The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-22-2021, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Aaron Short (AeroUSA here) talked briefly about this topic in his YouTube livestream today. Apparently Thursday is Gear Day on his livesteam and it sounds like he'll focus a bit on it.

I'm using SongBook Pro and while I'm happy with it overall, it's done some weird things on occasion. The main one is reverting to the original key when I've tried to alter some chords and spacing on one of the songs I imported from UltimateGuitar, which hadn't happend before. Other than that I could quibble but it really helped fill out my gig last weekend with quality adds.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
The issue I have with Ipads is unless you invest in the expensive pro with the 12.9 screen, you are stuck with a screen size of 8x6 for a 10 inch screen. The Ipad pro with a 12.9" screen can just about fit a single sheet of paper life size if you cut off the .5" margins. You can't buy a used one for for under $400 and that is one released in 2014.
Which is exactly what I did.l Works fine. I had my music formatted long ago then spent all last summer putting it in ForScore, just the way I wanted it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:32 PM

I just got a cheap bluetooth page turner online and a Fire tablet along with a tablet holder that clips on to my mic stand. Seems to work well and was affordable. Testing an app called mobilesheets that seems to do the trick.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

iPad pro isn’t cheap, but if you use it for everything ( email, web, TV, camera, recorder, etc, etc, ) it is a very worthwhile tool. It’s basically the only computer I use, and has been for over 10 years. Mine is now almost 3 years old, and I’ll definitely be upgrading - when the next one comes along, maybe with iPad OS 15 - ;-)
Old 08-29-2021, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

I dont know, maybe Im just getting old, but Ive enthusiastically tried several formats of digital sheets, but in the end, I simply prefer the size and format of old-fashioned paper in slip protectors. I have a few hundred songs, but I pick 10-20 and put them in a 1” binder that fits nicely in my case pocket.

Not trying to be anti-digital, but just find paper easier, more reliable, and comfortable for now. (And yes, I still print my boarding passes, and use them as bookmarks while travelling). Perhaps my biggest obstacle is that my preferred tablet is an iPad-mini, which is too small for sheet music and these eyes.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 08-29-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Am I the only one?

My advise is. Learn the songs.
How many songs do you play?
I have more than 300 songs in Songbook Pro. I play those in my band, with a guitar playing partner and alone. For me that’s too many to remember.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-29-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I dont know, maybe Im just getting old, but Ive enthusiastically tried several formats of digital sheets, but in the end, I simply prefer the size and format of old-fashioned paper in slip protectors. I have a few hundred songs, but I pick 10-20 and put them in a 1” binder that fits nicely in my case pocket.

Not trying to be anti-digital, but just find paper easier, more reliable, and comfortable for now. (And yes, I still print my boarding passes, and use them as bookmarks while travelling). Perhaps my biggest obstacle is that my preferred tablet is an iPad-mini, which is too small for sheet music and these eyes.
I used paper in slip protectors for many many years. Switched to OnSong later and a few month ago to Songbook Pro. Three band members use paper and three have apps. I’m not trying to convince anyone but we app-users are much better organized and quicker. And our iPads don’t fall of stands like the big binders. I want to add, that our setlist is much longer than 10-20 songs. For that amount paper makes sense.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-29-2021, 02:13 PM

When not memorizing everything, iPad Pro/Finale Pro in a holder on a stand, Cicada Page Flip (bluetoothand has a forward and back pedal). iPad is more than bright enough on sunny days.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 08-30-2021, 12:29 AM

I googled laptops after reading this tread. A big pad is expensive. I could get a 14" lenovo chromebook för 2-300.

Would be great if you could use one of those.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
I googled laptops after reading this tread. A big pad is expensive. I could get a 14" lenovo chromebook för 2-300.

But most chromebooks have a screen aspect ratio that is not great for displaying music. It is just too skinny when turn sideways. The Ipad Pro is expensive but has the nice big screen with a good aspect ratio. My Acer Spin 713 was one of the few chromebooks with a good 3:2 aspect ratio. I rather have an Ipad Pro but for 1/3 the price, I settled for the Spin 713. I already have a 9" Ipad, but I wanted larger size as the music was too hard to read.

Of course this all changes now that I just had cataract surgery and vision is very much improved.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 08-30-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
But most chromebooks have a screen aspect ratio that is not great for displaying music. It is just too skinny when turn sideways. The Ipad Pro is expensive but has the nice big screen with a good aspect ratio. My Acer Spin 713 was one of the few chromebooks with a good 3:2 aspect ratio. I rather have an Ipad Pro but for 1/3 the price, I settled for the Spin 713. I already have a 9" Ipad, but I wanted larger size as the music was too hard to read.

Of course this all changes now that I just had cataract surgery and vision is very much improved.
I'm just thinking out loud, Brainstorming for more (econimical) solutions.
It could also be possible to have a standard screen and connect a mobile or a rasbarry pi to such a screen.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post

You can get a binder, a ream of 3 hole paper, and a box of crayons for under $25 - that’ll work too!
Old 08-30-2021, 05:42 PM

Do any of the tablet manufacturers not use Uygher labor?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 08-30-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
I used paper in slip protectors for many many years. Switched to OnSong later and a few month ago to Songbook Pro. Three band members use paper and three have apps. I’m not trying to convince anyone but we app-users are much better organized and quicker. And our iPads don’t fall of stands like the big binders. I want to add, that our setlist is much longer than 10-20 songs. For that amount paper makes sense.
Couldnt agree more, and thats why I keep trying. We tease one guy in our coffee-house group relentlessly for his disorganization. We all sing a song (or two) while he flips through multiple, thick, binders.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification