The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Default Introduction and Invitation

Dear Friends,

I played classical guitar thirty years ago, when I was in my twenties, and picked up an acoustic guitar a little less than two months ago. Interested primarily in fingerstyle blues, I am trying to teach myself, using various books and online resources. When I learn something new, I often try to write a little 12-bar blues to put the new concept into practice and have written ten pieces to date. I would like to invite anyone who might be interested to listen to recordings of them and to take a look at the tab, both of which can be found on the acoustic guitar page of my website: http://www.verseandsong.com/song/acoustic-guitar/ (please feel free to click around and see what else is there also). For ease of listening, there is a playlist at the bottom of the page, where you can listen to all my guitar recordings consecutively, which include a number of pieces by other people as well. I shall also be posting some things on the Play and Tell page.

Best regards to all,

Stephen Arndt
Old 11-11-2012, 04:30 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I've only listened to a few of your clips so far, but they are all very nice. Very nice sounding recordings. I'm particularly intrigued by the lute recordings - I've been fascinated by lutes for a long time.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 PM

Listening to more....you have quite a repertoire.... and lots of nice recordings. I'm impressed!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Those are some very nice recordings. Did you make them all in just two months? Did you play a lot of classical music back in the day or are you a musical genius?!? Thank you for sharing your recordings!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Thank you, wcap. I am listening to your "Star of the County Down" arrangement. That's a song that I have always loved, and your version is very enjoyable. If you like Celtic music, take a listen to some of my arrangements of traditional Irish tunes (http://www.verseandsong.com/song/bar...l-irish-tunes/) for baroque lute. I hope that mentioning the lute on a guitar forum is not too off topic.

Last edited by stephenarndt; 11-11-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: left out name of addressee
Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Thank you, Boox. Yes, I made all these recordings in a little less than two months. I played classical guitar for eight years in my twenties. For the last decade or so I have been playing instruments in the lute family (7- and 10-course Renaissance lute, 11- and 13-course baroque lute, vihuela de mano, and Renaissance guitar), all of which you can find on my website. Although I have been playing acoustic guitar for just eight weeks as of today, I think I had some skills that transferred rather easily. Far from being a musical genius, I don't even consider myself a guitarist yet. I do sight-read tablature rather well, though, so I would say that I can play certain pieces on the guitar but that I don't really play the guitar per se, though I am trying my best to learn.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenarndt View Post
Thank you, wcap. I am listening to your "Star of the County Down" arrangement. That's a song that I have always loved, and your version is very enjoyable. If you like Celtic music, take a listen to some of my arrangements of traditional Irish tunes (http://www.verseandsong.com/song/bar...l-irish-tunes/) for baroque lute. I hope that mentioning the lute on a guitar forum is not too off topic.
Thanks for your feedback on Star of the County Down. Our performance is rough around the edges (and especially through the middle!) but that recording was one of the really pleasant surprises for me from a little recording session we did as a family this past summer (we did really quick recordings of 12 pieces that we had just performed earlier in the day in a little concert). That is one of the only pieces that I currently play with a flatpick, and listening to the recording really opened my eyes (or ears?) to how well the sound of a flatpicked guitar can work in some situations. (And I love my wife's arrangements and my daughter's flute playing especially.)

Yes, as I was writing my posts above I was listening to some of Irish pieces on lute. Very nice. Talk all you want about lute here, as far as I'm concerned... I'll find it interesting! (But don't tell my family I'm having conversations about yet another instrument.....).

Regarding your big assortment of recordings.... I'm very impressed that you were able to have all of those pieces performance/recording ready all in two months. I guess your very good sight reading of tablature probably helped here?

I'd be interested in hearing the details of how you are doing these recordings as well (microphones, etc..... mic placement.... recording space...etc). You are getting a nice sound.

Last edited by wcap; 11-12-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your music and recordings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 AM

Just a quick answer to your recording question, mcap. I use a Fostex FR-2LE Memory Field Recorder and pair of Oktava Modified MK-012 microphones, which I place about two feet away from the instrument and about eighteen inches apart from each other, angling one at the sound hole and the other at the lower part of the neck. I add some gain and reverb in Samplitude SE No. 9. The "recording space" is just an upstairs room with a Pergo floor and lots of wooden antiques. That's about it for recording. The guitar is a Loar LO-16, which I bought new with a hardshell case for the ridiculous price of $300--I can't even buy a set of gut strings for a lute for that price and have lutes that cost about twenty times that much--but I think it has a pretty decent tone for a cheap instrument.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Hi Stephen,

You have made great progress in just a couple of months! Wow! Good for you! I realize that you've had experience with the classical guitar, and that will certainly help. Even so, this is great!

And welcome to the forum!

- Glenn
Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 AM

Thanks for sharing your resource. It's nice to find something really good in places like these. Are you a professional guitarist or you're starting all over again after the big break?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 AM

Welcome to AGF and how neat to hear these great blues tunes. You clearly are having a blast playing guitar again. Fun to return after some time off.

By the way, check your mail. I sent you a PM with a question about the mics.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 11-13-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 AM

Thank you, SaviArt. I am a strictly self-taught, amateur player. My main instruments are from the lute family (Renaissance lute, baroque lute, vihuela de mano, and Renaissance guitar), all of which you can see and hear on the relevant pages of my website: verseandsong.com. As for the acoustic guitar, I am starting from the beginning and learning as I go. Thank you again for listening and commenting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerstyle blues, original compositions, tab