The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-07-2021, 12:29 AM

Default Pickup for Martin Modern deluxe acoustic

Hello,

I am looking for guidance from other Martin Modern deluxe owners who have installed pickups in their guitars. I have the 000-28 MD and not sure which way to go? Due to the carbon fiber/Adi bridge plate I want to take that into consideration. In my research I have heard many different opinions but they could have come from players who don’t own a Modern Deluxe.
I really like the Anthem pickups and have used K & K as my favorites in my other Martin acoustics. However the MD’s are a little different because of the bridge plate, liquid metal pins, etc.
Seems like K & K mini’s do not sound that good from what I have read. Can anyone please chime in if they have had a similar experience? I will be having a authorized Martin repair shop doing the install for me. No way I’m doing the install. TIA. 🤔

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 12-07-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Does it have to be permanently installed?

I use a LR Baggs M80 on my D18 MD and 000-28 re-imagined. I use the long lead, sold separately, and drape it out the soundhole. I play sitting down so not worried about displacement while playing but it feels secure enough to use standing up if you're not gyrating wildly.

I had a lovely D17M that I always regretted getting a permanent installation done on. Sounded lovely but the guitar really felt different when I picked it up. Notably heavier (those D17Ms were amazingly light, like they would float away).

People say the M80 won't fit in a 000-28 but I assure you it does. Little more fiddly to get it in, compared to the dread, but fit it does, and produces a beautiful acoustic tone.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:11 AM

Yes, I am looking to have a permanent install done by an authorized Martin repair shop. I’m leaning towards a full Anthem install but would love other MD owners in a similar situation to sound in.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:25 AM

I owned the Martin MD D-18 for a while. I had the k&k pure mini installed in it. I not sure what you have heard about the k&k not sounding good in the modern series but it sounded just fine in mine. I have the k&k pure mini in all my Eastmans too, and it makes them sound good too. Just a little curious where you heard that the k&k wouldnt sound as good in the modern series. Maybe the smaller body of the 000-28 has some effect on it. It sure sounded great in my D-18. I owned the Martin 000-17 for a while also and I had the L.R. Baggs Anthem SL installed in it. It sounded good, but to be honest I think my k&k minis in my Eastmans sounded better. Maybe thats just me. Someone else might prefer the Anthem. I also have the k&k pure mini pre amp that I run my guitars thru. I imagine you have a pre amp too. It does make a difference.

Last edited by baw3; 12-07-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

My OM-28 has the Aura VT system in it.

I have three acoustics with different versions of Aura in them.

If you want quality live tone. You can't beat it.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
My OM-28 has the Aura VT system in it.

I have three acoustics with different versions of Aura in them.

If you want quality live tone. You can't beat it.
The only problem with the Aura system is that if there's not a factory-loaded image of your specific guitar, it won't sound nearly as good. I've learned this through much trial and error, because I love the Aura system in my DC16 so much that I bought an Aura DI to try and get the same great sound out of my other acoustics.

For adding a pickup to a guitar that doesn't have a factory Aura system, I consider the Anthem the next best thing. Sounds just as good as long as you can blend in the right amount of mic. (In my case I'm able to go 100% mic with no feedback, YMMV.)
Seagull Artist Concert Hall
Alvarez MSD1
Old 12-07-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I have liked the Seymore Duncan Wavelength Duo.
I don’t have a carbon bridge plate or metal pins, but have used it on three different guitars and all sounded really good. I won’t buy a pickup that can’t be removed, which eliminates the K&K or anything else that super glues sensors under the bridge.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:42 PM

I have a K&K Pure Mini in my D-18 MD, and I think it sounds great (I also have one in my Waterloo WL-S). The advantages are:
  • Cheap - $100 for the pickup brand new
  • Relatively easy to install, or cheap to have installed by an authorized servicer (which you should do if your guitar is under warranty, as self-install will void the Martin warranty) - right around another $100
  • Little to no impact on your acoustic tone, largely because the system is so lightweight and nothing goes between the saddle and the guitar
  • Doesn’t seem to impact resale value of the guitar, though you also aren’t going to recoup your investment

I can see the concern about how it will play with the carbon fiber bridge plate, but my dealer recommended the K&K for this guitar unprompted, didn’t express any concerns with installation, and got the job done just fine. And again, it sounds great, though it does need some kind of preamp to really match the acoustic tone (in any guitar - not just an MD).
Old 12-07-2021, 05:51 PM

Well, I just ordered the Anthem as I really like them in the other acoustics I have had in the past. I just wanted to see what other MD owners may have tried. I don’t think you can go wrong with an Anthem in your Martin. Thanks all who responded!

Kyle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification