The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Not overjoyed with Elixir Nanos..

I put a set of mediums on my Avalon and I noticed 2 things right away.

1. Didn't get that "ahhh new strings" excitement about the tone

and

2. They don't feel coated.

Ok its been a while since I used a set, but I remember a slicker feel than what these have.

Not the end of the world, they still sound good, just under my expectation (which is probably the real issue ).

Has anyone else experienced this with a set recently or is it just me?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-23-2019, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Just put a new set of Nanos on my new $3500 Breedlove Legacy Concerto koa a few hours ago. LOVE EM! The tone from the stock strings had died over the past week of heavy play. I used to prefer the sound of a fresh set of non-coated strings over coated strings. I liked the snappy, bright presence. But that presence fades SO fast with regular play that I've grown to prefer the sound of Nanos or EXPs. In fact, I put a set of regular D'Addarios on my Avalon L32c recently and am already over that. Gonna put Nanos back on it in the next few days. To each his/her own, but my preference has changed 180 degrees.

Last edited by Red_Label; 11-23-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I put a set of mediums on my Avalon and I noticed 2 things right away.

1. Didn't get that "ahhh new strings" excitement about the tone

and

2. They don't feel coated.

Ok its been a while since I used a set, but I remember a slicker feel than what these have.

Not the end of the world, they still sound good, just under my expectation (which is probably the real issue ).

Has anyone else experienced this with a set recently or is it just me?
Y’know, both of those points seem like good things to me! I use PB Nanos precisely because they sound ‘warmed-up’ from the get-go and they feel more like uncoated strings than any other coated string I’ve tried.

But string-choice is very much a personal thing - one man’s meat, yadda yadda - and what suits me won’t necessarily suit someone else. Exactly how it should be!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-23-2019, 12:18 AM

I usually try them on new guitars for evaluation but only keep them on a few. Like most strings, it depends on the guitar. I have never minded the feel of them.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:22 AM

I've tried to love em' and can't. I've tried PB nanos, 80/20 nanos, Bluegrass, and even tried the Poywebs. Just can't like the feel of them. I know some people really like them and I can certainly understand the appeal. I will say that my favorite set I tried where the HD lights in both alloys. For whatever reason they were better tonally to my ear on my guitars.

I play in alternate tunings a lot and no proprietary string coating is going to save my strings from metal fatigue. Due to this I cannot justify the cost of Elixirs, as the longest my guitars will set with strings is about 6-7 weeks or 3 months or so for Retros. So playability and tone become the 2 most important factors for me over longevity.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:17 AM

Make sure you have authentic Elixirs. I only buy them from a local music store now since I got Chinese fakes off Ebay once that weren't even coated. Packaging looked real. You can actually see where the coating stops near the ball end if authentic.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:30 AM

I find them loud, bright and clear....but just a tiny bit too “zingy” for my personal taste. Good strings though.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Never liked them. They make every guitar sound like a guitar with Elixir strings on it and feel horrible.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-23-2019, 04:38 AM

Elixirs usually need a day or two playing to give of their best. I use 80-20 Nanos exclusively and have done since they were first available.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:57 AM

Everything dies in a day or two except Elixir Nanos. They record better due to less string squeak. Never broken one in 15+ years, acoustic or electric, stage or studio. Buy them on sale from your favorite online string vendor in three packs and stop wasting time and money on other brands. If you can’t make these sound good then it’s not the strings, it’s you.

/end rant
Old 11-23-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Everything dies in a day or two except Elixir Nanos. They record better due to less string squeak. Never broken one in 15+ years, acoustic or electric, stage or studio. Buy them on sale from your favorite online string vendor in three packs and stop wasting time and money on other brands. If you can’t make these sound good then it’s not the strings, it’s you.

/end rant
Yes. I took a chance and tried some uncoated strings a while back; they sounded great for a couple of days but quickly lost their tone. I found what I like with Elixir Nanos and see no point in chasing down string rabbit holes in search of something which might not be there.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yes. I took a chance and tried some uncoated strings a while back; they sounded great for a couple of days but quickly lost their tone. I found what I like with Elixir Nanos and see no point in chasing down string rabbit holes in search of something which might not be there.
Amen, Andrew.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-23-2019, 05:27 AM

Hang on this is not a 'are elixirs good' thread but a 'did they just change' thread.

OP, I completely agree - I think something has changed recently. I've been using Exlirs for 2 years - they're the only strings I use.

I've just restung both my guitars and the They feel less coated, have more squeak and took an hour to settle down. I don't rememebr Exlirs and being jangly to start with.

In fact, they felt so different to me that I found myself looking at them to see if they realy were coated or if I'd got a batch that had somehow skppped the coating machine. They were coated.

Once they'd settled down they sound as good as ever, so while I think they've made the coating thinner or something recently. Time will tell if they last as well as they always have.

I change my strings so infrequently - only a few times a year - that I thought it was just me not remembering what a new set of Elixrs were like, but someone else has felt the same I think they've changed.

Last edited by RalphH; 11-23-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

/end rant
I agree with all of this except “If you can’t make these sound good then it’s not the strings, it’s you.” If there is the perception of “bad sound” it will have an impact on how the player plays. This is not the fault of the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I’ve tried almost every coated and non-coated string out there and always come back to Elixir. in November when the Elixir bonus packs are available I purchase 4 boxes and they last me all year.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 11-23-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:

/end rant
Yes agreed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion