The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-19-2005, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardism
Can't believe I forgot to include what was probably the biggest thrill for me.. Warren Haynes at the Fillmore last year. I got him to sign my Govt Mule shirt from their first tour. Shook my hand, signed my shirt, then tore through a rip-snorter of a set.

I met Warren years ago. He's a great guy and has fantastic taste in music, too! I also happen to know that he remembers meeting me. It was one of those experiences that no one would forget....mainly because the whole thing was just so sublimely bizarre!

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-20-2005, 06:58 AM

Finally got to meet Harvey Reid about a month or so ago...he and his delightful bride Joyce put forth a marvelous show. When signing a CD for me, he did this little graphic of a fretboard on it as well. He said that since I was a fellow player, he'd put that on there. Sure, it was a small thing, and I know he was just being kind, but I was amazed at what a thrill it was coming from him. Little things mean a lot.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:36 PM

Location: Plattsburgh,NY (one hour south of Montreal Canada )

I fell in love with My guitar hero ( my teacher, friend and soulmate ! ) We both met Tuck Andress and Patty ( of Tuck and Patty Jazz duet ) Tuck is a shy, quiet guy, but he and My Jerry had a lot in common as far as influences etc, and they enjoyed swapping road stories from 30plus years on the road. Patty is a beautiful, loving lady with a voice like a tenor sax ! She hugs her fans as if they are long lost friends !! Jerry also met George Benson when they were both in their teens, Jerry PLAYED FOR Tony Orlando and Dawn for almost a year as a "pit" guitarist. But Jerry's most treasured memory is when he was invited to jam with Tal Farlow. Jerry had mailed a taped "guitar lesson " to a friend....it somehow got to Tal's ears and Tal said, I've got to meet that guy !" Jerry flew to Florda in 1996 and spent 6 hours jamming with Tal . He has a signed photo and a tape of their "session"
Tal died of throat cancer a year or two later
We both also like Don Ross and would love to catch him on tour.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

There's lots of brilliant big name performers out there that I want to learn from and like listening to, but I don't feel like referring to any of them as a "hero".

But I have met my guitar hero - a totally unknown person who, after life had knocked me round a bit, made me remember how I fell in love with guitar as a small child and how badly I had wanted to play. It brought the love back to what (with the wisdom of hindsight) had withered to an exercise of duty. What I received from that person is as important as anything I'll ever learn from any player, I think.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
The Middle Way

It might be tought to meet my guitar Hero: Robert Johnson!

Guitars: Too many, but current favorite: 2006 Santa Cruz D-12

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

Blog: soundr
Old 04-22-2005, 05:47 PM

Cool

I finally met one of my heros last year...his name's Hans Olson...he's a local blues singer/guitarist/blues harpist, and yet it took me almost 20 years to meet him. I just kept missing his gigs, then, when I made to his performances, he would leave before I could meet him...I finally corraled him at a small pizza joint, where I blushed and stammered, bought his CD, and then asked him how he played so well with his thumb over the front...he just looked at me and said, "Dunno, I just play how I can, man!!" Not my best interview, but it was still a thrill to meet him...he's so wonderful, and yet he won't sell out to the record companies--he makes his own recordings out of his garage, and he once played a half-hour set on the local PBS station. Mostly, he plays for love, beer, and pizza!!
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 04-22-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Your hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParleyDee
There's lots of brilliant big name performers out there that I want to learn from and like listening to, but I don't feel like referring to any of them as a "hero".

But I have met my guitar hero - a totally unknown person who, after life had knocked me round a bit, made me remember how I fell in love with guitar as a small child and how badly I had wanted to play. It brought the love back to what (with the wisdom of hindsight) had withered to an exercise of duty. What I received from that person is as important as anything I'll ever learn from any player, I think.
I'd like to think the two people I've given guitars to over the years would remember me as you remember your hero. One was given anonymously, however, but maybe the recipient will think of his anonymous Santa as fondly as you recall your hero.

Goya GG-5
Blueridge BR-160
Blueridge BG-60
Pimental Requinto 1977
Old 04-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default yes, i have...

met several guitarists whose musicianship and humble attitude
i admire and respect a great deal

they realize they are blessed and they way they carry themselves,
as well as their generousity with their time, speak volumes

also, the reason why they do what they do and how they do it
is nothing less than amazing (to me)...
in four words: it's not about them

hope to meet a few more next weekend (it would be cool if it happens),
but do i get to serve with a few of them during the next two days
Old 04-22-2005, 08:32 PM

Pete Townshend...Not yet

Bruce Springsteen...last September, at a Patti Scialfa concert at the Roxy. I was introduced to him, and he introduced himself by name...as of I wouldn't know!! But it was very cool.

Nils Lofgren...numerous times over the years--very down to earth

Glenn Tilbrook...a couple years back. An amazing player...cheers, then!

Laurence Juber...last summer. Got to strum his LJ Mahogany Martin

'01 Taylor K14C
'10 Taylor K-65
Baby Taylor Koa
'04 Gibson SJ-200 (Townshend Signature Model)
Weber Koa Yellowstone Mandolin
Weber Big Sky archtop guitar
'05 Fender CS Nocaster (Closet Classic)
'04 Fender CS Masterbuilt '54 Stratocaster
'04 Rickenbacker 660/12 Fireglo
Old 04-23-2005, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParleyDee
This was what listening to Pat Donohue's Big Blind Bluesy did to me. I was bored, stuck in a rut and going through the motions. On a whim and never having heard him before, I bought Pat's Big Blind Bluesy cd from Borders. It just revved me up so much I even ended up travelling from Australia to study with him for a week at Mark Hanson's camp in Portland, Oregon two years later. I can't think of any other player that has affected me like that. I will always be grateful to him for that.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:16 AM

One of my good friends produces concerts and I have been fortunate to meet, talk shop and sometimes have a meal with most of my favorites such as Peter White, Russ Freeman, Marc Antoine, Craig Chaquico, Tommy Emmanuel, Norman Brown and Lauwrence Juber. My experience with them is they are down to earth guys who you'd enjoy sittin' down for a couple of beers and kicking around life experiences with.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-24-2005, 08:31 AM

I also have Geddy Lee`s autograph.......

The Guitars:

2005 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion 3

@ STOLEN @ 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion - Serial # 83010043
@ STOLEN @ 2002 814ce LTD - Serial # 20020930110

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

http://bobbyfromnc.blogspot.com/

John 3.16
Old 04-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgesMan
I'd like to think the two people I've given guitars to over the years would remember me as you remember your hero. One was given anonymously, however, but maybe the recipient will think of his anonymous Santa as fondly as you recall your hero.
MiddleAgesMan, I truly hope that's so. If I had been given a guitar like that, it would certainly be the case.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw
met several guitarists whose musicianship and humble attitude i admire and respect a great deal

they realize they are blessed and they way they carry themselves, as well as their generousity with their time, speak volumes

also, the reason why they do what they do and how they do it is nothing less than amazing (to me)...
in four words: it's not about them
Couldn't have said it better myself, so I'll just say "ditto".
Old 04-26-2005, 11:25 AM

Thumbs up

Oh yeah,I`ve met Johnny Winter and have his Autograph.....

Keep posten....

The Guitars:

2005 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion 3

@ STOLEN @ 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion - Serial # 83010043
@ STOLEN @ 2002 814ce LTD - Serial # 20020930110

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

http://bobbyfromnc.blogspot.com/

John 3.16

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell