The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-03-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeney3co
By any chance do you live in Colorado?
Nope, I'm still waiting for him to do an east coast tour. I did see him play in Colorado though when I was out visiting some friends. That's how I first got familiar with his music.

I'm jealous you get to see him on March 11th. I noticed Katie Herzig is opening for him. She is the lead singer of Newcomers Home - a pretty sweet band in Colorado.

What was your favorite song of his when you saw him play?
Old 03-03-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylortom
I get that the gain is cranked way up for the tapping but what I don't understand is how balanced the strumming sounds are when the gain is cranked up so high to bring up the taps???

Can anyone help me understand?
My guess would be heavy compression. A compressor is designed to adjust gain to maintain consistent output volume as the input volume changes.

Fran
Old 03-10-2005, 04:40 PM

I noticed Katie Herzig was playing with him. I think Newcomers Home is great also. They sounded very professional when we saw them the same night as Trace Bundy.

I know Trace most likely has a insane schedule but I was thinking of asking him if he ever teaches lessons. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Who knows, maybe he'll point me in the right direction?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:42 PM

Oh good grief, somebody slap me; I'm not doing my job!!!! I've let this thread go more than three pages and I haven't posted any Phil Keaggy videos!!! And there's a new one up this month, even!

*hangs head in shame*

OK, here it is...

On March 2nd, 2005, Phil performed a conert in San Diego, CA which was webcast live. The entire 1 and 1/2 hour performance has now been archived and is available for your viewing pleasure.

You will find it at:
http://www.maranathachapel.org/media...p?eventid=1912

You can also find other artists in their archive:
http://www.maranathachapel.org/media2/archives.php

My computer is far too out of date to watch any of the videos in this thread, even Phil's . But I saw him on Feb 28th and he's more amazing than ever. So, I'm seeing him again in less than 9 days in Colorado...two nights in a row.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood
What was your favorite song of his when you saw him play?
I would have to say my favorites are Urban Challenge, Stones Serenade and Porch Swing.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Eric Skye

http://www.caminosflamencos.com/photos.htm

Jason Mcguire... Ok, clearly this guy has jaw dropping technique, but I'm always struck by the depth of his music, and his tone is scary..... It might be better to check the “Contratiempo” video with eyes closed first.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood
...He's definitely the best guitarist I've ever seen live.
Hi...
I've met Trace, and my luthier (Michael Bashkin in Fort Collins, Colorado) services his guitar which is a Taylor 714CE with the nut extended to the treble side for his ''antics''. The 1st string barely stays within the boundaries of the fingerboard.

He had to refret it after 2 years because of the wear and tear Trace exerts on it...I told him it's the first time I'd seen WWF meets acoustic guitar.

The times I've seen Trace, he is not compressing...just controlled strumming which sounds louder than it is. He is really in control of the instrument. He balances his volume very near feedback point for the tapping, and often that means working with little monitor.

Last year when I saw him, he was using a Line6 delay for looping, and I was hoping he'd upgrade to something with more recording time...don't know if he has.

While a lot of fun and worth checking out live, there are many more proficient guitarists out there, so check them out too.

As to making you want to put your guitar down...I know the feeling. Used to get it after attending great acoustic concerts. Last year, my best friend and gigging partner came up with a new motto...''Learn it, don't burn it!''

We have been focusing on improving our skills and drawing inspriration from great players instead of being frustrated by them.

If you like Trace, two other guitarists you'd likely enjoy are Dave Beegle and Phil Keaggy. Both have websites with their names and add .com.

I know there is live video of a concert Phil did in a Calvary Chapel in March 2005 available (his part starts 32 minutes in), and Dave is supposed to release his DVD this years.

Of course, Phil is like all the others but even better...you really have to see him to believe it is possible (and legal) to do things like that with an acoustic guitar.

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-31-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKfanSteph
Oh good grief, somebody slap me; I'm not doing my job!!!! I've let this thread go more than three pages and I haven't posted any Phil Keaggy videos!!! And there's a new one up this month, even!

*hangs head in shame*

OK, here it is...

On March 2nd, 2005, Phil performed a conert in San Diego, CA which was webcast live. The entire 1 and 1/2 hour performance has now been archived and is available for your viewing pleasure.

You will find it at:
http://www.maranathachapel.org/media...p?eventid=1912

You can also find other artists in their archive:
http://www.maranathachapel.org/media2/archives.php

My computer is far too out of date to watch any of the videos in this thread, even Phil's . But I saw him on Feb 28th and he's more amazing than ever. So, I'm seeing him again in less than 9 days in Colorado...two nights in a row.
Can't get any of your links to work.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:08 AM

Man makes me feel like my guitars are wasted, when put into my hands.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97
Can't get any of your links to work.
They changed links on me...here's the new one:

http://www.maranathachapel.org/audio...wednesday.html

Sorry about that.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
(Michael Bashkin in Fort Collins, Colorado)
I've met Michael--last year at a Phil Keaggy concert.

Quote:
Last year, my best friend and gigging partner came up with a new motto...''Learn it, don't burn it!''
Amen!

Quote:
If you like Trace, two other guitarists you'd likely enjoy are Dave Beegle and Phil Keaggy. Both have websites with their names and add .com.
I caught Phil and Dave playing together in Salida and Denver a few weeks ago. Separately they are absolutely amazing. Together they are out of this world unbelievable!

Quote:
I know there is live video of a concert Phil did in a Calvary Chapel in March 2005 available (his part starts 32 minutes in),
Here is the webcast. Registration is required, but it's free and the show is worth it. There's also a live DVD, Philly Live!, that was released last year.

Quote:
and Dave is supposed to release his DVD this years.
He's still working on it; not sure of an exact date but I'll post here when I have one. He gave me a rough cut of some of the tracks and they are amazing as usual.

Quote:
Of course, Phil is like all the others but even better...you really have to see him to believe it is possible (and legal) to do things like that with an acoustic guitar.
I've seen Phil a lot and am always amazed at his creativity, but when he played with Dave last month, holy smokes, they broke every rule in the book!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:15 PM

absolutely amazing stuff in this thread

A.M.D.G.

Taylor 314ce "Jimi"
Fender DG11e "Beyonce"
Old 11-22-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Trace Bundy and Andy McKee

I noticed Trace Bundy and Andy McKee did a concert together in Denver - what a show that must have been... Anyone get to see it?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:01 AM

Maybe I'm just old, but the two handed tapping/slapping thing in open tunings just doesn't do much for me. It looks really cool, but if you shut your eyes, there's not alot to it in regards to chord changes, melody, tone, and at times intonation.

I do some of that type of playing, but I see it as icing on the cake, not as the cake. A little goes a long way. Too much gets old quick - kind of like watching a solo banjo concert where the guy plays a bunch of banjo tunes that all use the same 3 chords, same tempo, same feel. I wonder it any of these two-handed compositions will fall into the "classic" catagory to the point where the non-playing public will recognize the tune and it will be learned and played by subsequent generations of guitarists? At least the banjo (one of the first open tuning instruments) repItoire has a Foggy Mountain Breakdown, a Cripple Creek, an Earl's Breakdown, etc. that are somewhat recognizable songs that live on after the original players/composers stop performing them. In the two-handed slapping/tapping open-tuning repetoire are there recognizable and a good enough tunes that will last beyond the career of the composers? Think of the "fusion" era. Alot of great technique, but not many songs came out of that time that folks listen to (and perform) today. The only song out of that era I think obtained a "classic" status was Birdland by Weather Report.

Again, I'm 47 and perhaps too old to appreciate what's going on with this generation of two-handed open-tuning tappers/slappers. I guess the bottom line is this - if you like it, then enjoy it and more power to you.

Last edited by 815C; 11-22-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:03 PM

815C, I agree with you in some ways. I think the trick is being able to do the tapping stuff and still have it sound melodic and musically interesting. I've heard a lot of tapping stuff that looks cool but doesn't sound very great.

However, I think that music is always changing and I personally love seeing guitarists think outside the box and push the boundaries of what is possible on the guitar. I tend to get bored these days if I see a guitar player that isn't really doing anything innovative. The combination of great technique and well-written songs is what really interests me. I think Michael Hedges, Trace Bundy, and Andy McKee do that well, among others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell