The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-07-2021, 09:35 AM

Default Multi-effects IR Pedals

Has anyone compared the Nux MG30, Headrush MX5, Zoom G6, and Line6 Pod Go for acoustic guitar?

I really like the Zoom A14 sounds, but would like a version with more dsp, better switches, and better overall construction. Honestly, if the G6 could access those A14 effects (like their version of the Tonebone EQ), I’d buy it without hesitation. I don’t see anything stating that is possible though. The overall design and amount of switches on the G6 appeal to me.

I’m less concerned about it not being built like a tank. As it stands though, the eq list (at least) appears limited on the G6.

The Nux advertises 2 acoustic amps and 3 IRs built in, but it seems to be geared towards making an electric sound more acoustic, as opposed to a dedicated acoustic guitar.

I don’t need the most of any of it, and it will be primarily used for acoustic (though having one pedal for both acoustic and electric would be great). I had a hard time finding details from anyone online directly comparing these for acoustic guitar use and how well the effects themselves translated to acoustic guitar (especially the EQ options).

Figured I’d get see about getting some opinions here while considering options.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2021, 10:29 AM

I really love my Line6 HX Stomp, but you have to load in pre-made IRs. I auditioned a bunch of them, then just kept the acoustic one I liked the most.

What the Stomp has going for it is that I can do two completely separate processing chains, which I use for the electric and acoustic outs from my Godin Multiac Steel hybrid guitar. In my case, that was the deciding factor.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:52 AM

All of these pedals advertise IR loading as a feature, which is what drew me to them. Every time I think Helix, I just can’t get past wanting the LT and feel like I’d be left wanting with the stomp. That being said, if I see a used one for around 400 I’ll probably grab it. Used to see them at 4-450 fairly regularly before all this supply chain madness.

Honestly, I’ve got a dpa 4061 I need to solder into my K&K jack, and I’m also keeping an eye out for a DTAR Solstice. The only one I’ve seen for sale recently is $419 which I haven’t been willing to pay.

I’m trying to manage the budget to explore and see if I wind up preferring the dual source or IR path.

If Helix provided 9v phantom to a second input it would make this much easier.

As it stands, I was hoping for a cheaper path to test the waters than the 600 for a new stomp, so figured I’d ask. As much love as IRs get around here, I figured there’s maybe some other budget minded curious folks who have done some testing.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
What the Stomp has going for it is that I can do two completely separate processing chains, which I use for the electric and acoustic outs from my Godin Multiac Steel hybrid guitar. In my case, that was the deciding factor.

Just fyi, came across this on the MX5 on another forum:

The MX5 lets you choose between the guitar input jack or the effects return jack as the input for the unit, and it allows you to program which input to use as a part of the preset. So, all I have to do now is switch patches on the MX5 to switch instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification