC should have a little more clarity and "sweetness".

If you're buying from a distance, make sure there is a trial period, so that you can return a guitar if it doesn't meet your expectations or needs.
Im buying from canada, directly from Jean over at goodall... Do they offer trials? Haha
Old 11-23-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I've owned several Goodall's and the GC was the best sounding of the herd. It's totally subjective but for my uses as a singer songwriter, the GC is the perfect body size. I believe it has a better tonal balance and projection (I didn't say volume) than the larger bodied guitar.

Mine was Cocobolo/Sitka and that had much to do with it's tonal qualities.
I will be using it mostly for worship at church unplugged. So, 75% strumming 25% picking... Would you say you still prefer the gc over the cj?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

I've have owned 4 Goodall's; 3 GC's and a Standard.
I have a big standard and a small sitka / Koa GC cutaway, presently.
The two GC's that I no longer own were both stellar.
The GC's are very comfortable and the Goodall tone is wholly satisfying.

As you can sense, I really like the GC size alot, and always will.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

When I lived in Fort Bragg, I became friends with James and his family... had the opportunity to play nearly 100 of his guitars in the three years I lived there.

After knowing James for several years (and playing 60 or 70 of his guitars!), I finally worked up a build with him. I LOVE the Concert Jumbo shape of his, but, because I already own my Mark Angus F-40, I felt the two would overlap...

So, he built me my Grand Concert! I have grown to truly love this little guitar quite a bit; redwood top with figured mahogany back and sides... it really is a loud little box! And it compliments my Angus perfectly...

However, were I to have ONE 6 string acoustic guitar, I would not hesitate to have one of James' Concert Jumbos; they are, to my way of thinking, the perfect shape/size for an acoustic guitar - big enough to produce great volume and bass, small enough to be comfortable for hours of play at one time. I love the Grand Concert, but it feels a bit "small" in my arms and hands, and there are times I miss the bass response of a larger guitar... which my Angus produces, being nearly the same size as a Concert Jumbo.

James Goodall makes exquisite guitars, and you will be thrilled with either choice. Like Martz911 said, the wood for the top can makes worlds of difference. James was the first person to let me know about Port Orford cedar and how marvelous it is for a top wood... had I not had my mind set on redwood to commemorate my time living there, I would have had Port Orford on my Goodall.

You are a very lucky fellow to be getting a Goodall!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-24-2016, 05:27 PM

thank you for all of your opinions/ suggestions...i think ill be going with a concert jumbo just paid my deposit haha
Old 11-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I've played a couple GC Goodalls and probably 10 or so CJs they are both. Think of the CJ as a Taylor x14 and a GC as a Taylor X12. The GC is kind of like a modern voiced OM. I played a Redwood Macassar ebony Goodall GC at Sylvan that was absolutely incredible. I also played an Italian Spruce and Mahogany GC at the Goodall Shop that was great too. I'm not much for small body guitars but you can't really go wrong with a Goodall.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
concert jumbo, goodall, grand concert