The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Phil, What are the dimensions of the Meridian? Upper/lower bouts and overall length?
Nut – 1 25/32"
Saddle - 2 1/4"
Top bout 10 3/4”
Lower bout 15 1/2"
Waist 8 3/4”
Depth at heel – 4 1/4"
Depth at neck – 3 1/2"
Body length - 19 1/2"

That's a 1/4" larger lower bout than the CX, and I can definitely hear the bass presence.

Phil
Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Phil,
Sounds like the perfect size for the handbuilt target market of Old Farts. I just don't play anything bigger than an OM any more. Really just don't want to. So, this looks exactly right.
LC
Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM

I just returned from Phil's house in Oklahoma, where he was gracious enough to let me spend some quality time with the new Meridian. What a phenominal guitar............one of the finest instruments I've had the pleasure of playing, and I've been fortunate to play a lot of different guitars. The string seperation and bell like top end were just enchanting, and did I mention it's LOUD? Great guitar Phil.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Crust View Post
I just returned from Phil's house in Oklahoma, where he was gracious enough to let me spend some quality time with the new Meridian. What a phenominal guitar............one of the finest instruments I've had the pleasure of playing, and I've been fortunate to play a lot of different guitars. The string seperation and bell like top end were just enchanting, and did I mention it's LOUD? Great guitar Phil.
As I compare my CX (cedar and cocobolo) with Dorian's Meridian (spruce, Carpathian, I think, and cocobolo) the main difference is that the Meridian is much louder, and has MUCH more bass. I LOVE my CX, but I'm SO looking forward to getting the Meridian. It looks like early summer for arrival.

Jenn
Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
As I compare my CX (cedar and cocobolo) with Dorian's Meridian (spruce, Carpathian, I think, and cocobolo) the main difference is that the Meridian is much louder, and has MUCH more bass. I LOVE my CX, but I'm SO looking forward to getting the Meridian. It looks like early summer for arrival.

Jenn
I'll be at Mike's on 12 March, and hope to see yours in progress Jenn! And if not in progress I'll hope to see at least the raw woods...

John's right... we played the braz/German CX and the Meridian coco/blue spruce A/B and B/A and the Meridian had "glassy highs" and full, rich bass and articulate mids. Although I'm surely not the most subjective listener I could not find a flaw or "soft spot" anywhere in the tonal range.

It was a joy to listen and watch John play it!

Phil
Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I'll be at Mike's on 12 March, and hope to see yours in progress Jenn! And if not in progress I'll hope to see at least the raw woods...

John's right... we played the braz/German CX and the Meridian coco/blue spruce A/B and B/A and the Meridian had "glassy highs" and full, rich bass and articulate mids. Although I'm surely not the most subjective listener I could not find a flaw or "soft spot" anywhere in the tonal range.

It was a joy to listen and watch John play it!

Phil
Dang! I'll be in Reno on that day for a conducting thing, otherwise we could have perhaps met up at Mike's! I don't think that mine is started yet, as we haven't talked details on the options. I think that he does have the woods picked out, though.

Jenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop