The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Elite Acoustics Engineering (EAE) D6-58 gets real-world test runs

We're finally getting a chance to use our new EAE D6-58 amp that we bought a few months back at live shows. It's Christmas season and we do free shows at local assisted living facilities during the month of December. It's a great way to give back and also allows us to check out new places that inevitably lead to gigs throughout the year. We LOVE doing these shows. They are all of an hour long and you're playing to an attentive and appreciative audience. At least until they nod off! But seriously, these sweet people just love these shows.

We played a show last Friday, day after Thanksgiving, at a place we've played before and that went well even though there were only a few people there as many had gone away with family for the holiday. Today we played a brand new place that was both a new facility and also quite large compared to many if not most of the ALF's we play. There were probably 30-40 people there in a large room that serves as their cafeteria. It was our best show to date and a big part of that was the performance of the EAE D6-58.

Among the many reasons we purchased this amp is because of the built-in 6 channel digital mixer. We were already very familiar with it as we previously were using the EAE StompMix X6. EAE basically took the X6 and stuffed it into a 120w amplifier with 4 speakers with a small but beautiful wood cabinet that weighs in at 30lbs. We throw it up on a pole and we got the best sound we've ever had at any show. The controls on the top are conveniently accessed from the side when up on the pole.

We had it running pretty loud (per their request) and it performed flawlessly with two mics and my guitar. I used the wireless gear on my guitar and her mic which also worked great. I only had the amp volume up about 35% so there is all kinds of headroom left. I can't wait for the day I can take this to an outdoors gig and really crank it up. Anyway, I know not a ton of people have this amp - yet. Lkingston was the first adopter and it took awhile for me to jump onboard. It's not an inexpensive amp at $1,299 new, and that opens up a lot of choices.

But in my opinion and experience, there's not much out there that has this number of inputs and tone shaping, plus output power, plus small and (relatively) lightweight, and good looking to boot. Oh, and did I mention it runs on battery? Yep, it does. I'll post a few photos of all the gear packed up to head to today's gig and then another of the setup.

Last edited by Methos1979; 12-04-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Everything packed up and easy to move in one trip for two people and then a shot if the setup taken right after we finished.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Excellent field report!

What's the dispersion on that thing?

I was standing almost completely horizontal to a Bose L1 Compact (I have one) last night listening to a local solo favorite, and the tiny difference between listening in front versus my position was astonishing even though I've heard it before. I also finally have a Bose S1, and a Bugera AC60. I prefer the Bugera's tone (and emphatically for keyboards) over that of the S1, but man is that beamy once you've spent time around Bose sticks. Even though not a stick, the S1's dispersion is admirable and in that respect puts the Bugera to shame.

Lord knows I don't need any more gear--my L1 M2 can handle anything on the large side I would conceivably do on my own--but you know how that goes.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Excellent field report!

What's the dispersion on that thing?

I was standing almost completely horizontal to a Bose L1 Compact (I have one) last night listening to a local solo favorite, and the tiny difference between listening in front versus my position was astonishing even though I've heard it before. I also finally have a Bose S1, and a Bugera AC60. I prefer the Bugera's tone (and emphatically for keyboards) over that of the S1, but man is that beamy once you've spent time around Bose sticks. Even though not a stick, the S1's dispersion is admirable and in that respect puts the Bugera to shame.

Lord knows I don't need any more gear--my L1 M2 can handle anything on the large side I would conceivably do on my own--but you know how that goes.
The dispersion is on par with other non-array type speakers. In other words, not great. There is significant drop off compared to being right in front. Like you, I'm amazed whenever I'm out and hear someone playing the Bose array systems. They just can't be beat. Even the little, formidable S1 does a much better job. Which is why I plan to keep both my Bose S1's for those occasions when I need more dispersion and/or power. Running the D6-58 as a primary speaker feeding two Bose S1 Pro's on a single dual-mount speaker stand pointing out at angles is a system very close or equal to a Bose array system.

The place where the D6-58 shines is with it's incredibly great sound for guitar and vocals and the much greater quantity of inputs and tone shaping, all in a one-and-done package. While the Bose array systems are great, you are still in effect hauling multiple pieces and have very limited inputs and EQ/tone shaping unless of course you add their T1 (4 or 8) in front of it.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks as always for your great reviews. I also wanted to add my support to the wonders of Assisted Living facility gigs. Such an appreciative audience, one hour gigs and staff that is typically very competent and equally appreciative. As I've posted on the AGF elsewhere, my favorite gig story is an 80+ year old resident yelling 'Freebird" between songs at one of our Assisted Living gigs a couple years ago. I'm really good at handling crowds, but his one was so hilarious I couldn't continue for some time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification