The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-13-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Default What do our recording sessions/projects look like

Because this come up in some other threads I thought perhaps there should be a dedicated thread Where we can show and discuss our actual recording sessions/projects and why . This is where we can discuss all our personal work flows etc.

The ability to take a screen shot and post it will definitely help , But for any not able to do that a simple listing may work as well

Ok so here is one of my typical sessions (Pro Tools lingo for musical project) and these are mixer views the edit view is actually on my other display I will take a photo of that and post it later

With all but one folder track collapsed

With all Folder tracks expanded

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-13-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Mine's real real simple. I use a Spire Studio, just use the built in mic and go direct from the amp's headphone out for electric guitar. Here's the entire recording "studio". The phone usually goes on the little mount to the right of the iPad when I'm recording, but when I'm using it to photograph the studio, not so much:

IMG_1900 by Ray, on Flickr

Here's the recording screen, with the four tracks that went into the recording I was doing this morning:

IMG_1898 by Ray, on Flickr

And the mixing screen:

IMG_1899 by Ray, on Flickr

And here's the result. It was about a 45 minute project, quick and dirty. I do this for fun - no particular end user in mind. This is the kind of stuff I like to play and I like to record because I like to play rhythm, sing (if you can call it that), and play lead. As a one man band, this is the way to do that. Here's the result:

-Ray
Old 05-13-2021, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Mine's real real simple. I use a Spire Studio, just use the built in mic and go direct from the amp's headphone out for electric guitar. Here's the entire recording "studio". The phone usually goes on the little mount to the right of the iPad when I'm recording, but when I'm using it to photograph the studio, not so much:

IMG_1900 by Ray, on Flickr

Here's the recording screen, with the four tracks that went into the recording I was doing this morning:

And the mixing screen:

And here's the result. It was about a 45 minute project, quick and dirty. I do this for fun - no particular end user in mind. This is the kind of stuff I like to play and I like to record because I like to play rhythm, sing (if you can call it that), and play lead. As a one man band, this is the way to do that. Here's the result:

-Ray
Interesting so these screens are on your phones display ?
And it looks like the first one is your edit window ? And do the three little dots on the right open to edit features ? Things like trim start finish and can you select a portion of the wave form and duplicate it etc. in the edit window ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-13-2021, 04:58 PM
Eric Skye

Screen shot of a video I did a few days ago for a social media post

Last edited by min7b5; 05-14-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
A video I did a few days ago for a social media post
Nothing shows up for me...
Old 05-13-2021, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Logic Example

Here's a simple one, solo guitar, tho I recorded with 3 stereo pairs. I only used two (Brauner VM1s and an AEA R88 ribbon), so one is grayed out. Auto-align plugins on each. There's a Soothe2 plugin on the Brauner track. Bus 1 is reverb, which I'm only feeding from the Brauner track. The reverb bus has some EQ (low end rolloff) then goes to the Bricasti hardware reverb. The master bus has an SPL Vitalizer on it (stereo widener), an Amphex tape simulator, Ozone, with some EQ (Brickwall highpass as 54Hz, .5db bass boost), and the DMGAudio Limitless multi-band limiter. That's it...

Here's the channels:

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.16.54 PM.jpg

and here's the whole screen with tracks and some of the plugins

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.16.47 PM.jpg
Old 05-13-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting so these screens are on your phones display ?
And it looks like the first one is your edit window ? And do the three little dots on the right open to edit features ? Things like trim start finish and can you select a portion of the wave form and duplicate it etc. in the edit window ?
Yeah, that’s the edit window and, yeah, it does show up on the phone (or tablet), where the app resides and connects wirelessly to the recorder. The little dots lead to more features, but not much - I think to mute the track and maybe delete it. You can trim each track as you want, but there’s no copy or paste. There’s a punch in feature, but no punch out. In the mix screen, you set a track’s volume and pan location, but you set them once for the whole track - it’s not something you can adjust dynamically as the track plays. That’s why I show two lead guitar tracks - one for the parts that stand out during lead breaks, and one lower and more discrete for playing fills during the verses.

It’s basically off the charts for ease of use, but the tradeoff is it’s not powerful at all. For what I do, it’s perfect, but for the sorts of pro-sounding results you’re going for (judging from your SoundCloud stuff), it’s probably quite limited. You could use it to work up demos pretty easily, but not much more. Since demos are basically all I do, it’s a great all in one solution for me...

-Ray
Old 05-13-2021, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Default More Complex Logic Example

Here's another Logic example, this time with multiple guitars (5 I think), 3 flute/recorders, and a cello. Logic has a neat feature called "Track Stacks", where you combine a group of tracks into a "stack", which is basically just a UI presentation for routing to a bus. So it's a submix. So, when expanded, I have a bunch of tracks, and I can mix them, add effects, etc, but I also have the "stack" that can also have effects applied. Heres most of the tracks, you may be able to see the "Guitars" and "Flutes" submix busses. Also note the automation on each track (volume shown, but there are others)

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.27.58 PM.jpg

I can also collapse each stack to clean up the screen. So these are the submix busses. There's also automation on some of these, which apply to the entire submix:

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.31.09 PM.jpg

And here's the mixer view. You can see the individual tracks, but also the Flutes, Guitars, and Cello Stacks/busses toward the right.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.29.32 PM.jpg

I used two reverbs for this, placed on more busses. Melodyne on the flutes and cello for some pitch correction. I used the Townsend L22 on several of the guitar tracks, so there's the Townsend plugin on those tracks. Similar master buss to my solo guitar example. Other than having more tracks, the "stacks" and some automation, not all that different from the solo guitar example, tho.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:04 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Nothing shows up for me...
Hmm. I can see it on several of my devices. Are you singed in to AGF?
Old 05-13-2021, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Mine's pretty simple. I use two mics into a Zoom H5.

Before I put a track into Reaper I will clean up noise, trim the ends and add a fade out in Rx 7 Standard.

And here's my Reaper set up. One stereo track, a reverb bus and and the master.

On the track I have Rx7 de-hum, F6-RTA low and hi pass and Ozone 8 doing a subtle tweak to the mids. On the reverb bus I have another low and high pass and CSR "Dark Piano Hall" reverb. On the master a touch of limiter and a tweak to the stereo width.

I have a couple of project templets saved and the one above I have been using lately. I record in the same room, with the same mics at the same distance more or less so the only thing that changes is the guitar. If I'm recording with a bass heavy guitar I'll move the bass side mic away a touch.

Here's the tune in the Reaper project:

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmm. I can see it on several of my devices. Are you singed in to AGF?
I am and also don't see it. The link is fine if I go to it directly:

http://ericskye.com/wp-content/uploa...PM-scaled.jpeg

Seems somehow not to work with AGF's image feature
Old 05-14-2021, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A video I did a few days ago for a social media post
Like Rudy4 and Doug I don't see anything but a little icon so is this a video or an image ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-14-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Here's a simple one, solo guitar, tho I recorded with 3 stereo pairs. I only used two (Brauner VM1s and an AEA R88 ribbon), so one is grayed out. Auto-align plugins on each. There's a Soothe2 plugin on the Brauner track. Bus 1 is reverb, which I'm only feeding from the Brauner track. The reverb bus has some EQ (low end rolloff) then goes to the Bricasti hardware reverb. The master bus has an SPL Vitalizer on it (stereo widener), an Amphex tape simulator, Ozone, with some EQ (Brickwall highpass as 54Hz, .5db bass boost), and the DMGAudio Limitless multi-band limiter. That's it...

Here's the channels:

Attachment 56499
Couple quick questions :: What are Auto-align plugins ? And then can I assume you are using stereo audio tracks for the guitars ? I ask because one of the things I really like about PT is on stereo tracks it automatically shows two panner Knobs. Which IMO may be the easiest to pan to any position and range of stereo output.

I do basically the same thing with reverb send to my outboard Bricasti

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-14-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:17 AM

Here's a link to my latest Reaper Project. A screen shot (3840x1600) and a rough MP3 mix.

I played the guitar and bass parts. I composed the MIDI parts in the Reaper MIDI editor for VST plugins.

I hope the link works.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...X_?usp=sharing
Old 05-14-2021, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 View Post
Here's a link to my latest Reaper Project. A screen shot (3840x1600) and a rough MP3 mix.

I played the guitar and bass parts. I composed the MIDI parts in the Reaper MIDI editor for VST plugins.

I hope the link works.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...X_?usp=sharing
Terry, I opened your link, clicked on and expanded it , then posted it to my Imgur and then opened it here hope thats OK ?
So I did not realise Reaper now offers full track coloration very nice !! I guess it has come a ways since I tried in version 4.
Curious though did you mean to leave the click playing in your audio sample ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD