The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-02-2023, 09:55 AM

Default Magnetic pickup question?

Which passive magnetic sound hole pickups are easy to install with the strings on, are light weight, have little discernable adverse affect to the unplugged tone of a guitar?
Old 11-02-2023, 10:28 AM

Lace California can be installed temporarily with the strings on. It’s much slimmer than a Bill Lawrence or George L. About the same width as the Rare Earth, except shallower and passive.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
Which passive magnetic sound hole pickups are easy to install with the strings on, are light weight, have little discernable adverse affect to the unplugged tone of a guitar?
Mojotone Quiet Coil NC Passive might fit the bill. I went with the active Mojotone NC2 over the Baggs M80 because it was light weight. Also, I didn't even need to slacken the strings to install, just slips under.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:10 PM

Hi Ken,

The NC Passive is similar to the Baggs M80 in that it has an SBT-like quality. It will click loudly if you strike it with a pick or fingernail. It also has a microphonic cable which you’ll need to secure well somehow.

There’s an AGF thread somewhere where several forum members (myself included) have mentioned giving up on the NC Passive. Mine quit working completely when I tried to wire it to a strap-jack. The electronics pro who I took it to said the problem was inside the pickup itself, NOT the 2’ of cable which I’d soldered to a strap-jack (thereby voiding the warranty).

Messing around with the NC Passive was an expensive lesson for me. If you opt to try it out, don’t modify it unless you’re sure that you want to keep it.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:51 PM

Arrow

I just got another Fishman Neo D humbucker in the mail today and had no trouble mounting it on my rosewood/spruce Samick medium jumbo without removing or slacking the strings. However, my guitar probably has a larger soundhole. YMMV.

FWIW, the Neo D is easier to dial in than the Lace California.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

The DiMarzio Black Angel or Angel would be a great choice. It comes
with both an external cable and an endpin cable. They connect
via a mini-jack which gives you more options for when/how you connect
and transport. For example you can install the pickup in your home and just
attach the cable when you get to your gig.

The SD Woody SA-3XL and GMF SH-1 install via foam rather than screw in.
And the sound is pretty good, also.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:31 AM

As far as I know, they all go in without loosening strings. It's one of their advantages.

The sound one person likes isn't the sound another likes, so I can't tell which is right for you. YouTube has hundreds of demos, so I'd go there.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:04 AM

Y'all have given some great suggestions. I have an Amumu sp60 installed in my Blueridge parlor guitar. It works great for what I am using it for while plugged in as part of a dual-source setup. It's just that it noticeably dampens the sound of my guitar and reduces sustain when I am not plugged in. Keep in mind, I chose this pickup because it has a slightly smaller footprint than some of the other popular options. It just barely fits the smallish sound hole of this guitar. It is necessary to take the strings off to install or to remove it. I was thinking to use this pickup in one of my other guitars with a standard size sound hole. It installs easier in my other steel string guitars without having to loosen the strings. Since I already soldered a 3.5mm jack to the cord, I would be able to remove it when not in use with my other guitars. I was thinking to purchase another pickup for the parlor guitar. I would like to have a pickup that either installs easily in the smaller sound hole without having to loosen the strings, or one that doesn't clamp to the sound board and dampens the vibrations of the top. Also, since I am using it primarily to add in bass frequencies in the blend, I would prefer a pickup with adjustable poles which would allow me to dial in the balance of the strings. Which ever pickup I get, I will solder a mini jack pigtail to it for easy removal. For all these reasons, I am leaning towards a Bill Lawrence A-345C sound hole pickup. Though I have no experience with one. It appears that this can be easily removed from a small sound hole when not in use, and it has adjustable pole pieces.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification