The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-15-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Excellent, Glenn...another of my favorites. And the harmonies by your brothers () were right on. Thanks for that.

Last edited by zeeway; 06-15-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Love playing this song and love hearing your version! Great work Glenn!
Old 06-15-2020, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Excellent, Glenn...another of my favorites. And the harmonies by your brothers () was right on. Thanks for that.
Thank you Angie!

I am so glad you approve! I worried about how dumb this might look -- 3 of me up there, me and my two other identical triplets -- so I'm glad you think it works okay! Thanks so much for watching and taking the time to comment! It's very much appreciated!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
Love playing this song and love hearing your version! Great work Glenn!
Thank you Bear!

That's cool that you routinely play this! It sure is a great Travis picking song!

And I'm very gratified to learn that you like the way my video version came out! Thanks so much for watching and taking the time to comment here!

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2020, 11:55 AM

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the very warm reply! You are such a kind, considerate, and thoughtful person. With a remarkably nuanced and profound sense of humor!

Yes, CS&N really created a distinctive sound with their harmonies. I forgot to mention your mix was nice as well.

One of the things I like about your video is just how polished it is, in all aspects. I think in general people underestimate how much work it is to do something like this, and just assume it's pretty easy. Because there is no remnants of all the work. All there is is the successful takes put together. So they might think, "Wow, I could never do that, it would take ages." Well, yes it does, especially if it's not something you do all the time. And even then, so many little issues crop up.

Feel free to add some outtakes to the end of your next video, like you throwing a fit in the studio after a botched take. "Ahhhhhhh! I cannot do it!!!!"

Anyway, all is well here in Nova Scotia. I wish you the best.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the very warm reply! You are such a kind, considerate, and thoughtful person. With a remarkably nuanced and profound sense of humor!

Yes, CS&N really created a distinctive sound with their harmonies. I forgot to mention your mix was nice as well.

One of the things I like about your video is just how polished it is, in all aspects. I think in general people underestimate how much work it is to do something like this, and just assume it's pretty easy. Because there is no remnants of all the work. All there is is the successful takes put together. So they might think, "Wow, I could never do that, it would take ages." Well, yes it does, especially if it's not something you do all the time. And even then, so many little issues crop up.

Feel free to add some outtakes to the end of your next video, like you throwing a fit in the studio after a botched take. "Ahhhhhhh! I cannot do it!!!!"

Anyway, all is well here in Nova Scotia. I wish you the best.
Hi MC1,

Well, I had to laugh once more! I don't think I could use any of my out-takes. Many would not meet the language requirements for the AGF! I have often thought, it's a good thing I do not keep any of these unacceptable out-take videos! They would not be good for posterity!

I am very glad you and your family are well over there in Nova Scotia! I don't know if I ever told you that I spent some time on a work related matter over in Nova Scotia quite a few years ago. It was quite a trip!

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I don't know if I ever told you that I spent some time on a work related matter over in Nova Scotia quite a few years ago. It was quite a trip!

- Glenn

It's still on the local nightly news, Glenn.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
It's still on the local nightly news, Glenn.
Yeah, I bet...
Old 06-15-2020, 01:51 PM

Another good cover Glenn, and a fun video of your backing band. This is another song that I perform on my sets
Old 06-15-2020, 02:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
<snip>About the only place I have ever heard such high male harmony is in barbershop quartet stuff, and I never could get into that sound. But Graham Nash and David Crosby did a great job on the harmony parts for this.<snip>
Albeit a different harmonized sound, Randy Meisner and later Timothy B. Schmit of the Eagles gave the band that important high harmony. It’d be cool to see/hear you doing an Eagles song with full harmony, Glenn!
Old 06-15-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Another good cover Glenn, and a fun video of your backing band. This is another song that I perform on my sets
Hi Daniel!

I'm glad you had time to watch this! Thanks for your comments!

That's cool that you perform this song!

I hope all is well for you and that you are able to get back to performing in public so you can make a living.

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2020, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Albeit a different harmonized sound, Randy Meisner and later Timothy B. Schmit of the Eagles gave the band that important high harmony. It’d be cool to see/hear you doing an Eagles song with full harmony, Glenn!
Hi Tom,

I would love to do an Eagles song, though I could never sound like Timothy B Schmit or Randy Meisner. But I would love to give it a try.

However, when I put up my solo version of "Desperado" the Eagles' publishing company blocked my video in North America. I interpreted this as their policy on how to protect their IP rights. Most IP owners use a different approach on YouTube and simply attach an ad to the video, get some proceeds for their work and move on. But the Eagles' publishing company takes a different approach.

Based on that experience, I am not inclined to put all the work into recording and producing a video that could well be blocked again. So, I took every Eagles' song I have loved over the years and removed them from my list of potential songs to do.

But.... thanks for the suggestion, Tom! It's a good suggestion. I have always loved the Eagles' harmony!

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2020, 02:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Ahhh, there is that. Too bad. I’m sure you’d slay full harmony Eagles tunes...just wear tighter underwear for the Meisner/Schmit parts when recording.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Ahhh, there is that. Too bad. I’m sure you’d slay full harmony Eagles tunes...just wear tighter underwear for the Meisner/Schmit parts when recording.
I will remember that, Tom!

- Glenn
Old 06-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
Really really nice!
Hi Huskyman!

Thanks so much for your comments! I had missed your comments a few days ago and wanted to acknowledge your kind thoughts now!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell