The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2021, 10:50 AM

Default Use of Hi-fi powered speakers as amp

Hi folks,

First time posting here. I have an interest in buying a looper, just for fun, not performing. I just want to be able to play lead over my own rhythm. One of my acoustics has a pickup, but I do not have an acoustic amp. I also have small home with limited space, so whatever the solution, I would prefer it be small to micro in size.

I have a really nice pair of powered speakers in my office; Klipsch "Fives", which are wired via USB to my computer. These are powered hi-fi speakers and sound really, really nice. I have no desire to damage them.

I understand that an acoustic can run through a PA system or a powered monitor as opposed to a typical acoustic amp. So, my question is as follows; is there an inexpensive way to run my acoustic through a looper and then into the Klipsch speakers while maintaining good sound quality? Perhaps through the 3.5mm jack? If there is any possibility of damaging the speakers, I would pass on the idea all together and get a small inexpensive acoustic amp.

Thanks for any feedback (the good kind).

Burns
Old 11-27-2021, 11:28 AM

I would not do it. Not the right tool for the job.
That said, the Fives have enough inputs that with the right adapters you might be able to hear something.
But even if it worked it might not be the sound you want.
And you would have to be careful not to over drive them. Too nice to blow up.

Better to get a small dedicated acoustic amp like a Yamaha THR30 II A.
Or if that is too spendy, a Fishman Mini. And an excuse for new gear!

My thoughts only. Cheers, _Roger
Old 11-27-2021, 12:01 PM

Got it - thank you Roger.

In that case I'm thinking of a loudbox mini or EAE A1-4. If anyone has comparison points please let me know. I was looking at that Yamaha too, but if I'm going to have to buy an amp I'm thinking maybe I should just buy a "real" amp? That way if I ever end up playing in church, for example, it might prove useful.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:12 PM

I routinely use my Klipsch Groove II as an electric guitar amp combined with my Mustang Micro Headphone Amp. It sounds great, loud enough for jamming with acoustic guitars with margin, and what I take on vacation with my Traveler.

The AUX input into a the Groove is consumer line level and without the headphone amp it would not work at all.

The Fives have a similar 3.5mm Stereo AUX input with line and phono levels. It might just work using one of your pedals to increase volume and provide impedance matching. I'm certain you can not hurt anything if you don't play too loud or with distortion.

A Hosa CMP-110 will take your mono 1/4" TS guitar pedal and drive both the left and right input of the 3.5mm AUX input.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-27-2021, 02:32 PM

I would trust Jon’s input.
Especially since he has already tried it!

BTW, the Loudbox Mini is a “real” amp, but there are many others, of course.
Cheers, _RP
Old 11-27-2021, 03:31 PM

You go with an iRigHD2
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighd2/

and Amplitube Acoustic on a phone or iPad. Amps, effects, looper, etc.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/acousticios/

Or use Garageband or equivalent on a pc.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:22 PM

A small mixer would work. That's what I did when first getting started. I plumbed a small Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer into my Yamaha home theater surround sound system. No problems at all. The mixer matches all the impedance levels, etc.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
You go with an iRigHD2
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighd2/

and Amplitube Acoustic on a phone or iPad. Amps, effects, looper, etc.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/acousticios/

Or use Garageband or equivalent on a pc.
This is really interesting. I'm going to have to study up on it.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns View Post
This is really interesting. I'm going to have to study up on it.
I was in a position similar to yours and wanted a "cheap but effective" setup to mess around with an electric. I then decided to get the iPhone app for acoustic.

Are you a Mac or a PC for computer? Mac or iPad/iPhone with Garageband and your golden. All you need is the iRig. No need even for the IKMedia Acoustic app unless you want it.

I've had the iRigHD2 for a couple years. I have a 70's vintage Luxman L80V HiFi amp ( I bought new) powering a couple Sony bookshelf speakers. Aux out from the iRig to RCA in on the amp. Computer recognizes the iRig to set sound out. I'm sure the amp and speakers probably color the tone but I've also got a EQ on the amp/speakers so I deal with it. But I'm about ready to get a powered speaker(s). You could go aux out from the iRig to aux in on your speaks it looks like.

I use my Martin GPC-35e, Mac with Garageband setup at home to mess around, record, rehearse,etc. When playing live at church I use a Baggs PADI or now a Venue. I could actually put the iRig/iPhone in the chain and be able to use the compressor, reverb, etc. from the app. Haven't done that. I'll probably end up with a Baggs Align Session at some point.

Have fun whatever you do!

Last edited by Snyd; 11-27-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I recommend the Spark. Great amp, nice features, small size and price
Old 12-07-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns View Post
Hi folks,

First time posting here. I have an interest in buying a looper, just for fun, not performing. I just want to be able to play lead over my own rhythm. One of my acoustics has a pickup, but I do not have an acoustic amp. I also have small home with limited space, so whatever the solution, I would prefer it be small to micro in size.

I have a really nice pair of powered speakers in my office; Klipsch "Fives", which are wired via USB to my computer. These are powered hi-fi speakers and sound really, really nice. I have no desire to damage them.

I understand that an acoustic can run through a PA system or a powered monitor as opposed to a typical acoustic amp. So, my question is as follows; is there an inexpensive way to run my acoustic through a looper and then into the Klipsch speakers while maintaining good sound quality? Perhaps through the 3.5mm jack? If there is any possibility of damaging the speakers, I would pass on the idea all together and get a small inexpensive acoustic amp.

Thanks for any feedback (the good kind).

Burns
For the reasons people below listed, it isn't a great idea. If you do it anyway, consider using a compressor to limit the dynamics which will help with protecting the speakers.

Brian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification